Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who has been to Kauai ?

Mickalino

Can't you rent snorkeling equipment ? Or you don't recommend that ?

Yes. Do that. Go to Snorkel Bob's or one of the other places. Don't buy your own. Either you will buy junk, or you will pay a lot of money and it will end up rotting in your garage. Snorkeling is so much better with decent gear.

We have been going to Kauai for two weeks every year for the last 25 years. Everybody has pretty much covered most of the activities and hot spots. We kind of like the hidden away spots; like places you can lay on the beach all day and not see another soul.

On the north shore we like Anini Beach for wind surfing and Queen Emma's Bath for tutrle watching (around 4pm). In Kealia, just north of Kapaa is a great place to surf. However, if you need more of a beginners wave and a more secluded area you can try Kalihiwai Bay on the north side. Tunnels Beach has great snorkeling and diving along with an awesome view of Bali Hai.

If you are in to burgers, try Bubba Burgers....they are one of the best. They only use fresh local Kauai meat. There are three locations on the island.

Do you know a fellow member of ES "Liz of Kauai"? See lives there (on the west side) and we meet up with her every year to watch the Skins together. It is awesome watching the Redskins at 7 am in the morning. Drop her a note. See knows more that anyone else I know.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Amazing picture, dockery. Thanks for the tips, Predicto and Sonny.

My friend I'm goin with is really into scooters, and wants to rent one there.

Is it possible to see much of the island on a scooter, or do you need a car, to get around faster ?

I'm just wondering if we can save money on rental car, by getting a scooter.

get your birth certificate while you are there, they might detain you....or you might become president, who knows?

---------- Post added March-29th-2011 at 03:39 PM ----------

Canyon. The only active volcano is on the Big Island. Maui has a huge dormant volcano that is also interesting. Kauai is the oldest island of Hawaii, so it is the least volcanic, and most green.

it's actually a pretty cheap flight over to the big island on hawaiian airlines, and the hotel we stayed in was relatively cheap too. rent a car and drive around the island, and at night they have a lookout on top of old lava rock (watch out very very sharp if you trip and fall on it) where you can watch the lava flow into the ocean, pretty cool

---------- Post added March-29th-2011 at 03:44 PM ----------

Amazing picture, dockery. Thanks for the tips, Predicto and Sonny.

My friend I'm goin with is really into scooters, and wants to rent one there.

Is it possible to see much of the island on a scooter, or do you need a car, to get around faster ?

I'm just wondering if we can save money on rental car, by getting a scooter.

i wouldn't get a scooter to get around the island, too many quick turns on mountain sides and highways. they are made more for waikiki

i wouldn't get a scooter to get around the island, too many quick turns on mountain sides and highways. they are made more for waikiki

I think a scooter would be too uncomfortable. You could do it I suppose if you wanted to stay on paved roads only, but do you really want to stay on a scooter for an hour or more? Here's the canyon drive. I guess you could do it on a scooter, but I wouldn't.

AjLFU8-5MLA

But like I said about the middle of the island, you can't even do those roads in a regular rental car. Here is Kuamo'o road, and this is a main unpaved road. There are unnamed ones that are worse.

NufQe0imtzo

get your birth certificate while you are there, they might detain you....or you might become president, who knows?

I actually have a Hawaiian Birth Certificate in my possession. From the State of Hawaii :)

I think a scooter would be too uncomfortable. You could do it I suppose if you wanted to stay on paved roads only, but do you really want to stay on a scooter for an hour or more? Here's the canyon drive. I guess you could do it on a scooter, but I wouldn't.

But like I said about the middle of the island, you can't even do those roads in a regular rental car. Here is Kuamo'o road, and this is a main unpaved road. There are unnamed ones that are worse.

Thanks, more great and useful reference material.

Hey, I was just watching some show called something like "When Pigs Attack" or "Pigs Gone WIild" and it was about the growing nationwide problem about the millions of wild boars terrorizing communities, even venturing into residential neighborhoods and threatening people, pets, children, and tearing up yards.

They said that these wild boars can be found in almost all 50 states, and it's a major problem in many of them.

One of those states was Hawaii.

First thing that comes to my mind, then, is "While we're hiking, are we going to run into a band of these demonic boars, and get chewed and clawed to death ?"

Have you guys seen or heard about any of these beasts on the hawaiian trails ?

I actually have a Hawaiian Birth Certificate in my possession. From the State of Hawaii :)

Hey, I was just watching some show called something like "When Pigs Attack" or "Pigs Gone WIild" and it was about the growing nationwide problem about the millions of wild boars terrorizing communities, even venturing into residential neighborhoods and threatening people, pets, children, and tearing up yards.

They said that these wild boars can be found in almost all 50 states, and it's a major problem in many of them.

First thing that comes to my mind, then, is "While we're hiking, are we going to run into a band of these demonic boars, and get chewed and clawed to death ?"

They are a real ecological problem on the upper slopes of the mountains on the Big Island and on Maui, and in East Oahu. There are some unique and delicate ecosystems there that the pigs are ripping up badly, and the water tables are fouled. Some of the rarest plants and birds on earth are disappearing. However, I never heard of people being attacked just hiking. Dogs, however, have been mauled, and hunters have been charged.

I assume it is the same in Kauai.

I can't wait for the "I had a moment with a wild boar" thread.

I never heard of people being attacked just hiking.....however......hunters have been charged.
I can't wait for the "I had a moment with a wild boar" thread.

Well, according to Predicto it actually sounds like I might be safer without a gun, than with one. :paranoid:

Unless you are a soldier in an active war zone, that is usually the case.

Funny you should make that statement in the hawaiian thread, because I remember seeing a story about how some Viet Nam Vets are so mentally delusional from the war, that they still think the Nam war is going on, 30 years later, and they hunker down and hide in the jungles of Hawaii, threatening anyone's life who comes near them. I think that's on the Big Island.

Funny you should make that statement in the hawaiian thread, because I remember seeing a story about how some Viet Nam Vets are so mentally delusional from the war, that they still think the Nam war is going on, 30 years later, and they hunker down and hide in the jungles of Hawaii, threatening anyone's life who comes near them. I think that's on the Big Island.

That actually happened around here like 10 years ago. Elderly gentleman, WWII vet, dementia...hunkered down in a bush and died of thirst I believe.

Yes. Do that. Go to Snorkel Bob's or one of the other places. Don't buy your own. Either you will buy junk, or you will pay a lot of money and it will end up rotting in your garage. Snorkeling is so much better with decent gear.

I am a germophobe.

And using rented snorkeling equipment sounds disgusting to me.

I know they supposedly wash them in between, but are they truly sanitary ?

We did a helicopter ride over the big island. We got near the active volcano. We also went swimming with the manta rays (larger ones without the barbs in the tail). Those things are freaking HUGE! Some have a 20 ft wingspan. It was awesome. We drove though the Wiemaya Canyon, took an island tour of Oahu, went to the Polynesian Cultural Center and drove a convertable Mustang up and down the Hanna Trail. Did some snorkeling. Took a boat tour. Visited upteen waterfalls, canyons, lava tubes and caves. We did para-sailing for the first time. My wife and I went there for 13 days and visited 4 islands. We stay 3 days and 2 nights in each place. We made sure we did our research for local restauants to eat on each island. And of course, we went to the Arizona. We also went in personal submersibles (they look like underwater scooters) to feed the fish.

---------- Post added April-5th-2011 at 04:28 PM ----------

Thanks, all of you.

I noticed no-one mentioned the Fern Grotto. Any reason why ?

We took a boat tour to the fern grotto. Worth it. Nice slow boat ride to the grotto. Rainbow falls sucked. Not very spectacular and we didn't really see a rainbow.

---------- Post added April-5th-2011 at 04:33 PM ----------

The bridge to the 7 pools were closed. We were so bummed. We wanted to swim in them.

You have to rent a car on Kauai, the Big Island and Maui. We rented a small car in Kauai (wish we did the convertible for the Canyon), the convertible for Maui to drive the Hana Trail and a small car for the Big Island (you will use alot of gas if you drive all over it.) You don't need a car if you go to Oahu. Plenty of public transportation, shuttles and buses.

As I recall, there are a lot of wild chickens and goats in Kauai. One of the locals told us that a hurricane back-in-the-day blew away a lot of fences and chicken coops across the island. Now there are wild chickens and goats roaming the island. If you're out on the water you can see the goats climbing the side of the mountains.

As I recall, there are a lot of wild chickens and goats in Kauai. One of the locals told us that a hurricane back-in-the-day blew away a lot of fences and chicken coops across the island. Now there are wild chickens and goats roaming the island. If you're out on the water you can see the goats climbing the side of the mountains.

I remember them saying that. It's true.

I remember them saying that. It's true.

Do they attack ?

Just came up with a few more questions for you guys.

1) I've heard about the coffee trade in Hawaii. Is the locally grown coffee noticeably better in Kauai, than the mainland ?

2) Where exactly is this Kipu Falls one of you spoke of ? I am intrigued of the acitivity of swinging on a rope like Tarzan into a natural pool, and would like to know how to get there ?

3) Since much of the island is not accessible by road or 2-wheel drive, can you venture much by renting a jet-ski, and seeing scenic places by water, or is that not possible or allowed ?

4) What of the myth about bad luck of taking rocks from Hawaii back to the mainland ?

Do they attack ?

The chickens and the goats? aww hell no. Very docile. They are used to people.

---------- Post added April-11th-2011 at 11:33 AM ----------

Just came up with a few more questions for you guys.

1) I've heard about the coffee trade in Hawaii. Is the locally grown coffee noticeably better in Kauai, than the mainland ?

2) Where exactly is this Kipu Falls one of you spoke of ? I am intrigued of the acitivity of swinging on a rope like Tarzan into a natural pool, and would like to know how to get there ?

3) Since much of the island is not accessible by road or 2-wheel drive, can you venture much by renting a jet-ski, and seeing scenic places by water, or is that not possible or allowed ?

4) What of the myth about bad luck of taking rocks from Hawaii back to the mainland ?

We actually order coffee beans from the Kona Coast on the big island. We order 3 bags at around $25 a piece and drink it on the weekends only. We use are crappy Maxwell House during the week.

Not sure where they are. There are so many falls, I couldn't keep track of them.

I imagine you can. There are boat/catamaran tours. Check with your hotel desk and they can tell you. They are real helpful.

Yeah, they tell you not to take volcano rocks back because it's bad luck and you will anger the gods. Don't quote me on this, but I also think it may be against Hawaiian law.

We actually order coffee beans from the Kona Coast on the big island. We order 3 bags at around $25 a piece and drink it on the weekends only. We use are crappy Maxwell House during the week.

You order the Kona beans from the mainland U.S., or while you're staying on one of the other islands ?

And why do you just drink it on the weekends ? To save money due to a cost difference ?

Mahalo a nui !!

You order the Kona beans from the mainland U.S., or while you're staying on one of the other islands ?

And why do you just drink it on the weekends ? To save money due to a cost difference ?

Mahalo a nui !!

Yeah, we order them online. I live in South Carolina. They are really good, so we only drink them on the weekends as a special treat. They last us about 1 year (3 bags) when we only drink it on the weekend. I can sit and enjoy many cups on the weekend without being rushed. I think the last time my wife ordered them, it was around $84 for the 3 bags. And because we are a repeat customer, they sent us an extra smaller bag. We like these flavors: Private Reserve, Dark Roast and Full City Roast.

Yeah, we order them online. I live in South Carolina. They are really good, so we only drink them on the weekends as a special treat. They last us about 1 year (3 bags) when we only drink it on the weekend. I can sit and enjoy many cups on the weekend without being rushed. I think the last time my wife ordered them, it was around $84 for the 3 bags. And because we are a repeat customer, they sent us an extra smaller bag. We like these flavors: Private Reserve, Dark Roast and Full City Roast.

But can you get it in Kauai ? :)

:40oz: :refill:

I have not been to Kauai, but I have been to the main island, Maui, and Oahu (Honolulu). My best experience was in Maui. Of all the beaches we went to, the ones at Maui were the best. Honolulu was actually pretty disappointing. In Maui, we stayed 8 days at a beautiful two story condo near the beach. Loved every minute I spent there. But it has been more than half my life since I was there. I bet I'd appreciate it even more now.

Archived