Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Comedy Central Roast of Donald Trump: My Assessment

Oversized Toddler

Did anyone else catch this last night? It was decent/below average (nowhere near as funny as past roasts) but calling The Situation awful at comedy is an insult to people that have never told a joke before.

I am a huge comedy buff, have been since I was little. The roasts are usually fun and hilarious, but they dropped the ball big time last night. Greg Geraldo was definitely more dearly missed than anyone could have guessed going in. There were problems all over the place, so I will break down my assessment of it piece by piece.

Larry King was probably the funniest roaster. That fact alone should clue you in as to how horrible it truly was. I have to give him credit, his delivery was spot on, and his jokes were so good that it almost felt awkward to laugh, simply because it was Larry King.

Jeff Ross and Lisa Lampanelli gave their typical solid performances, but they're both insult comics, so it fits right into their shtick. Snoop Dogg was also spot on, as usual, but these three are always a gimme on the roasts.

Gilbert Gotfried made a cameo appearance as an interpreter at one point. I expected a lot from him, because he made his name by being insulting and abrasive. Sadly though, he did not deliver. I don't think anyone laughed the entire time he was delivering his rant. Shocking to me, because he lives for stuff like this.

Then there is The Situation. Right off the bat, just because he's a jersey Shore d-bag, I didn't want to laugh at all. Good think he didn't make me, or anyone else laugh. His delivery was beyond pathetic. The ENTIRE time he was up, nobody laughed, you could hear a cricket chirp. Then about half way through, he began to be booed off the stage, something I have never seen in all the years I have been watching comedy. It wasn't just that his delivery was terrible though. He also had a problem telling jokes, like the fact he didn't tell but one. He made me half chuckle when he pointed out Trump's hair and said not many people can pull off a hat like that. The rest of his appearance was not telling jokes, it was him attempting to explain to everyone why he is so awesome. it was truly pathetic. An example was when he pointed out some random guy I had never heard of on stage, and began to deliver this gem....."I know you're a funny guy. I know, because last night when I was banging a super model on a stack of money, I told her one of your jokes and she laughed." It was all pretty much that from him. Just one explanation after another of why he thinks he's so great, admired and envied. Sadly for him, not only was it not funny, it wasn't true. I loved watching Snoop rail on him for ten minutes when he came up though, and it made me realize maybe they only brought The Situation there for fodder.

I must say, as high as my expectations were for this roast, it was a huge letdown overall. The funny jokes were hilarious, but they were in short supply. If you had to pick a roast to miss, this one should be it.

I saw the one on William Shatner, which was the first one I've ever watched from beginning to end. A lot of it really feels forced, though that could be because so many of the comics are reading off sheets of paper. Also, they spent more time making fun of the other comics than they did of Shatner. George Takai got it pretty badly, and so did Andy Dick, who really is an annoying guy.

Roasts are such a limiting format that every single one of these sounds alike.

"Lisa Lampenelli's vagina has offered comfort to make black criminals than Quanell X." Repeat ad nauseum.

It's basically Mad Libs now.

I agree, a lot of it gets rehashed, but some of the cracks on Lisa Lampanelli last night were new. The one chick came out and said Lisa Lampanelli wanted to be on some lesbian show, but the only way she'd eat ***** was if there were fries stuffed in it :ols:

Larry King was completely original when it came to Snoop. He said Snoop told him he was only 71% black, so it must mean he's 29% not guilty. The Lisa Lampanelli black jokes were all new for the first time in the history of the roasts. There were definitely a whole new set of lines last night, they just weren't as funny as the ones from the past. It actually upset me that I stayed up until midnight watching it.

Oh, and I can't remember who said it, but someone said The Situation was so orange that Snoop should be wearing him like a shirt while he blows his cell mate. It made the audience cringe in shock, but Snoop was loving it.

Flavor Flav roast, The Hoffs roast and Leary roasts are my favorites.

Leary's Roast was great for a reason - all those guys knew him exceptionally well. He went to college with half the comedians and did stand up in his 20s with the other half. That's when these Roasts work. Because it's not something out of a joke book. Mario Cantell talking about **** Leary did sophomore year of college is interesting. Whitney Cummings screeching a hacky joke about Trump's hair is not.

The best part of the Leary roast was his response and talking about Lenny Clark running for mayor of Cambridge in the 80s. I don't think Trump knew the names of the half the people who were roasting him.

George Takei was great at Shatner's because he 40 years of animosity with him and it call came out in a funny way.

You know who would be a fabulous honoree for a Roast?

You are going to laugh, but wait for it.

Seriously....it's brilliant...and you are going to think I'm nuts.

Paulie Shore.

Every comedian in America has known Paulie Shore since he was a toddler. Half of them babysat him. The other half did coke with him. He would be perfect.

(Paulie Shore's mother owned The Comedy Store in LA for a million years. For 25 years, it was the most important comedy club in America and the ultimate goal for everyone. And she apparently ran it like a deli in Brooklyn).

I didn't think it was great but I certainly didn't think it was that bad. Snoop and Anthony Jeselnik were the funniest with Seth MacFarlane delivering some killers here and there. Specifically his line about Trump being so in love with himself that when he's banging a super model he closes his eyes and imagines himself masturbating. I thought that was hilarious. Snoops joke about about there being a word for a guy with plucked eyebrows, shaved chest, overly styled hair (that word being "gay") was great too.

Situation however was every bit as bad you said if not worse.

It should also be noted that Trump's part at the end was better than I expected.

Seth MacFarlane delivering some killers here and there. Specifically his line about Trump being so in love with himself that when he's banging a super model he closes his eyes and imagines himself masturbating.

Absolute gold, and easily the best joke of the night. I had forgotten all about it until you said something too. The Situation must have given me amnesia :ols:

Just watched this last night. I definitely didn't think it was the worst roast ever but it wasn't the best either. Jeff Ross was awesome, Whitney Cummings was pretty good, Snoop was good and I thought Marlee Matlin was good too. The new kid (don't remember his name) was even pretty funny. The Situation bombed but I think his material was pretty good, his delivery was just atrocious. I'd say it was an average to slightly above average roast. I figured they would sorely miss Greg Giraldo and IMO, they did. Had he been there and delivered one of his awesome rants, I think it would've made the whole thing better, but all in all I didn't think it was too bad.

I thought Snoop was the best, followed by Justin whoever he was. Whitney Cummings is usually good but let me down, Lisa Lampinelli is consistent, you don't get much new stuff but always get a good laugh from her delivery. Gilbert Godfried can talk about anything and it just comes out funny, so I enjoy seeing him. I like Jeff Ross and thought he did well, as always.

If I was running the roasts, I would invite the Situation back for like the next 3 in a row, just as a joke. He would do it just to keep his face on tv, it would give the other comics something to legitimately make fun of, and give Comedy Central a new gimmick to promote with. I have no interest in hearing him speak, mind you, but I think it would keep things interesting while they try to figure out how to replace Greg Giraldo's presence.

If I was running the roasts, I would invite the Situation back for like the next 3 in a row, just as a joke. He would do it just to keep his face on tv, it would give the other comics something to legitimately make fun of, and give Comedy Central a new gimmick to promote with. I have no interest in hearing him speak, mind you, but I think it would keep things interesting while they try to figure out how to replace Greg Giraldo's presence.

I also think Daniel Tosh and/or Chelsea Handler would be very good on one of the roasts. They made that joke about Tosh which made it sound like they had asked him about it but he turned it down...not sure if that was true or not though.

I actually thought Marlee Matlin was pretty funny despite not being able to talk very well. Her signs for each celebrity was pretty funny.

Snoop was good. I thought King did a good job, Lampinelli and Ross, same old same old.

The new comic wasn't great and McFarlane has his moments. Whitney Cummings wasn't good. The Situation was awful.

And is Gilbert Godfrey on meth???? I didn't understand a freaking thing he was talking about. If you guys thought he was the least bit funny, you must be on meth too. He was terrrible.

I also think Daniel Tosh and/or Chelsea Handler would be very good on one of the roasts. They made that joke about Tosh which made it sound like they had asked him about it but he turned it down...not sure if that was true or not though.

Tosh did a bit about being roasted on the most recent episode of Tosh.O, Lisa Lampanelli and Jeff Ross both had cameos, and it was about how he was so great that they had nothing bad to say about him. Not sure if that was related to his mention on the Roast or not.

And is Gilbert Godfrey on meth???? I didn't understand a freaking thing he was talking about. If you guys thought he was the least bit funny, you must be on meth too. He was terrrible.

Exactly. I am a huge fan of his, but I was completely disappointed. I've heard a lot of people mention how funny he was. I don't know, maybe I just didn't get it, because he was awful IMO.

An example was when he pointed out some random guy I had never heard of on stage, and began to deliver this gem....."I know you're a funny guy. I know, because last night when I was banging a super model on a stack of money, I told her one of your jokes and she laughed."

Your delivery of that joke was a LOT better than his. :)

Archived