Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will the NFL's CBA fight pale into comparision to the NBA's?

88Comrade2000

So how do you want this owners-players impass settled?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. So how do you want this owners-players impass settled?

• Players win in court and crush the owners.
    • Owners win in court and crush the players.
    • Court imposes a deal that neither side likes.
    • Players drop lawsuits and give into owners demands.
    • Owners give in players demands and give players what they want.
    • Owners and players eventually reach a negotiated settlement.
    • NFL goes completely out of business and the richer, big market owners form a new league.
    • Some other way_____________________.

It's going to be real interesting to see what happens if they implement a hard cap in the NBA like some (Ted Leonsis) are saying they will. What do the teams who have a huge amount of money locked up in 2 or 3 players going to do? They're most definitely doing the Allan Houston Rule again (bye Blatche!!!) so maybe that would take care of that?

The owners say they want to reduce costs, and then hand out $110 million to Chris F'n Bosh. They are going to want a hard cap, franchise tag, and several other cost cutting moves. And the union is going to laugh at them and point to the spending sprees they seem to go on every summer.

So, yes, I think there is a good chance this labor fight is more contentious than the NFL fight.

I think the NBA will be in real trouble. Like some said, the difference is that there a NBA teams losing money and lots of it. And the fact that only a few teams seem to be able to actually compete every year, I think the owners will want to fix that. Then if they add a salary cap and franchise players, I'm not sure how much the players will like that. Will definitely be something to keep an eye on.

It's going to be real interesting to see what happens if they implement a hard cap in the NBA like some (Ted Leonsis) are saying they will. What do the teams who have a huge amount of money locked up in 2 or 3 players going to do? They're most definitely doing the Allan Houston Rule again (bye Blatche!!!) so maybe that would take care of that?

I actually think we'll use it on Rashard Lewis instead.

Unlike the NFL, the players have the most to loose in this. Fully guaranteed contracts have to go along with the luxury tax. No luxury tax means more teams will look to develop non lotto picks. I'd like to see stricter provisions for foreign players as well. Coming to the NBA? Find a way to be completely free from your international league teams. Really hate what pansies like Ricky Rubio are doing.

Even if we don't get basketball for a year, the league will be a lot better when it comes back.

Unlike the NFL, the players have the most to loose in this. Fully guaranteed contracts have to go along with the luxury tax. No luxury tax means more teams will look to develop non lotto picks. I'd like to see stricter provisions for foreign players as well. Coming to the NBA? Find a way to be completely free from your international league teams. Really hate what pansies like Ricky Rubio are doing.

Even if we don't get basketball for a year, the league will be a lot better when it comes back.

I agree with this

the league will benefit long term from a lockout

Not so sure about Lewis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he has just one more (incentive based) year left on his contract at 9 million (when he doesn't reach the qualifying numbers.) Blatche has four years left :doh: at 7 mil per.

Totally agree with the rest. Heard its a lock that the MLE is going to be gone as well.

The NBA has much less leverage as it's a league with far less overall popularity (and wealth) than that of the NFL. They're already talking about contracting the league and eliminating a couple teams. I don't think given the current state of our country's economy too many people will feel sorry for owners or players haggling over millions of dollars. (though no true sports fan could live with a league cancelling a season, good God where would I gamble!)

Archived