Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WSJ: The Car Faster Than a Speeding Bullet

China

The Car Faster Than a Speeding Bullet

Formula 1 is seen as the apogee of engineering excellence and automotive power. So it says something that in Bloodhound SSC — the car that, if all goes well, in 2013 will shatter the current land speed record — the Cosworth Formula 1 engine is just the fuel pump.

“We are creating the ultimate car; we’re going where no-one has gone before,” said Richard Noble, the project director.

The car, which Mr. Noble says takes £10,000 a day just to keep it ticking over, will be powered by not one, but two other engines. The smaller one, the EJ200, is normally found in the British Royal Air Force’s Typhoon jet. Its job is to get the 13.4 meter long car up to 350 miles per hour.

That’s when the big one kicks in. The big one is the 18-inch diameter, 12-foot-long Falcon rocket, the largest of its kind ever made in the U.K. Its job is to catapult the car through the sound barrier to its maximum speed of 1,050 mph. That is, literally, faster than a speeding bullet.

To get there, the Cosworth CA2010 engine has to inject one ton of fuel into the rocket within 20 seconds. That’s why you need an F1 engine as a fuel pump. Cosworth is also providing the rocket control system which will manage the ignition, fuel supply and shutdown of the Falcon rocket. The Northampton-based company is also providing the telemetric system.

The triumvirate of power together form the most powerful land vehicle ever built.

Click on the link for the full article

I don't consider it a car if its powered by a rocket. That would make it a rocket with wheels. Cars are propelled to their maximum speed by engines, not rockets. This is a car which has a top speed of 350 miles per hour as well as a rocket which may break the sound barrier while rolling along the ground. Woo hoo.

Whoo the negative Nancys in this thread....

Would you want one ?

Is it worth the money ?

---------- Post added March-8th-2011 at 10:18 AM ----------

If it has wheels, I'll give it the nod as a car, but it must be manned to get credit as a record breaker IMO.

They are calling the driver a pilot. That says how useless it is.

EDIT: A bike has wheels. As does a tricycle.

Seems like a waste of time and money for them to even do this.

Fun, yet still stupid.

There is and will be zero need for this product. Even after reading the article it seems silly.

LOL

He steal your idea or something?

It's not your money or your time being wasted so I'm not sure why you would cry over this....

LOL

He steal your idea or something?

It's not your money or your time being wasted so I'm not sure why you would cry over this....

Not at all. But what is the purpose ? Noy crying sorry son, I just think it is stupid and a waste of time for them to do. Perhaps this is too.

I don't think the goal of the project is retail sales.

What do you care if it's not your money?

So the finality of it is to break a speed record with no viable usage ? Thanks.

Also from the article;

Wing Commander Andy Green will pilot the car as it speeds across the Hakskeen Pan, Northern Cape, in South Africa in 2013. If successful, Bloodhound will not only shatter the current land speed record — held by Wing Cmdr. Green in Thrust SSC and standing at 763.035 mph — but given the altitude of the Hakskeen Pan, around 3,000 feet, it will also exceed the official air speed record at low altitude (which stands at 994 mph).

LOL, that's awesome. And with wheels on it (that aren't landing gear).

Archived