Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Very impressed with Jake Locker interview on Total Access

pram11

Had an on-field interview with Mayock and Billick. Very well spoken and honest in his self-assessment. Acknowledged his accuracy issues and demonstrated how his prior baseball days have adversely affected his footwork, which in turn has caused accuracy issues. Did a nice job showing the drills he's working to improve. Just came across as an impressive guy with the kind of stand-up intangibles you want out of your quarterback.

If you look at the interview you see him looking away from camara and the TA crew when giving answers. That means that he is thinking pretty hard about the answer, it is not top mind.

Could mean he has a slow brain, thinks before giving an answer (not a ?blabbermouth?) or he thought about what his agent told him. You even saw Mayock giving the 'aahll typical by agent trained answer' look one time.

Otherwise good interview, only I would like him to say something like....'F**** MLB, I am going to be a football player'. When somebody says but you are also drafted by the Angels an can play MLB if you want, football doesn't work out. Show his love for the game.

The guy will need to sit for a year or so but if developed correctly, he will easily be the best QB out of this draft class.

I'd have no complaints if we traded down and nabbed him somehow.

Agreed...I think he's the perfect QB for Shanahan's system. What if we could trade back from 10 to later in the first and nab him, while picking up another second? That would be ideal IMO. I would just be afraid Minny might take him at 12.

Agreed...I think he's the perfect QB for Shanahan's system. What if we could trade back from 10 to later in the first and nab him, while picking up another second? That would be ideal IMO. I would just be afraid Minny might take him at 12.

You never know how quarterbacks go. If Locker is there and you think he's your future, you grab him at 10 because Minny is sitting two spots behind you.

Don't be surprised if Minny trades with Dallas. Dallas could do that just to spite us.

He might blow up at the combine or something, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone talking about this guy as a first round draft pick. The talk of taking him at #10 is ludicrous.

No one doubts Locker's intangibles... but many doubt his ability to be a solid NFL QB. He's not accurate. Slice it up how you want, he's good out of the pocket, he had poor talent around him, he has bad footwork... it's very rare for a proven low accuracy QB to dramatically increase their accuracy going from the college ranks to the pro ranks.

People can't wait to start hyping this kid again. Maybe he can throw a football through the goalpost when on one knee... if he can we should totally trade UP for him. :doh:

If you look at the interview you see him looking away from camara and the TA crew when giving answers. That means that he is thinking pretty hard about the answer, it is not top mind.

Could mean he has a slow brain, thinks before giving an answer (not a ?blabbermouth?) or he thought about what his agent told him. You even saw Mayock giving the 'aahll typical by agent trained answer' look one time.

Thats pretty deep man. You should work for the FBI or something. I will go with he was a bit nervous because he is on primetime on NFL network. And to everyone else who thinks he is worth a top 20 pick. You are dillusional. He may be awsome some day but he will be a MAJOR gamble to grab in the first round. I am all over picking him in the second but thanks but no thanks in the first.

He might blow up at the combine or something, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone talking about this guy as a first round draft pick. The talk of taking him at #10 is ludicrous.

No one doubts Locker's intangibles... but many doubt his ability to be a solid NFL QB. He's not accurate. Slice it up how you want, he's good out of the pocket, he had poor talent around him, he has bad footwork... it's very rare for a proven low accuracy QB to dramatically increase their accuracy going from the college ranks to the pro ranks.

People can't wait to start hyping this kid again. Maybe he can throw a football through the goalpost when on one knee... if he can we should totally trade UP for him. :doh:

The people talking about him not going #10 are draftniks. They have no idea what they are talking about and the idea of formulating mock drafts this early is futile. The Kipers, McShays and Mayocks of the world have little real world scouting experience and basically make the scouting role a little more media friendly. The Buntings and Rangs of the world have no idea what a team would do and have no true sense of value a player has. Once each player's pro day is held, you'll be able to say this kid is or is not a first rounder. He has first round talent. That's apparent. The question he needs to answer to be a first rounder is with his footwork, said to be the easiest thing to correct for a QB.

The people talking about him not going #10 are draftniks. They have no idea what they are talking about and the idea of formulating mock drafts this early is futile. The Kipers, McShays and Mayocks of the world have little real world scouting experience and basically make the scouting role a little more media friendly. The Buntings and Rangs of the world have no idea what a team would do and have no true sense of value a player has. Once each player's pro day is held, you'll be able to say this kid is or is not a first rounder. He has first round talent. That's apparent. The question he needs to answer to be a first rounder is with his footwork, said to be the easiest thing to correct for a QB.

This is a very valid point because going off game film alone is difficult as the college game offers only a few views of NFL type throws per game. They brought this up as well yesterday on NFL network.

A main part of their job also consists of talking to team scouts to gauge their opinion. They do two things: they evaluate the players on their own and (infinitely more important) they mock based on information they glean from teams they talk to.

All you hear about is this guy's stock plummeting. Just google "Jake Locker stock". I don't know if we can be so dismissive. When there is that much smoke it's probably a fire. His workouts will impact where he goes in the draft but, from what he's displayed thus far (game tape/senior bowl) he is clearly trending downward.

I'm not against Locker, but I think to be talking about him right now at #10 is a huge reach. Maybe if he transforms into a good QB in the next few weeks that might change, but as of right now I don't see how anyone can give an unbiased take that he deserves to go in the first half of the first round.

This from a former scout and front office executive.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/q-and-a-with-n-f-l-talent-evaluator-russ-lande/

"And I think Jake Locker hurt himself, I really do. There’s no question physically that he’s got all the tools. He’s got good mechanics, but his accuracy is terrible. I know I spoke to a coach today to get his opinion and he said if a guy’s mechanics are good and he’s smart enough, but his accuracy stinks then there’s not a lot you can do. You’re pretty much saying that you’re always going to have an inaccurate thrower. And if you can’t be accurate you cannot be a quarterback in the N.F.L. I think Locker hurt himself a lot this week."

You never know how quarterbacks go. If Locker is there and you think he's your future, you grab him at 10 because Minny is sitting two spots behind you.

Don't be surprised if Minny trades with Dallas. Dallas could do that just to spite us.

You know, I had this thought about if ANY QB fell to us. Dallas being right in front can not only benefit, but also make sure we don't get our guy by trading down with a team like Minnesota. Or if they don't trade down, and we end up selecting a QB that gives them nightmares for the next 15 years, it would make a great storyline.

A main part of their job also consists of talking to team scouts to gauge their opinion. They do two things: they evaluate the players on their own and (infinitely more important) they mock based on information they glean from teams they talk to.

All you hear about is this guy's stock plummeting. Just google "Jake Locker stock". I don't know if we can be so dismissive. When there is that much smoke it's probably a fire. His workouts will impact where he goes in the draft but, from what he's displayed thus far (game tape/senior bowl) he is clearly trending downward.

I don't disagree with that but my point about the draftniks was simply that they rate a player from their own rating system and then project him based on needs they feel teams have. They'll say, this kid has first round talent according to me (and really just cause we all agree and some old scout said so) and team x needs that position but three teams ahead need that position too so being that this kid is my 4th talent, I'm sticking him here in this slot. It's really not an impressive way to do it but it gets us talking and at least gives us an overall picture of where a player may land. I realize most of this post is given and should probably go unsaid. :ols:

---------- Post added February-25th-2011 at 12:16 PM ----------

You know, I had this thought about if ANY QB fell to us. Dallas being right in front can not only benefit, but also make sure we don't get our guy by trading down with a team like Minnesota. Or if they don't trade down, and we end up selecting a QB that gives them nightmares for the next 15 years, it would make a great storyline.

Oh you know it's going to happen. First thing I thought of when I found out Dallas was right ahead of us. They will either grab our Dlineman or trade with Minny to screw us on our QB.

I agree with this. I think he's a top of the second round player. I think if we use the #10 on him we've overspent by a very long mile. If he's there when we pick in the second I believe he would be a great pick for us. Won't cost too much if he busts out but has the potential to be great with the right teaching

Locker's value is in the second round.

Unless by some sort of super hype that happens in the combine I can't see him realistically going in the first round maybe in the late first round but that would mean some team is trading up to get him.

I think he's going in the second. But he'll have to slide past Carolina, 49ers, the bills, Arizona, and the titans for the redskins to take him. All of them could take a QB.

Unless Shanny is soo impressed with Locker that he trades up to take him, i doubt he'll be a redskin.

More likely the redskins go

1st Pick: DL or OLB

2nd Pick: NT or Oline

It seems the more the scouts see of this guy, the more they turn into every UW fan I know who have been mystified by the hype for a year now. He definitely has great physical skills, but...

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/02/scouting-qbs

Jake Locker: “He’s so far away. The guy didn’t complete a pass until the third quarter of his bowl game. … He looks like a baseball player.”

He's not accurate. Slice it up how you want, he's good out of the pocket, he had poor talent around him, he has bad footwork... it's very rare for a proven low accuracy QB to dramatically increase their accuracy going from the college ranks to the pro ranks.

I've heard draft experts say that he's inconsistent w/ his accuracy in the pocket at times.

I've also heard them say that he has excellent accuracy on the move.

I haven't read any reports that unequivocally call say he's not accurate.

If you mean he has a low comp % I would agree.

But, even despite spending his first 2 season (he was injured early game 2 IIRC) w/ Ty Willingham where Jake was the main running threat and under developed as a passer he still has a comp % close to Jay Cutler, Matt Stafford and Josh Freeman all of whom arguably had better talent around then Locker and all of whom comp % increased in the NFL.

I've heard draft experts say that he's inconsistent w/ his accuracy in the pocket at times.

I've also heard them say that he has excellent accuracy on the move.

I haven't read any reports that unequivocally call say he's not accurate.

If you mean he has a low comp % I would agree.

But, even despite spending his first 2 season (he was injured early game 2 IIRC) w/ Ty Willingham where Jake was the main running threat and under developed as a passer he still has a comp % close to Jay Cutler, Matt Stafford and Josh Freeman all of whom arguably had better talent around then Locker and all of whom comp % increased in the NFL.

This was part of the same post.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...or-russ-lande/

"And I think Jake Locker hurt himself, I really do. There’s no question physically that he’s got all the tools. He’s got good mechanics, but his accuracy is terrible. I know I spoke to a coach today to get his opinion and he said if a guy’s mechanics are good and he’s smart enough, but his accuracy stinks then there’s not a lot you can do. You’re pretty much saying that you’re always going to have an inaccurate thrower. And if you can’t be accurate you cannot be a quarterback in the N.F.L. I think Locker hurt himself a lot this week."

I'll add this on as well:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/1/27/1959042/2011-nfl-draft-senior-bowl-jake-locker

Accuracy

Typically, if a quarterback is mechanically sound, he doesn't have problems delivering the football accurately. The consensus on Locker, however, is that accuracy is his biggest weakness, despite earning a moderate amount of praise for his mechanics.

Tony Pauline (DraftInsider.net) didn't sound particularly fond of Locker on any of the first three practice days: "... for every one good pass he would toss there would be four or five terrible throws. Was high of the mark and constantly had receivers reaching backwards to grab the ball."

Rob Rang (NFLDraftScout.com) also didn't like Locker's accuracy: "... he struggled again to connect consistently with receivers while standing in the pocket, coming up short on multiple throws to the wide side of the field. It is clear the Pac-10 star passer is aiming or pressing, trying to be perfect on every throw instead of allowing his athleticism and arm strength to shine through."

Farrar, Wright, Bunting and ESPN's Todd McShay all mentioned accuracy issues, as well. This is the one area in which a group consensus was reached.

http://nflbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/nflbuzz/senior_bowl_observations/4039150

- I may wind up being wrong about this, but I don’t see how University of Washington QB Jake Locker will be selected in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft. His passing mechanics continue to be a big issue. He rarely put together two accurate passes in a row and his release point needs to be adjusted. Sure, he has a lot of things going for him such as leadership and athleticism, but the most important characteristic for a quarterback to possess is ability to throw the ball accurately—something which has plagued him throughout his career.

This was part of the same post.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...or-russ-lande/

I'll add this on as well:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/1/27/1959042/2011-nfl-draft-senior-bowl-jake-locker

Accuracy

Typically, if a quarterback is mechanically sound, he doesn't have problems delivering the football accurately. The consensus on Locker, however, is that accuracy is his biggest weakness, despite earning a moderate amount of praise for his mechanics.

Tony Pauline (DraftInsider.net) didn't sound particularly fond of Locker on any of the first three practice days: "... for every one good pass he would toss there would be four or five terrible throws. Was high of the mark and constantly had receivers reaching backwards to grab the ball."

Rob Rang (NFLDraftScout.com) also didn't like Locker's accuracy: "... he struggled again to connect consistently with receivers while standing in the pocket, coming up short on multiple throws to the wide side of the field. It is clear the Pac-10 star passer is aiming or pressing, trying to be perfect on every throw instead of allowing his athleticism and arm strength to shine through."

Farrar, Wright, Bunting and ESPN's Todd McShay all mentioned accuracy issues, as well. This is the one area in which a group consensus was reached.

http://nflbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/nflbuzz/senior_bowl_observations/4039150

- I may wind up being wrong about this, but I don’t see how University of Washington QB Jake Locker will be selected in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft. His passing mechanics continue to be a big issue. He rarely put together two accurate passes in a row and his release point needs to be adjusted. Sure, he has a lot of things going for him such as leadership and athleticism, but the most important characteristic for a quarterback to possess is ability to throw the ball accurately—something which has plagued him throughout his career.

They haven't done a lot of research on Locker, seems they've been lazy and are copying other people's opinion. Elocution, indeed.

I was impressed with Locker. He looks and sounds like a stud NFL QB. BUT at times his game play is no where near an NFL caliber player. The only thing that really matters though is what Shanny thinks of him......I agree not top 10 but if Tebow can seek into the 1st RD then anything is possible.

Archived