Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Computer Help Thread - New Question Post 40

Forehead

yeah it shouldn't matter, are there other users with this same setup at her location? if so, are they experiencing the same problem or she is she the only one with the issue?

for the person asking about antivirus - free version: i like avg, pay version: i like zone alarm...and i have a homerism for symantec, but that's just me :)

EDIT: also just confirming is her printer shared? and are the drivers for the local printer on the server as well?

The printer is not shared, but I could put it on the network if I need to. And she's the only one using an RDP connection. Everyone else is ICA and they have no problems

If it makes you feel any better i'm disassembling my workstation to the MB/processor, installing a new video card, cpu cooler, sound card, speakers, and adjusting my bios to default to surround view for 3 monitors...i'm an excited nerd :geek:

It almost makes me feel better...Then I remember that my evening is a desperate last-ditch attempt to save my programs and data before an agonizing reformatting and installation process.

Yours is to make your setup more badass.

I'll try Avira tonight as well. So my itinerary for tonight is to run SuperAntiSpyware Portable in Safe Mode W/ Networking and see what that does. If that doesn't work I'll try SuperAntiSpyware full just in case, but if the first didn't work that won't either I'm sure, after that I'll burn Avira off of my laptop as an iso and try to boot from that. Action-packed evening!

lol...sounds like a delightful evening! You shouldn't need to run the full scan wit SAS, just do the quick scan. Also, I forgot to mention with Avira, make sure you set the action on anything it finds to rename file. Don't set it to delete the file in case it turns out to be something you need.The interface is a little clunky, but you'll find the options. Good luck.

Edit: I just booted up a PC to Avira because I didn't want to give you any bad info. To update the definitions, you just got to the update tab, pretty self explanatory. On the Configuration tab, you want it set to Repair Infected File with the option to rename the file if it cannot be repaired.

The printer is not shared, but I could put it on the network if I need to. And she's the only one using an RDP connection. Everyone else is ICA and they have no problems

Go ahead and set the printer to shared, or put it on the network so that the driver is at least available.

The fact that she is the only one with this problem is leading me to think it is a printer setting or firewall setting on her profile specifically. But this is all just off the top of my head as I don't know your network or images, and we are just brainstorming on a message board.

It almost makes me feel better...Then I remember that my evening is a desperate last-ditch attempt to save my programs and data before an agonizing reformatting and installation process.

Yours is to make your setup more badass.

lol, yup, it will be, although at some point after we move i still have to setup a separate station on the same desk as a server, and maybe setup a RAID 0....oh the possibilities

lol...sounds like a delightful evening! You shouldn't need to run the full scan wit SAS, just do the quick scan. Also, I forgot to mention with Avira, make sure you set the action on anything it finds to rename file. Don't set it to delete the file in case it turns out to be something you need.The interface is a little clunky, but you'll find the options. Good luck.

Edit: I just booted up a PC to Avira because I didn't want to give you any bad info. To update the definitions, you just got to the update tab, pretty self explanatory. On the Configuration tab, you want it set to Repair Infected File with the option to rename the file if it cannot be repaired.

Ok cool, I'll revisit this thread shortly before I get started tonight to make sure I don't forget anything.

UPDATE: I ran SuperAntiSpyware Portable off a USB stick last night and that seems to have cleaned everything up. After I ran it, I restarted the computer, no sign of the virus but it had also left computer unable to recognize EXE files. I went through My Computer into File Types, re-entered EXE, and everything seems to be back to normal now.

I have done 3 different virus sweeps with AVG, Malware-bytes, and Super Anti Spyware and all have come back clean. I now have AVG running, enabled Microsoft Firewall, and got Microsoft Security Essentials as a backup. I'll update here if anything reoccurs.

Thanks again to everyone on here for your help, without this thread I would have wiped my HD and done a full reinstall.

Good news. When you get some time, I would run ESET online scan (www.eset.com/onlinescan). It usually finds remnants of viruses that MBAM, SAS, and AVG might miss. Also, you probably shouldn't be running AVG and Security Essentials at the same time (not sure if that's what you meant). They will slow down the computer and could cause some real conflicts running together.If anything, maybe just update and run the free MBAM or SAS manually once a week or so.

Good news. When you get some time, I would run ESET online scan (www.eset.com/onlinescan). It usually finds remnants of viruses that MBAM, SAS, and AVG might miss. Also, you probably shouldn't be running AVG and Security Essentials at the same time (not sure if that's what you meant). They will slow down the computer and could cause some real conflicts running together.If anything, maybe just update and run the free MBAM or SAS manually once a week or so.

I've got AVG running real-time protection and I got Microsoft Security Essentials just to run scans occasionally and to have on hand if AVG fails me, but I'm not running them concurrently.

Well, I'm going to take this thread in a completely different direction.

quick background:

-I have Windows 7 32 bit Enterprise edition

-I have Intel Core Duo processors

-My laptop is a Dell Latitude D830

Let me get this out of the way really quick to avoid extraneous "solutions:"

-I understand what SVChost is. I understand how it works, its purpose, and so forth.

-I have extensively searched for a solution all over and have found nothing.

My problem:

there are specific instances of SVChost.exe that are hogging my CPU usage. It varies between 15-70 or even 80% usage. The specific instances cover the following services:

-Wudfsvc - Windows Driver Foundation

-TrkWks - Distributed Link Tracking Client

-Sysmain - Superfetch

-Pcasvc - Program Compatibility Assistant Service

-Netman - Network connections

-Hidserv - Human Interface device access

-AudioEndpointBuilder

The other instance takes up less space, but still hogs CPU. It covers Windows Update, so I've disabled it to see what happens.

This problem is always present, but only occasionally acts up, but it has progressively gotten worse and has affected performance more frequently. So my question to you more advanced Windows users is: What exactly is the problem with this instance of SVChost, and more importantly, how do I fix it?

Here is a really quick solution for you guys who are getting spyware, ect. New spyware is not being detected as a threat anymore because the programmers are getting smarter and the antispyware utilities are lagging behind. First off, don't pay for anti virus or anti spyware. Nothing is going to work as well as Microsoft Security Essentials. Second, if you are hit with spyware do this.

1. If you can't run msconfig/select Boot/Safe Boot, reboot the computer and press F8 until you see the advanced options menu to boot into Safe Mode.

2. Once in Safe Mode, right click on Computer/My Computer and select Manage.

3. Go to Local Users And Groups

4. Users

5. Right-Click inside and select New User

6. Enter the information you want and make sure the only check mark is Password Never Expires.

7. Once created, right click on the user and select Properties.

8. Confirm it's a member of the Administrators group.

9. Reboot and login as the new user. You will notice the spyware is gone.

10. Spyware is infected the AppData/ProgramData folders for the specific user in C:\Documents and Settings or C:\Users

11. Make a folder on your desktop and transfer Desktop/MyDocuments/My Pictures/Favorites/Contacts/My Videos or whatever you have files in from your user profile in C:\Users\_____ or C:\Documents And Settings\________ onto your new desktop with your new profile.

12. After this is completed go back into Local Users and Groups like before and delete the old User.

13. Also delete the entire infected profile in C:\Documents And Settings or C:\Users.

14. If it gives you an access denied, boot back into safe mode as this will allow you to completely delete the infected profile folder.

I wrote this really quickly but it will help alot of you out. If anyone has anything else to add or is stuck on a direction please feel free to help.

Alright guys, I've got a new one for you. Last night, I ran AVG, Malwarebytes, and updated my Spybot, all at the same time, as I occasionally do. Turned off the monitor and went to bed. This morning, my computer had rebooted, which is fine. However, there seems to be an odd issue. My monitor is displaying several groups of vertical red lines, four of them total. They don't cover the whole screen, they're in four groups. This doesn't appear to be affecting the functionality of my computer, as I am typing here with no problem, but I'm wondering what the hell is wrong, or if anyone has ever seen this.

Thanks

*Edit, I just tried to fire up a game for testing purposes and it said my video hardware wasn't recognized. Then an error about "Failed to initialize renderer, NiXAdapterdesc...random code.

Is my graphics card on the fritz?

Well, I'm going to take this thread in a completely different direction.

quick background:

-I have Windows 7 32 bit Enterprise edition

-I have Intel Core Duo processors

-My laptop is a Dell Latitude D830

Let me get this out of the way really quick to avoid extraneous "solutions:"

-I understand what SVChost is. I understand how it works, its purpose, and so forth.

-I have extensively searched for a solution all over and have found nothing.

My problem:

there are specific instances of SVChost.exe that are hogging my CPU usage. It varies between 15-70 or even 80% usage. The specific instances cover the following services:

-Wudfsvc - Windows Driver Foundation

-TrkWks - Distributed Link Tracking Client

-Sysmain - Superfetch

-Pcasvc - Program Compatibility Assistant Service

-Netman - Network connections

-Hidserv - Human Interface device access

-AudioEndpointBuilder

The other instance takes up less space, but still hogs CPU. It covers Windows Update, so I've disabled it to see what happens.

This problem is always present, but only occasionally acts up, but it has progressively gotten worse and has affected performance more frequently. So my question to you more advanced Windows users is: What exactly is the problem with this instance of SVChost, and more importantly, how do I fix it?

solved the problem on my own guys, a preemptive thanks though

• 1 month later...

Computer died today. Long story short, need to focus on building a new one. Got some decent parts here, should I just swap out the motherboard / processor / RAM , or build a new computer. I'm obsessed with lowering expenditure and spending so I favor that, but I am also exploring buying a new computer kit which comes with a processor and case and motherboard. Then I can just move all my parts from the old one to the new.

Computer died today. Long story short, need to focus on building a new one. Got some decent parts here, should I just swap out the motherboard / processor / RAM , or build a new computer. I'm obsessed with lowering expenditure and spending so I favor that, but I am also exploring buying a new computer kit which comes with a processor and case and motherboard. Then I can just move all my parts from the old one to the new.

What specs do you currently have?

Swapping out those three things IS basically building a new one. The only things you would be reusing is your power supply (if it works with the new motherboard), the case, and video/sound cards (if not using the built-in ones on the motherboard). If you go the kit route, you may need to buy new RAM and you'll have an extra case laying around.

I think the most economical approach would be to buy a motherboard/cpu combo that is compatible with your current case, power supply and RAM and be done with it.

you will get a lot of different answers on this just FYI, what is your chipset intel or amd?

---------- Post added May-25th-2011 at 09:44 AM ----------

Swapping out those three things IS basically building a new one. The only things you would be reusing is your power supply (if it works with the new motherboard), the case, and video/sound cards (if not using the built-in ones on the motherboard). If you go the kit route, you may need to buy new RAM and you'll have an extra case laying around.

I think the most economical approach would be to buy a motherboard/cpu combo that is compatible with your current case, power supply and RAM and be done with it.

simplest upgrade approach as well.

*Edit, I just tried to fire up a game for testing purposes and it said my video hardware wasn't recognized. Then an error about "Failed to initialize renderer, NiXAdapterdesc...random code.

Is my graphics card on the fritz?

definitely your graphic card. try updating or reinstalling the drivers and if that doesn't help, then something's physically busted, something's loose, or something's overheating.

---------- Post added May-25th-2011 at 02:03 PM ----------

solved the problem on my own guys, a preemptive thanks though

what was the issue?

My processor was a ****ty AMD single core socket 939 processor. In some ways I'm glad it's gone, but now that it's gone I can't even use my PC, which sucks.

Leaning towards a kit with an intel Core i5 2500 and a compatible MB. The problem is, the case here is stock from Compaq, which means it's ****. So I could use a new case too. Don't know if I want to spend the money on that.

definitely your graphic card. try updating or reinstalling the drivers and if that doesn't help, then something's physically busted, something's loose, or something's overheating.

I wound up buying a new one and installing it. My issue is fixed, I had updated the title for Ix's problem.

My processor was a ****ty AMD single core socket 939 processor. In some ways I'm glad it's gone, but now that it's gone I can't even use my PC, which sucks.

Leaning towards a kit with an intel Core i5 2500 and a compatible MB. The problem is, the case here is stock from Compaq, which means it's ****. So I could use a new case too. Don't know if I want to spend the money on that.

$50+- for an Antec 300, very decent case for the money. It'll be a lot easier to work inside than any propriety crap.

• 1 month later...

Anyone out there familiar with editing a host file? Long story short I want to redirect some websites on a guys computer as a joke. He's a hardcore liberal and I know the top 3 websites he visits at work and want to redirect those to some conservative ones. I thought I had done it right yesterday but it didn't work. Do you have to put in all IP addresses for a host or just the DNS name? Any help would be cool.

Anyone out there familiar with editing a host file? Long story short I want to redirect some websites on a guys computer as a joke. He's a hardcore liberal and I know the top 3 websites he visits at work and want to redirect those to some conservative ones. I thought I had done it right yesterday but it didn't work. Do you have to put in all IP addresses for a host or just the DNS name? Any help would be cool.

After the local host entry, add in entries in this form:

[iP for conservative site] [space]

Archived