Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Computer Help Thread - New Question Post 40

Forehead

Just thought of this: I wonder if I need to be logged in as an admin to make the change stick.

That would definitely be the issue. If your a user, you don't have access to anything in the Windows directory except a few folders, and the system32 folder is not one of them.

That would definitely be the issue. If your a user, you don't have access to anything in the Windows directory except a few folders, and the system32 folder is not one of them.

Not where I work, man. It's just my boss and me in the IT dept. and it is totally laid back and he doesn't restrict the users from accessing any system files or folders on their workstations. Frankly, I'm surprised that no one has wiped out a system folder or something like that.

I've been dealing with DNS issues on a SBS domain all week and this thread got me curious. Did you tried to flush the DNS cache after editing the hosts file? I don't mess around with hosts files too much, but would like to know what you figure out. I found this webpage with some possible causes.

http://superuser.com/questions/47554/problem-with-the-hosts-file-under-windows-7

what was the issue?

The thumbdrive I was using as a dedicated readyboost device was ancient and the disk inside got damaged. Windows was having problems negotiating the drive, obviously, and long story short my "extra" memory was actually so cumbersome from the endless loops it was creating that it was using pretty much all of both my processor cores. Got a new thumbdrive, problem solved. Simple, yet very hard to catch given that the problem was behaving almost exactly like certain spyware activity.

I've been dealing with DNS issues on a SBS domain all week and this thread got me curious. Did you tried to flush the DNS cache after editing the hosts file? I don't mess around with hosts files too much, but would like to know what you figure out. I found this webpage with some possible causes.

http://superuser.com/questions/47554/problem-with-the-hosts-file-under-windows-7

I didn't do that. Wonder if that would fix it all. I'll have to try that tomorrow, thanks. I'll let you know what happens with that.

It can't be, cause if it was the case then it wouldn't allow him to even edit the file. Which he said he was able to do.

I forgot about the DNS cache, that should fix the issue.

I messed around with the hosts file on my Windows 7 domain PC today and got this to work. They key for me was to flush the dns cache, wait about 10 minutes, and also restart IE. Don't know how good of a sense of humor this guy has, but maybe installing the NRA toolbar would be a nice touch also. I installed it to see what it looked like. You immediately get 6 messages, including a special video greeting from Chuck Norris. :ols:

http://www.nraila.org/toolbar/

Archived