Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Computer Help Thread - New Question Post 40

Forehead

It occurs to me that we get a lot of these types of threads, and I'm going to do my best to consolidate them here so that the techs among us don't get annoyed answering the same questions over and over from people like myself. What I'll do is try to keep this thread continuously updated with problems and solutions; the problems described in less technical terms for those who aren't computer people. I'll try to go back at some point and read other threads where help was asked for, and link it to the main page.

Anyway, to get it started, I picked up one of those viruses tonight that isn't really a virus, it just tries to tell me I have one and trick me into downloading their "solution." I've gotten this before and already had the RKill file on my computer to clear it out, but in using Rkill, I somehow knocked out my Internet Explorer (I'm using Firefox right now)

If someone would be gracious enough to tell me how to restore my proxy settings, I would appreciate it; that's the error I'm being given.

I currently have "Automatically detect" checked off, "Use a proxy server" checked off, and "bypass for local connections" checked off. In the advanced tab, there is an address in the HTTP field; everything else is blank.

Thanks

Click Tools -> Options. Go to the rightmost tab "Advanced". Click Reset. Restart IE.

I typically also check "Delete personal settings", which will also reset your home page, however, try it on the second time if the first time doesn't work.

This worked, without having to delete personal settings. Like I said, will start consolidating this over time.

Alright, new question, this one is for work, and it's in Microsoft Access, a program I personally do not like. I'm in the main view of Microsoft Access and am looking at hundreds of tables which I need to convert into a few large PDF files. I am unable to figure out how to select multiple documents for PDF conversion as I want to combine them. This is not to difficult in other programs but seems to be eluding me in Access. Anyone who knows how to select, combine, and PDF multiple Access tables at once, give me your wisdom. I really don't want to have to do each of the hundreds of them separately.

Alright, new question, this one is for work, and it's in Microsoft Access, a program I personally do not like. I'm in the main view of Microsoft Access and am looking at hundreds of tables which I need to convert into a few large PDF files. I am unable to figure out how to select multiple documents for PDF conversion as I want to combine them. This is not to difficult in other programs but seems to be eluding me in Access. Anyone who knows how to select, combine, and PDF multiple Access tables at once, give me your wisdom. I really don't want to have to do each of the hundreds of them separately.

Combine all the tables and do a report outputting the data your interested in in pdf. To get any more specific I'd have to know what the tables are and what your hoping to get out of them. How big is the entire database?

• 1 month later...

Ok, I need the IT guys help for this one.....I have a user who uses RDP to do her work on a server running 2003....now, she uses a USB printer attached to her computer. How do I set her up to print from the server? Am I physically going to have to connect her printer to the server or is there a way I can do it remotely from her computer?

I've got one for you tech guys too, kinda long:

About 2 weeks ago the "XP Total Security" virus appeared on my computer. I used Rkill to stop the process and Malware-bytes to remove it (I thought). It appeared again 2 or 3 more times, every time it would appear after a google search (different searches, one was for a bmi calculator) and then clicking on the first link in that google search.

Every time I was able to do Rkill->Malware-bytes->no virus

It showed up again on Monday, I tried to run Malware-bytes, it wouldn't open. I rebooted my machine, blue screen of death reading "Unmountable Boot Volume". I tried booting to Safe Mode, I tried booting from Windows Disk, nothing worked. I called Dell, they recommended a complete OS reinstall. I removed the Hard Drive and took it to my Dad's house and attached it to his machine as an external hard drive, his machine did an automatic repair, we ran a virus scan (3 process removed), and I took it home. I reinstalled my hard drive into my machine and booted it up.

No blue screen! I was back! Buuuut so was the virus. I could now run rKill, but even after that I couldn't open anything other programs, they were automatically killed by the virus. I tried booting to Safe Mode, the virus is there too!

So....at this point - I can get into Windows. I can access My Documents. I can access the internet only by going through Start->Search->msconfig which for some reason opens up Firefox and google searches for msconfig. I cannot open ANY antivirus software, I've tried like 8 different things. I've tried to download new software but I can't install it. My only option at this point seems to be to back up my data and do a full OS reinstall.

Anyone have any suggestions to the contrary?

Ok, I need the IT guys help for this one.....I have a user who uses RDP to do her work on a server running 2003....now, she uses a USB printer attached to her computer. How do I set her up to print from the server? Am I physically going to have to connect her printer to the server or is there a way I can do it remotely from her computer?

start menu > programs > accessories > remote desktop connection > options > local resources tab > local devices and resources> check printers

---------- Post added April-7th-2011 at 12:17 PM ----------

I've got one for you tech guys too, kinda long:

About 2 weeks ago the "XP Total Security" virus appeared on my computer. I used Rkill to stop the process and Malware-bytes to remove it (I thought). It appeared again 2 or 3 more times, every time it would appear after a google search (different searches, one was for a bmi calculator) and then clicking on the first link in that google search.

Every time I was able to do Rkill->Malware-bytes->no virus

It showed up again on Monday, I tried to run Malware-bytes, it wouldn't open. I rebooted my machine, blue screen of death reading "Unmountable Boot Volume". I tried booting to Safe Mode, I tried booting from Windows Disk, nothing worked. I called Dell, they recommended a complete OS reinstall. I removed the Hard Drive and took it to my Dad's house and attached it to his machine as an external hard drive, his machine did an automatic repair, we ran a virus scan (3 process removed), and I took it home. I reinstalled my hard drive into my machine and booted it up.

No blue screen! I was back! Buuuut so was the virus. I could now run rKill, but even after that I couldn't open anything other programs, they were automatically killed by the virus. I tried booting to Safe Mode, the virus is there too!

So....at this point - I can get into Windows. I can access My Documents. I can access the internet only by going through Start->Search->msconfig which for some reason opens up Firefox and google searches for msconfig. I cannot open ANY antivirus software, I've tried like 8 different things. I've tried to download new software but I can't install it. My only option at this point seems to be to back up my data and do a full OS reinstall.

Anyone have any suggestions to the contrary?

this happens to a ton of people, a lot of my friends have had it. I have been able to fix it by removing some of the registry keys from this, only problem is they are usually never the same key every time. This is something that we posted fix's for awhile ago in the tailgate, but your best bet time wise would be to back it up and go ahead and reinstall the OS. If we see this issue at work that is exactly what we would do because the time to reimage it would be much faster than trying to pick through hundreds of lines in the registry.

If you go this route you will be much happier as a) the problem won't come back in a week or so, and B) it will be a clean install minus your personal settings, and should perform better.

Just to add, RKill has been incredibly useful, and for some reason, those particular viruses (I've gotten the ones attempting to get me to upgrade my Windows Security) seem unable to block Firefox. I've also kept RKill on my desktop for easy access.

If the virus has somehow gotten to the point where Safe Mode is affected, I think Tweeder is right, you're probably going to need to start over clean.

start menu > programs > accessories > remote desktop connection > options > local resources tab > local devices and resources> check printers

---------- Post added April-7th-2011 at 12:17 PM ----------

this happens to a ton of people, a lot of my friends have had it. I have been able to fix it by removing some of the registry keys from this, only problem is they are usually never the same key every time. This is something that we posted fix's for awhile ago in the tailgate, but your best bet time wise would be to back it up and go ahead and reinstall the OS. If we see this issue at work that is exactly what we would do because the time to reimage it would be much faster than trying to pick through hundreds of lines in the registry.

If you go this route you will be much happier as a) the problem won't come back in a week or so, and B) it will be a clean install minus your personal settings, and should perform better.

Just to add, RKill has been incredibly useful, and for some reason, those particular viruses (I've gotten the ones attempting to get me to upgrade my Windows Security) seem unable to block Firefox. I've also kept RKill on my desktop for easy access.

If the virus has somehow gotten to the point where Safe Mode is affected, I think Tweeder is right, you're probably going to need to start over clean.

Ok so it looks like everyone's on the same page here then, clean install it is! It's about time anyway, I need to clear a ton of old programs and stuff out, so this will just expediate the process.

Also, I'm obviously going to install some decent antivirus software. You guys have recommendations? Is Microsoft Security Essentials robust enough, or should I go with some like AVG or pay for Trendmicro?

The printer box was checked....my user is using a thin client but I don't think that matters....when she uses the ICA connection to the server the printer shows up, but not with the RDP connection.

Also, I'm obviously going to install some decent antivirus software. You guys have recommendations? Is Microsoft Security Essentials robust enough, or should I go with some like AVG or pay for Trendmicro?

I've used AVG and MalWareBytes and haven't had too many issues. My wife has Avast on her laptop because AVG was blocked from installing for some reason. I'm no expert, but they've both worked pretty well considering they're free. I've heard that Microsoft has actually been putting out a pretty solid product though. Either way, there are enough good, free options out there that I wouldn't spend money.

Try installing SuperAntiSpyware on your pc and see if that cleans it off.

I'll give it a shot but like I said I have been so far unable to install or run any antivirus software. I've tried the stuff I have and the stuff I have downloaded new and nothing will run, the virus kills it. If I download something onto a flash drive on a clean computer and try to install it off there, would that have a chance, or does that run through the exact same processes?

I'll give it a shot but like I said I have been so far unable to install or run any antivirus software. I've tried the stuff I have and the stuff I have downloaded new and nothing will run, the virus kills it. If I download something onto a flash drive on a clean computer and try to install it off there, would that have a chance, or does that run through the exact same processes?

If you can get SuperAntiSpyware installed it has an alternative start that virus' can't detect it.

The printer box was checked....my user is using a thin client but I don't think that matters....when she uses the ICA connection to the server the printer shows up, but not with the RDP connection.

yeah it shouldn't matter, are there other users with this same setup at her location? if so, are they experiencing the same problem or she is she the only one with the issue?

for the person asking about antivirus - free version: i like avg, pay version: i like zone alarm...and i have a homerism for symantec, but that's just me :)

EDIT: also just confirming is her printer shared? and are the drivers for the local printer on the server as well?

Lots of useful info in this thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?343641-What-The-****-Google

The part about msconfig opening Firefox is wierd and problematic, since you can't stop stuff from running at startup. Turning off system restore and checking your scheduled tasks are good ideas. I would try SuperAntiSpyware portable (in Safe Mode W/ Networking), like someone else suggested. I'd also try one of the pre-boot scanners. I use Avira and it has helped me out many times when my normal methods wouldn't work. You need to burn the iso to disc and then boot to the disc instead of your OS. Update the definitions manually once you boot to this.

http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-rescue-system

Lots of useful info in this thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?343641-What-The-****-Google

The part about msconfig opening Firefox is wierd and problematic, since you can't stop stuff from running at startup. Turning off system restore and checking your scheduled tasks are good ideas. I would try SuperAntiSpyware portable (in Safe Mode W/ Networking), like someone else suggested. I'd also try one of the pre-boot scanners. I use Avira and it has helped me out many times when my normal methods wouldn't work. You need to burn the iso to disc and then boot to the disc instead of your OS. Update the definitions manually once you boot to this.

http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-rescue-system

I'll try Avira tonight as well. So my itinerary for tonight is to run SuperAntiSpyware Portable in Safe Mode W/ Networking and see what that does. If that doesn't work I'll try SuperAntiSpyware full just in case, but if the first didn't work that won't either I'm sure, after that I'll burn Avira off of my laptop as an iso and try to boot from that. Action-packed evening!

I'll try Avira tonight as well. So my itinerary for tonight is to run SuperAntiSpyware Portable in Safe Mode W/ Networking and see what that does. If that doesn't work I'll try SuperAntiSpyware full just in case, but if the first didn't work that won't either I'm sure, after that I'll burn Avira off of my laptop as an iso and try to boot from that. Action-packed evening!

If it makes you feel any better i'm disassembling my workstation to the MB/processor, installing a new video card, cpu cooler, sound card, speakers, and adjusting my bios to default to surround view for 3 monitors...i'm an excited nerd :geek:

Archived