Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Radiohead's New Album out this Saturday

SuperBash

I think I said they were Coldplay wannabes because I heard someone else say it. Possibly even on here. But I could have that backwards, since you said RH has been around alot longer. But I can't take anyone seriously that thinks they are a better band. Coldplay has won many awards. I remember they won song of year just a few short years ago. They have a ton of good songs. Too many to list, in fact. Their last album, as a whole, wasn't all that good though, imo.

Awards mean nothing. Take a look at the winner list from the Grammys. Most of it's garbage.

Do yourself a favor, pick a Radiohead album, sit down with some headphones and listen to it all the way through. If you still don't like it, that's fine but atleast you will have some reference point. Previewing a few songs doesn't do a band like radiohead (or really any band of any worth) justice.

Radiohead is the sort of dopily dissonant, synth-mashing, warbling, British crap that passes for cutting edge these days. Their Internet fans are legion and their pretentious and egotistically dull albums continue to sell.

Radiohead are the kings of nerdy, boring, tuneless rock music. They’ve proven time and time again that they can piss directly into your open mouths, and you’ll frolic and gargle in the yellow stream like God himself was giving you a nectar-bath. Loathsome pseudo-intellectual college boys used to have ponytails; now they have Radiohead. God help you, you stupid, gullible infants.

The first step toward recovery is to break down the misguided opinions that the music press has formed for you. You can’t be truly free until you can look at Radiohead’s music and say “everything they’ve ever done has been utter ****.”

I think Mickalino's thread applies here. You don't like them? That's fine, but to declare your opinion as fact is idiotic and makes you look bad. I have nothing against Coldplay, but there's no argument that Martin's singing isn't heavily influenced by Yorke (I think he's even said so himself). There's nothing wrong with that, because they have their own unique style. I only mention it because of the absurdity to suggest that RH copies CP in any way.

It's all preference dumdums.

Radiohead is the sort of dopily dissonant, synth-mashing, warbling, British crap that passes for cutting edge these days. Their Internet fans are legion and their pretentious and egotistically dull albums continue to sell.

Radiohead are the kings of nerdy, boring, tuneless rock music. They’ve proven time and time again that they can piss directly into your open mouths, and you’ll frolic and gargle in the yellow stream like God himself was giving you a nectar-bath. Loathsome pseudo-intellectual college boys used to have ponytails; now they have Radiohead. God help you, you stupid, gullible infants.

The first step toward recovery is to break down the misguided opinions that the music press has formed for you. You can’t be truly free until you can look at Radiohead’s music and say “everything they’ve ever done has been utter ****.”

Wow.....this is an impressive little rant.

At the same time, its about the douchiest thing I've seen written on ES in quite a while. Congrats.

Edit: Oh, and plagiarized. Nice.

Radiohead is...

Thanks, I've read that article, too. (here's the link http://www.somethingawful.com/d/your-band-sucks/radiohead-sucks.php)

I'm so 2011... you're so 2000 and late.

If listening to Radiohead actually pisses that guy off so much, so be it... although methinks it was written mostly because it was kinda funny.

Every band has pseudo-intellectuals that listen to their music, except maybe Creed or Nickelback. I haven't loved every single Radiohead album or song... but I absolutely love the albums "The Bends," "Ok Computer," and "In Rainbows." If you've only heard a little bit of Radiohead, pick those up or borrow from a friend and actually sit down and listen a couple times through. If you're still not a fan after that then at least we can shake hands and agree to disagree.

He's no doctor. He just plays one on the internet.

It seems like his whole shtick is to not get caught complimenting a band unless he compares them to another band he thinks is truly awful. It's ironic that he's just as repetitive as any band he criticizes for being repetitive. I guess it's supposed to be funny though.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of "Karma Police". Great song.

Where do you think I got my username from? ;)

Radiohead is my favorite band, without a doubt. It's actually a litmus test of mine -- I'm not sure if I can trust your taste in music if you don't recognize how awesome most of their songs and records are. My opinion is that In Rainbows was their best album yet (although OK Computer might be tied with it). So I'm looking forward to this new album to see if they can take it a step further.

I really like Radiohead, but they're a mixed bag for me. What they do that is good is REALLY good. But when they make a song that isn't good,, my god, it's the pits.

I really like everything all the way up to Kid, but after that it gets spotty. each album has had it's moments of sheer brilliance, but sometimes they can go a tad off the deep end.

I think overall Pablo Honey is still my favorite, and OK Computer is hot on it's heels.

I think my favorite songs of theirs would be "Anyone Can Play Guitar", "Subterannean Homesick Alien", "The National Anthem", "There There", House of Cards, The Trickster"... hell I like a lot of them actually.

And Bubbles,, stick to your Journey. It'll never let you down.

~Bang

Jigsaw Falling Into Place is one of my faves. I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet. Some people dismiss them as noise or are turned off by lyrics. They are very talented - they just have a different slant on rock/popular music. I'm a musician, don't mean to sound like I have better taste than anyone else - I certainly don't. But for those who play instruments or have ever tried to write you'll know they are top of the heap in creativity or musicianship. If you don't like ebows, syths, effects and electronic music I can understand you don't like them. But I used to be a purist too and they totally changed my mind from thinking only guitars, horns, and piano are tolerable. Can't wait till Saturday to have my mouth urinated in again :)

GoLJJRIWCLU

I like Coldplay, and i like Radiohead.

And I don't think they are similar. Coldplay has a much more mellow sound to them,, a much more relaxed and fluid groove, almost a latent hippy sound.

Radiohead certainly does not. Radiohead is more what I'd consider avant-garde, forging new ground. They dance on the wires.

Sometimes it's messy , other times it's absolutely brilliant.

Coldplay's songs just sort of float along, they're pretty and haunting and safe.. Radiohead always feels as if they're on the absolute edge of control...

Good call Bliz, "Jigsaw.." is a great song, and a good example of what I mean. That song maintains a quiet softness throughout, but no doubt jams HARD, and feels as if at any second it could explode.. but they keep that energy on a tight line.

I'd never seen that video before, very cool.

~Bang

Radiohead is one of those bands (like A Tribe Called Quest, Phish or Arcade Fire, for example) that, I totally get it if people aren't into it, but if you can't recognize the quality as musicians and have respect for what they're doing, you're just not listening with an open mind.

I have really listened to only 3 of their albums, but I really like the ones I have listened to, particularly In Rainbows. No real reason I haven't listened to the others.

Favorite song not mentioned yet is probably How to Disappear Completely. What a hauntingly beautiful song. Love the way his voice merges into the strings toward the end

lAF8D0ugyVk

I was just ****ing with you guys. Music like all art forms is completely subective.

I remember well the 311 is better than DMB, Dave Grohl is more talented than Kurt Cobain and (my personal favorite) John Mayer is a great guitarist threads where my opinon seemed to be the opposite of the majority of posters in those threads.

Listening to the album now. So far I like it.

But.. Radiohead never disappoints me.

Good to hear. I wasn't much of a fan of the last album but I have yet to listen to the entire album.

"Like Spinning Plates" is still one of my fave Radiohead tracks.

Saw them in 2002 and it's still one of the most expensive tickets I ever bought....and the best show I've still ever seen. Some bands I get all their music and this is one of them. (with that said I still get why some people don't like them at all)

well, count me jealous. I've never seen them.. I was GOING to see them about 12 years ago in RFK when they had the Concert for Tibet here.

But halfway thru the day some girl got struck by lightning, and they cancelled the rest of the show.

Seeing her get hit was one of the stranger thing I have ever seen in my life, I must say. Herbie Han**** was on stage, and the sky was overcast, but not stormy,, and all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I saw a flash and hear the BOOM!.. spun my head that way and saw her flipping head over heels thru the air... literally upside down. People were all scrambling away and there was smoke, and I honestly thought a bomb had gone off. (It was a political concert, after all.)

Anyway, they cancelled the rest of the day's performers, and the sun came out. (They said on the news later that the storm was about ten miles away .. and the lightning was attracted by her cel phone.)

Later I found out that very quietly Radiohead and a couple other bands played the 930 club that night and anyone with a ticket stub was allowed in free. Missed that.

So a pretty crappy day all around.

~Bang

Archived