Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The answer's not at wide receiver

Burgold

I'm still seeing threads about Vincent Jackson or trading up for Green and talk about getting this receiver or that receiver. The answer is not about wide receiver. Reciever is the position most addressed by the Redskins. Michael Westbrook, Rod Gardner, Lavernius Coles, Brandon Lloyd, Randle El, Santana Moss, Joey Galloway, Devon Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, etc. How many big name receivers or high draft picks do we have to spend before we think the answer is there?

It's true we could use another receiver, but what we really need is the blue colar, tough-nosed, short yardage, down the middle guy. We actually have pretty good playmakers. Armstrong made plays consistantly. Moss might be able to make plays. Even Austin has speed. Could Kelly become a guy? But we ought to stop obsessing over receivers.

This team needs to address the basics first. Do we have a qb? An offensive line? A defensive line? Do we even have a running back that we think can carry us for 16 games. Torrain showed a lot, but when he was out neither Keiland or Portis could do much of anything. We don't have a single natural outside linebacker. This team needs to get tougher.

So, no let's not trade for Vincent Jackson or draft a wide receiver at No. 10 or worse yet trade up for one. Let's build a team and stop shopping for highlights. If there's one position the Redskins have not neglected it's WR. The fact that our WRs haven't risen may and almost must be due to something else. Better Qbing, better line play, heck even more three and outs will make our receivers better.

To me the WR is one position that you can always fall back on with Free Agency if need be. It seems like around the league you can install a WR into just about any offense, and they can instantly produce. I am not opposed necessarily to drafting a WR, but I don't think it should be a top draft priority unless an out of this world prototype falls into our lap.

I'm still seeing threads about Vincent Jackson or trading up for Green and talk about getting this receiver or that receiver. The answer is not about wide receiver. Reciever is the position most addressed by the Redskins. Michael Westbrook, Rod Gardner, Lavernius Coles, Brandon Lloyd, Randle El, Santana Moss, Joey Galloway, Devon Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, etc. How many big name receivers or high draft picks do we have to spend before we think the answer is there?

It's true we could use another receiver, but what we really need is the blue colar, tough-nosed, short yardage, down the middle guy. We actually have pretty good playmakers. Armstrong made plays consistantly. Moss might be able to make plays. Even Austin has speed. Could Kelly become a guy? But we ought to stop obsessing over receivers.

This team needs to address the basics first. Do we have a qb? An offensive line? A defensive line? Do we even have a running back that we think can carry us for 16 games. Torrain showed a lot, but when he was out neither Keiland or Portis could do much of anything. We don't have a single natural outside linebacker. This team needs to get tougher.

So, no let's not trade for Vincent Jackson or draft a wide receiver at No. 10 or worse yet trade up for one. Let's build a team and stop shopping for highlights. If there's one position the Redskins have not neglected it's WR. The fact that our WRs haven't risen may and almost must be due to something else. Better Qbing, better line play, heck even more three and outs will make our receivers better.

IMO, we do need a WR but it's not the most pressing need at this point. First order of business should be to re-sign Santana Moss. Then make a move for a WR in free agency, and not a drama queen like Vincent Jackson. Let's take a look at James Jones or Sydney Rice. Either of which would make a good compliment to Moss/Armstrong. Or even Leonard Hankerson if he's there at a good spot in the draft (who knows if we'll trade down or trade players for more picks).

Positions that are more important IMO, would be NT, DE, OLB and a couple of interior linemen. QB is probably our most pressing need but I'm starting to think that we'll wait until 2012 to draft a QB, when the crop should be much better.

I do not want to see us trade up for AJ Green, nor do I want us to make a move for Jackson. I think there are better options for us in FA and the draft without trading up.

I think this is a good draft to help improve our defense, assuming we're waiting on QB until 2012, which seems like our best option at this point.

I agree we need to build the lines and what not. But we have 0 playmakers. Sorry we have 1 and he's 130#. We need a dynamic RB or WR until then idc who we have we will not win. Im not saying we need to trade up or trade for VJ im just saying we need someone that makes a D worry. And right now we dont have that.

I think we have two. Banks and Armstrong. Armstrong actually made a lot of big plays. Had the throws been slightly better he'd have had 15 touchdowns at least. The guy has a knack for getting open when needed and getting open deep.

Sorry, but I simply disagree with the notion that WR is not one of our most pressing needs. Next to QB and Defense, I would argue that it is the most important position that we need. We have okay options at WR, not elite or even very good. If you look around the NFC East Division, and even the NFL in general. you'll see that all the very good to elite teams in the league have threats or home run hitters at WR. Green Bay, Philly, NYG, Indy, and even Baltimore and Pittsburgh all have good to elite WR options. I would argue that we are probably at the bottom of the league when it comes to WR talent. I know that we had guys like Santana and AA that performed admirably this season, but to tell you the truth, there is no way that we stack up with good to elite teams when it comes to our options.

We have needed a WR for the longest time to compliment Moss, and I feel like we've wasted his years here in DC with mediocre to even abysmal WR talent around him. If the Redskins draft a QB in the 1st round this year, they HAVE to either draft a WR that will take the reigns as a #1, or look to free agency to get that #1 receiver. This is why we never score above 20 points regularly, or do even well in the redzone. We have made QB's look real bad with the WR options that we trot out year after year, and it shouldn't be that way. We had Joey freaking Galloway starting as a #2 option at the start of the season. We also trotted out Roydell Williams as a third WR option. That's almost laughable, if not sad.

A WR would be nice, but getting one this year whether it be in FA or the draft, will not put us over the top. I wouldn't be angry if we signed Jackson or drafted Greene/Jones, but we need a QB, OL, DL, LB, DB, more than a WR right now.

Look at the Lions, yes Calvin Johnson is a stud WR, but the team hasn't improved because of him. They really started improving after getting a better QB and addressing the OL and DL.

Detroit and the Redskins are both great examples, MattFancy. How many number 1 picks did Detroit spend year after year on receiver? Where has that gotten them? Look at the Redskins and how many high draft picks and even more how many trades and free agent picks ups have been in that one area. It's a strategy that has failed to put either team into the winners collumn.

That's says it all. Skill position players mean nothing without a solid foundation.

A solid foundation keeps you in games, but skill position players win you games. Think I'm blowing smoke?...look at Philthy.

1) Top 10 defense almost every year the past decade.

2) Consistently good play from both Lines...injuries never help anybody but both play well when healthy

3) Sound philosophy...they understand who they are on both O and D...you don't see them completely change their team format

Now that's just 3 reasons the Iggles have performed well over the past decade (let it be known I hate the Iggles so I'm in no way trying to talk them up on here). All that being said, does anybody think that Philthy would have done anything this year or any recent year even with Vick's ridiculous comeback had it not been for...

1) Desean Jackson

2) LeSean "Shady" McCoy

3) Jeremy Maclin

The answer is hell no!!! Without those 3 guys, the Iggles would suck...they would be extremely 1 dimensional with Vick and some average skill position players lining up beside him.

Whether you go solid foundation first or skill position players and fill in the foundation as you go...a solid foundation will only get you so far. If you don't have game changers and gamebreakers...your solid foundation will go all for not. Seeing as how right now the Skins honestly have neither...I say you get what you can when you can. If it's one over the other, whichever is better in the long run you take now and fix the other however else you can.

If you don't have a solid foundation and game changing skill position players, you're not going anywhere but to the bottom of the standings.

To wrap up what I said in the previous post, I realize that we never had a decent O-line, or a great QB either which also hurt our offensive for many years, but you've got to understand that it's a passing league now. What we have at WR simply will not get the job done if we want to be an upper echelon team in the coming years. There is no reason that Roydell Williams, and Joey Galloway should have seen any playing time on an NFL roster. That was really embarrassing, and hopefully Shanny saw that too.

Detroit and the Redskins are both great examples, MattFancy. How many number 1 picks did Detroit spend year after year on receiver? Where has that gotten them? Look at the Redskins and how many high draft picks and even more how many trades and free agent picks ups have been in that one area. It's a strategy that has failed to put either team into the winners collumn.

I feel like WR is a position you address after all the other pieces are in place. You can have the best WR in the world, but if you don't have a QB that can get him the ball or a line that can block for the QB, what good is it to have a great WR?

Now if we go into the draft with some of our other needs being filled, then I wouldn't mind spending a high pick on a WR. But let's address QB and OL first.

I think we have two. Banks and Armstrong. Armstrong actually made a lot of big plays. Had the throws been slightly better he'd have had 15 touchdowns at least. The guy has a knack for getting open when needed and getting open deep.

I do think Armstrong had a good year and he was def missed a lot which could have been more TD's for him. However is we lose Moss this year which may happen i do not want Armstrong to be our main guy.

I do think Armstrong had a good year and he was def missed a lot which could have been more TD's for him. However is we lose Moss this year which may happen i do not want Armstrong to be our main guy.

This is true and Moss seems to be becoming a possession, move the chains receiver. He doesn't seem to make many miss anymore or get big gainers. Still, I would rather fix guard and center first and rely on Armstrong, Austin, and Kelly (blech) plus a blue colar receiver... then go another year without any blocking in the middle of the line.

I'm not saying that wide receiver isn't part of the puzzle. All pieces are important, but I just don't think it is the answer and the Redskins' recent history (as well as Detroit's) bares that out.

With the number of holes the Redskins have, BPA is the only sound strategy in the draft. At 10, WR could very well be the best player available.

However, signing a big money FA wide WR or trading up for one is a horrible idea.

I sort of agree here. I mean if we're picking at #10 and Greene is there, I wouldn't be pissed if we took him. He wouldn't instantly make us better, if he's the BPA, then it certainly wouldn't be a bad pick.

You can't conclude that we should pass on an opportunity to add a high-grade receiver because we have misspent assets on WRs in the past. That doesn't make sense.

When he was able to draw double-teams, Santana Moss was our most valuable offensive weapon whether he was catching passes or not. In 2005, Gibbs rode Portis to the playoffs because opponents couldn't stack eight in the box and double Santana at the same time.

Santana 's time is over. If we can add a young WR as good as or better than he was at a reasonable price, we should do it.

Look at the WRs on Dallass, Philly and the Giants. We cannot compete. Like another poster said, it makes us VERY one dimensional. If the BPA at 10 is Green or Jones, you have to take him. We can't reach for another position. We need to get through the combine and free agency first. That will go a long way in determining our needs at draft time and what players will be picked where after the free agent smoke clears. But teams stack the line on us. Even though we pass for alot of yards, teams play us like "bend, but don't break." We don't have one WR that scares anybody.

I have a feeling we'll look at WRs and OL in free agency. And I don't want James Jones from GB. Dude drops too many balls. He's a drop machine. I'd rather look at Jacoby Jones.

You can't conclude that we should pass on an opportunity to add a high-grade receiver because we have misspent assets on WRs in the past. That doesn't make sense.

When he was able to draw double-teams, Santana Moss was our most valuable offensive weapon whether he was catching passes or not. In 2005, Gibbs rode Portis to the playoffs because opponents couldn't stack eight in the box and double Santana at the same time.

Santana 's time is over. If we can add a young WR as good as or better than he was at a reasonable price, we should do it.

Sure, I can. It's like packing for a long trip in the desert. The first thing you bring is water. The next is food or headware or maybe a camel and tents for shade. Wide receivers are the belly dancing girls. Safety is still pastry (still one of my favorite threads)

I agree with Oldfan (wow). You can't stop trying. Using Detroit as an example, they kept trying until they hit on Megatron.

Sure, I can. It's like packing for a long trip in the desert. The first thing you bring is water. The next is food or headware or maybe a camel and tents for shade. Wide receivers are the belly dancing girls. Safety is still pastry (still one of my favorite threads)
Imagine yourself as a defensive coordinator. How much sleep do you lose game planning for the other team's outstanding guard or center? It's their playmakers who could cost you your job. You'd be better off waiting until retirement to plan your desert trip.

Archived