Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Shaun Rogers may visit Redskins

Sanders 83

I posted this in the other Rogers thread, figure it belongs in here as well:

Here is a longshot thought:

Sign Shaun Rogers now. Sign Paul Soliai in FA (BLC endorses this move). Now, think about this starting Dline:

RDE-Albert Haynesworth NT-Paul Soliai LDE-Shaun Rogers

WOW, that is a whole lotta beef up front! With Carricker, Jarmon, Bryant, Gholston as depth! Sign Woodley as OLB FA, have Orakpo and Woodley on the outside!

I know it is VERY unlikely, but one can dream!

If we haD them our 3-4 would be nasty. Woodley is honestly the missing piece. He's the rush LBer who can actually cover and such, and those guys up front would be nasty. I'd still drop haynesworth though. No turds allowed

Can we stop raiding other teams dumpsters PLEASE!!! The guy did absolutely nothing last year (so what if he was at end). He could not help the freaking Browns!!! So sick of this crap.....Same ole' Skins AGAIN. I hate this team, I really do.

Dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out guy! Cowboys can always use some more bandwagon fans

People really need to calm the **** down. Its February. There isn't supposed to be anything stressful about February for NFL fans.

(Except the CBA, now)

Didn't we get quite a few players out of "other team's dumpsters" last season that performed pretty well?

Anthony Armstrong, had been cut by Miami's practice squad (which sounds awful)

Jamal Brown was no longer wanted/needed in New Orleans

Ryan Torain had been cut by the Broncos

Anthony Bryant was allowed to leave Tampa Bay

Adam Carriker was kicked out of St Louis for about 20 spots in the 5th round

Point is, these things CAN actually work out, so I'm not sure what people are freaking out for. #1 the guy came for a VISIT, not to sign a contract. It could be that the coaches just want to see if he has any passion for football left.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Shaun Rogers on our team. I've disliked the guy for years because I think he's the picture perfect lazy DL, then AH took that spot since Roger has never actually ****ed about playing a position or a defensive scheme. I would hate for him to be on this team and I'm pretty confident in saying it would be a total disaster, but I hated Carriker too.

Even with my confidence, there's always a possibility, and I'm not the GM or HC, so I'm sure they're going to do their best. If this is what they believe is best for the team, then so be it. After all, we won two more games this season than last, and until they have a season that's worse than the previous one, I'm not willing to give up on them.

Dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out guy! Cowboys can always use some more bandwagon fans

Listen, you were probably the same guy who was cheering the Vonnie Holiday, Kemoeatu, Parker signings. At what point is enough, enough?? Really?? I would never be a Cowboy fan ever! It is obvious though that 10 years of re-treads has gotten us nowhere I would rather fail with young talent at this point. Aren't you sick of purchasing guys with just a name?? I know I am...

It is obvious though that 10 years of re-treads has gotten us nowhere I would rather fail with young talent at this point. Aren't you sick of purchasing guys with just a name?? I know I am...

Philip Buchanon was a dumpster-pile retread who provided very good ROI based on his contract.

Didn't we get quite a few players out of "other team's dumpsters" last season that performed pretty well?

Anthony Armstrong, had been cut by Miami's practice squad (which sounds awful)

Jamal Brown was no longer wanted/needed in New Orleans

Ryan Torain had been cut by the Broncos

Anthony Bryant was allowed to leave Tampa Bay

Adam Carriker was kicked out of St Louis for about 20 spots in the 5th round

Point is, these things CAN actually work out, so I'm not sure what people are freaking out for. #1 the guy came for a VISIT, not to sign a contract. It could be that the coaches just want to see if he has any passion for football left.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Shaun Rogers on our team. I've disliked the guy for years because I think he's the picture perfect lazy DL, then AH took that spot since Roger has never actually ****ed about playing a position or a defensive scheme. I would hate for him to be on this team and I'm pretty confident in saying it would be a total disaster, but I hated Carriker too.

Even with my confidence, there's always a possibility, and I'm not the GM or HC, so I'm sure they're going to do their best. If this is what they believe is best for the team, then so be it. After all, we won two more games this season than last, and until they have a season that's worse than the previous one, I'm not willing to give up on them.

+1 Redskins fans tend to be more like Snyder than they would like to admit. We know nothing about building a winning franchise however that doesn't keep us from adding our two cents. We asked that the fire Vinny and Zorn and bring in a real gm and coach. They did just that and yet we second guess everything they do like they have NO clue what they are doing.

Other teams find young players and older vets that can still contribute on their teams. Why can't we? There is no reason not to atleast talk to the guy and see where his head is at and see if he could possibly help us.

Listen, you were probably the same guy who was cheering the Vonnie Holiday, Kemoeatu, Parker signings. At what point is enough, enough?? Really?? I would never be a Cowboy fan ever! It is obvious though that 10 years of re-treads has gotten us nowhere I would rather fail with young talent at this point. Aren't you sick of purchasing guys with just a name?? I know I am...

I cheered those signings because they were for cheap. Those guys can be cut at anytime for whatever young talent that comes along and takes their spot. That's the key difference between now and before. Before we would sign those guys to huge contracts and we were stuck with them.

I cheered those signings because they were for cheap. Those guys can be cut at anytime for whatever young talent that comes along and takes their spot. That's the key difference between now and before. Before we would sign those guys to huge contracts and we were stuck with them.

The problem is, those guys take snaps in practice and games away from youngsters who need them. Vonnie Holiday took a lot of Rob Jackson and others. Kemoeatu took it from Bryant. Parker took it from Torain, Williams, Davis, etc.

Practice snaps are much more important than you realize. This is not Madden where there is no practice and you just simulate to the next week. I want PT for the youngsters. I don't want this fan base to think we can fill holes and make a playoff run next year. What happens is chaos. All in all....these signings just delay youngsters and create chaos.

The problem is, those guys take snaps in practice and games away from youngsters who need them. Vonnie Holiday took a lot of Rob Jackson and others. Kemoeatu took it from Bryant. Parker took it from Torain, Williams, Davis, etc.

Practice snaps are much more important than you realize. This is not Madden where there is no practice and you just simulate to the next week. I want PT for the youngsters. I don't want this fan base to think we can fill holes and make a playoff run next year. What happens is chaos. All in all....these signings just delay youngsters and create chaos.

I can agree with this to an extent. I understand that youngsters need their snaps but I also believe they should earn their way into a spot and not just be given free reign because they are under the age of 26. You need vets to create a balance so that the young guys learn how to earn and keep a roster spot. Rob Jackson, Bryant, Torain and Williams all earned their time and they are better because of it. Not just because of the amount of snaps that took.

Rogers' best position in Cleveland's New England style scheme was at DE because he was a good penetrator. He's not really the natural nose we're looking for unless we decide to run a heavily stunting scheme like Pittsburgh actually does (not what we did last season).

Two years ago Rogers was the best 3-4 defensive lineman in the entire league. I wonder where he's at today? It could be a home run signing or it could quietly amount to nothing. Given how far under the cap we are, the only real downside to the move would be if it kept a deserving young player from finding his way into the rotation. I don't really think that's likely to happen...

One thing's for sure, it's a low risk move that would have an assload more upside than the Kemo/Holliday acquisitions.

he played DE last year in cleveland

This is correct. He's played DE primarily his entire time in Cleveland and usually only slides in to NT in the pressure packages.

In 2008 he was the premier 3-4 defensive lineman as a swingman in Cleveland's front. He had an insane number of tackles (76 I believe) and was dominant all around.

Holliday played pretty well. We all kind of knew Parker would be cut. LJ was eventually cut for younger RBs. Makke was coming off an achilles injury which is bad for a big man. Galloway bridged the gap until Autsin/Banks were ready. None of these guys hurt our cap. Now, I know what you will say next. They took plays away from younger players. True. But we had 6 picks last year and free agency was VERY limited because of the CBA. We had to have players. Please provide us a list of players that you would have signed in place of the one's I listed. There is only so much you can do in one year.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of the impatience of our fans when it comes to Shanahan/Allen. We're not even 1 week removed from the SB and people are pissing and moaning already. Signing a 31 year old to a 1 or 2 year deal is not the end of the world. We can still draft a NT and I imagine that if he is signed, we won't be on the hook for alot of money. Pay attention to what Shanahan and Allen did last year and not the 10 years of Vinn-eptitude before them.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 03:32 PM ----------

Maybe Shanahan felt they were'nt ready? Ever think of that? And they were still practicing even when they were a backup or on the practice squad.

I dunno, I think it would be a decent signing. It amazes me that people get upset about every little signing when we dont sign the best player at their position. All the time, and its not even for break the bank contracts. People were pissed last year when we brought in Carriker bc we didnt draft his position and because he underperformed in another setting. Well, he did pretty well for us last season and it was a good season for him to build on, with a quality NT starting next to him. Now Rogers. He may not be the best at his position, but he is above average and leaps and bound better then anything we currently have. This also gives Anthony Bryant a mentor, and those two will serve as a good rotation at NT. This wouldnt be a break the bank move either. Who knows, maybe having Rogers on the team comforts Haynesworth into falling in line, knowing he wont be depended on at NT. Its a longshot, but its a possability. This move also buys us time to draft our next NT or for Anthony Bryant to get better and challenge Rogers for the starting spot. It also frees up a draft selection in April coming up.

The way I see it, there are far more benefits to making this move, then negatives.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 03:53 PM ----------

Holliday played pretty well. We all kind of knew Parker would be cut. LJ was eventually cut for younger RBs. Makke was coming off an achilles injury which is bad for a big man. Galloway bridged the gap until Autsin/Banks were ready. None of these guys hurt our cap. Now, I know what you will say next. They took plays away from younger players. True. But we had 6 picks last year and free agency was VERY limited because of the CBA. We had to have players. Please provide us a list of players that you would have signed in place of the one's I listed. There is only so much you can do in one year.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of the impatience of our fans when it comes to Shanahan/Allen. We're not even 1 week removed from the SB and people are pissing and moaning already. Signing a 31 year old to a 1 or 2 year deal is not the end of the world. We can still draft a NT and I imagine that if he is signed, we won't be on the hook for alot of money. Pay attention to what Shanahan and Allen did last year and not the 10 years of Vinn-eptitude before them.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 03:32 PM ----------

Maybe Shanahan felt they were'nt ready? Ever think of that? And they were still practicing even when they were a backup or on the practice squad.

Great post!

Two years ago Rogers was the best 3-4 defensive lineman in the entire league. I wonder where he's at today? It could be a home run signing or it could quietly amount to nothing. Given how far under the cap we are, the only real downside to the move would be if it kept a deserving young player from finding his way into the rotation. I don't really think that's likely to happen...

One thing's for sure, it's a low risk move that would have an assload more upside than the Kemo/Holliday acquisitions.

Totally agree and not sure why people are so upset about it. I'd rather have Soliai, but this move for Rogers is nothing to go bat**** about IMO.

Archived