Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Shaun Rogers may visit Redskins

Sanders 83

I want to know why he played so little last season. Maybe his body is breaking down?

Because the Browns defensive staff felt he was 'better suited' to be a 3-4 DE. I hope that this exploratory meeting includes the phrase NT...over and over and over, so Rogers understands what we need him to do.

Personally, I don't like this. We really need to think LONG term. Players that can play for us 5 plus years, at a minimum, down the road. If not, we keep getting ourselves into the same dumb rut!

Time to draft young talent. And, get rid of the dead wood.

1 mill base salary.. incentives on weight...snaps...things like that.

I would say tackles/sacks as opposed to snaps. Because "snaps" he can take off...tackles and sacks requires he actually perform.

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 07:35 PM ----------

Personally, I don't like this. We really need to think LONG term. Players that can play for us 5 plus years, at a minimum, down the road. If not, we keep getting ourselves into the same dumb rut!

We improve the position for at least one year, and take away one draft need, so we can focus on NT next year. If he ends up being a solid player again, with Bryant, we could have the next two or three years covered.

This would be a great point if we were offering him a long-term deal for a good chunk of change. We won't do that under this regime, though, so it's a completely moot point. Nothing wrong with signing an older guy to a manageable deal that is three years tops.

Paul Soliai

Pipe dream. No chance we get that guy imo. He'll end up a Jet.

Plus, this is what I read about him earlier....

The DT franchise tag is $12.3-$12.5 million, and the transition tag is $9.4-$9.5 million. The Fins will miss Soliai if he walks, but they'd also seen him for three years as an underachiever before last season's contract-year breakout. Just turned 27, Soliai will attract mega-interest on the open market.

Sound like anyone?

This would be a great point if we were offering him a long-term deal for a good chunk of change. We won't do that under this regime, though, so it's a completely moot point. Nothing wrong with signing an older guy to a manageable deal that is three years tops.

Something kinda like Philip Buchanon's deal last year makes a lot of sense (1 year, 1.5 MM, 750K incentives). I feel like he will be looking for more though.

You mean the same team who's got like 7 free agents to worry about? Yeah don't see him going there

Don't really see what that has to do with anything. Teams have their own free agents every year and still sign other free agents. There is no guarantee they even want to bring back Shaun Ellis (33 years old) or Cromartie. Tony Richardson is 38 and will be 39 before the season. I think they will choose between Holmes and Edwards, I don't think they want both back, so they can get Brad Smith on the field more. Harris is their only real priority IMO. I'm just saying, I do not think he will end up here. Makes too much sense. Rogers is more of the type of player we'll go after.

Young players that fit that mold 98% of the time command a big chunk of change. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with signing a guy that can:

A. Be an upgrade to a position we were downright TERRIBLE at at times last year

B. Help us further develop Anthony Bryant

C. Allows us to add a young rookie to another of the many many needs we have.

Just because you cant address a need with a rookie or a young FA that will be here for 5-6 years, doesn't mean you should ignore that position. With the new regime in place, there is no worry about overpaying for players.

Don't really see what that has to do with anything. Teams have their own free agents every year and still sign other free agents. There is no guarantee they even want to bring back Shaun Ellis (33 years old) or Cromartie. Tony Richardson is 38 and will be 39 before the season. I think they will choose between Holmes and Edwards, I don't think they want both back, so they can get Brad Smith on the field more. Harris is their only real priority IMO. I'm just saying, I do not think he will end up here. Makes too much sense. Rogers is more of the type of player we'll go after.

They don't have a lot of money to spend IIRC so even with those guys. I don't see how Soliai makes sense when they have Kris Jenkins when healthy and Pouha who is a starter for them. Not saying it won't happen just see it as unlikely

They don't have a lot of money to spend IIRC so even with those guys. I don't see how Soliai makes sense when they have Kris Jenkins when healthy and Pouha who is a starter for them. Not saying it won't happen just see it as unlikely

In bold is the key. When is he going to be healthy again? He hasn't really played in 2 seasons right? Soliai was an underachiever who finally produced in a contract year. Not feeling him. I guess we'll see....maybe....if there is a season.

Regardless of signing Rogers, we should address NT in the draft. The more options the better. If nothing else, Rogers can help push Bryant and make any rookie earn his spot.

I would go after a NT in the draft next year if we get Rogers. See how he performs. If he and Bryant do well, we wouldn't need a NT in the draft for at least another year or two.

Archived