Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cold Weather - Texas Power Outages

Duckus

My office just closed for the day :point2sky

Snow? Nope

Ice? Nope

Its just too cold for Texas. :ols::ols:

Our deregulated power system could not handle the 10-20 degree weather facing most of Texas today. They have started rolling blackouts. My office will have no power for 45 mins every hour. So 15 mins on, 45 mins off. It might not get constant power again until Friday.

:ols:

Meanwhile, I have electricity at home and get to play COD black ops. :point2sky

I wish I could laugh about it. No heat here, furance went bye-bye, and if/when El Paso Electric's rolling blackouts hit us we will not even have space heaters. It is already cold enough that there is ice forming in the bathtub where we have water running to help with the pipes.

Yikes... I had my experience with the 19th Century last week, but at least we had 10 inches of snow and an incompetent utility to blame. You're in one of the energy richest states and you can't handle a little nip in the air? Always knew the Red States were wimps. Illinois laughs at you. Even wimpy Marylanders flex their 98 lb frames in derision. Texas tough guys! Ha!

We had two outages today. The problem was some downed generators reducing load capacity. Seems to have been rectified. No more outages scheduled. My office was closed yesterday and today. No outages there as TXU (elec. co. ) office is just accross the street. :)

:ols:

Good one. Hope y'all stay warm.

I don't know how cold it usually gets in parts of Texas,, cold enough to have a wood stove?

~Bang

Wood stoves are probably illegal due to EPA rule...I got gas(which always works power or no)

22 this morning,and I'm on the gulf, up North it gets a bit nippy

.them taking too many off line for maintenance is gonna get someone hung ;)

i heard there was some power outage in clearlake and league city. so far galveston is good.

its the coldest ive seen it down here though.

Back in the late 80's it got into the teens and stayed there for a week,people here just ain't used to that

Just wait till we get some real ice on the roads...pure insanity ensues

We're getting them here in southern New Mexico, I was out for an hour and a half - started to get cold inside. Effing bull****, it's not that cold and it only snowed 4 or 5 inches. Cold for here but in the grand scheme of things and having two power stations down apparently didn't help matters. El Paso Electric is one of the worst run abuses on local monopoly utilities I've ever seen and I've lived in a few places. Government offices are having to close tomorrow because the electric company asked for the shut-down and we're told to expect half to one hour rolling brownouts throughout the night and tomorrow too and to not do dishes, use your dryer or any other unnecessary uses of power. Some of the highest rates in the country I pay and for this crap.

One of the happiest days of my life (in context) was dropping my Qwest account when I no longer needed a land line. The day is coming for these power companies too, solar systems are getting cheaper and the technology is getting better. When it's finally easy enough to make the switch, that will be another happy day for sure.

They need the old MSF (he worked in an electric utility office if I recall) to come down here and whip their asses into shape.

65 and sunny here. Clear as a bell too. Has been like that for the past ten days. Cali winters are rough, man.

Hey it was 68 and sunny on Sunday here - then this nasty front came in :(

Also, your winters are good in SF but don't your springs actually suck? I have been there a few times in the spring (I think it was the spring) and was shocked at how cold it got, especially at night.

We're getting them here in southern New Mexico, I was out for an hour and a half - started to get cold inside. Effing bull****, it's not that cold and it only snowed 4 or 5 inches. Cold for here but in the grand scheme of things and having two power stations down apparently didn't help matters. El Paso Electric is one of the worst run abuses on local monopoly utilities I've ever seen and I've lived in a few places. Government offices are having to close tomorrow because the electric company asked for the shut-down and we're told to expect half to one hour rolling brownouts throughout the night and tomorrow too and to not do dishes, use your dryer or any other unnecessary uses of power. Some of the highest rates in the country I pay and for this crap.

One of the happiest days of my life (in context) was dropping my Qwest account when I no longer needed a land line. The day is coming for these power companies too, solar systems are getting cheaper and the technology is getting better. When it's finally easy enough to make the switch, that will be another happy day for sure.

They need the old MSF (he worked in an electric utility office if I recall) to come down here and whip their asses into shape.

Up here in Albuquerque we have about 20k people without gas. The town of Bernalillo is totally without natural gas. Man, these temperatures are really brutal.

Up here in Albuquerque we have about 20k people without gas. The town of Bernalillo is totally without natural gas. Man, these temperatures are really brutal.

It's ****ing 5 degrees outside right now. I'm sure it's colder up there (one of the places I used to live - Placitas before it was lawyer central) but for heavens sake man, this is Cruces it's not supposed to be this cold. Crashes all over town, trucks sliding down hills the whole works of an area totally unsuited for cold weather getting some.

Hey it was 68 and sunny on Sunday here - then this nasty front came in :(

Also, your winters are good in SF but don't your springs actually suck? I have been there a few times in the spring (I think it was the spring) and was shocked at how cold it got, especially at night.

It's pretty much highs in the 60s all year round. I think it averages highs of 58 degrees in January and 71 degrees in September. Never gets down below freezing. Still, 56 degrees with the fog rolling in can feel pretty damn cold to a visitor when it's the middle of August and you are used to real summers in your home town.

---------- Post added February-3rd-2011 at 05:04 PM ----------

It's ****ing 5 degrees outside right now. I'm sure it's colder up there (one of the places I used to live - Placitas before it was lawyer central) but for heavens sake man, this is Cruces it's not supposed to be this cold. Crashes all over town, trucks sliding down hills the whole works of an area totally unsuited for cold weather getting some.

Holy smoke - that is freaking cold. Hope you have a fireplace or something.

Archived