Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cold Weather - Texas Power Outages

Duckus

Holy smoke - that is freaking cold. Hope you have a fireplace or something.

Yeah, I'm doing fine my townhouse is insulated well enough though if it were off all night I'd have to light a fire. The power just came on after the 4th brown out today, however. Government offices and schools have to close AGAIN tomorrow (that's three days in a row) because the power company can't supply enough juice - that's the only reason. That's a problem for me on a lot of levels. Our infrastructure is in a really, really bad way. You'd like Placitas! :pfft:

Flying into Dallas tomorrow morning for the Super Bowl. I was assured all problems will be fixed upon my arrival.

By saturday things should be warming up to near normal,friday might still be iffy...but I'm sure they will do their utmost not to inconvenience you:ols:

KAO, coldest I've ever been was camping in NM,we about decided to set the trailer on fire,warm our hands and head home.

KAO, coldest I've ever been was camping in NM,we about decided to set the trailer on fire,warm our hands and head home.

Oh I've froze my butt off on a few hunts over the years. Guess that's why I only go after little birds that live close to me now. And fishing can be done when the weather is nice though I'll still suffer if the bite is on, but they schedule those deer and elk hunts at the worst time to be up at 9,000'. ;)

Freezing rain just started, we might get an inch or two of snow tonight. I had the news on in the background earilier today and I think they said this is the first time in 12 years that Austin has had 48 straight hours of below 32 degree weather. :(

Looking forward to the high of 68 on Sunday :D

By saturday things should be warming up to near normal,friday might still be iffy...but I'm sure they will do their utmost not to inconvenience you:ols:

:ols:

My flight going through Houston was already canceled. Damn you Texans with no salt trucks or plows :ols:

What bullcrap. Tuesday's high for us = -2. Our pipes froze for 3 days, my husband's and my cars both died, and I had to shower at the gym at 4:30am. I'm sick of snow. I'm sick of ice. I hate winter now. I'm as bitter as the temperatures outside. Screw the Rockies, that John Denver really was full of ****.

Just seconding what KAO was saying....really need a smilie here with icicles hanging off of it. My ex and the kids are in Cruces, and their gas went out sometime this morning, so no heat. Ex had to go into work, son went to a friends house, and daughter was bundled up in blankets near a space heater playing with the PS2.

Spent a 2nd day in a row here with no heat and no hot water. We have a gas fireplace, but it does nothing to really warm up the room, so spent most of the day in bed under 6 blankets with a spaceheater running and all three dogs curled up on top of us and that seemed to work fine. On the plus side, I have gotten alot of reading done!

Currently about 12 degrees here now, but the wind has died down which is good. EP Electric was doing their rolling blackouts again today like KAO mentioned, but never had one hit here (San Elizario). EP Electric really loves screwing Cruces tho. KAO talks about how expensive they are while locally I pay like 100.00 a month in the middle of summer with the cooler running and fans.

And no, this area is really not used to this. 25 degrees around here is considered reaally friggin cold, so sub-zero temps and -15 windchills is El Paso's version of Day After Tomorrow. I swear I saw a scientist going door to door looking for his son and his friends earlier. :ols:

Well,, much better this morning here. Still really cold (5), but no wind at all, sun is out, etc. Lots of collapsed ceilings from busted pipes in the city, and some decent size fires from people using candles for light and such.

Only real issue atm is the side panel on our cooler is barely hanging on, so worried about the wind picking up and sending it airborne. I am not a small guy, and do not completely trust our roof under the best of conditions - had a bunch of rotted plywood replaced over the summer + new shingles, but I am not confident that they got all of it. Add in ice, 3 days of cold, etc. not sure how well it will handle my petite self up there lol.

Oh, and to top everything off, my grandfather is in the hospital and not likely to come home, so having to watch the weather for if/when I have to hop on a bus to Arkansas.

[quote name=AdamB;8143629...

Currently about 12 degrees here now' date=' but the wind has died down which is good. EP Electric was doing their rolling blackouts again today like KAO mentioned, but never had one hit here (San Elizario). EP Electric really loves screwing Cruces tho. KAO talks about how expensive they are while locally I pay like 100.00 a month in the middle of summer with the cooler running and fans.

And no, this area is really not used to this. 25 degrees around here is considered reaally friggin cold, so sub-zero temps and -15 windchills is El Paso's version of Day After Tomorrow. I swear I saw a scientist going door to door looking for his son and his friends earlier. :ols:

5.gif

They do treat us like red headed step children, our municipality tried to acquire them (or at least the infrastructure that serves us) a few years back and there's still bad blood there. Who pays for it? There is no justice in the world. Least the world of high finance energy.

After a couple days of it I have to alter my take on the severity of it though, it is something else to be this cold for days on end. Too bad there wasn't a little more moisture out of it, but I expect the mountains got plenty. We never got the wind like you guys Adam, thank God.

What bullcrap. Tuesday's high for us = -2. Our pipes froze for 3 days, my husband's and my cars both died, and I had to shower at the gym at 4:30am. I'm sick of snow. I'm sick of ice. I hate winter now. I'm as bitter as the temperatures outside. Screw the Rockies, that John Denver really was full of ****.

I tried to tell you Katie. I really did.

Come back to NorCal. All is forgiven.

Archived