Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DI: Sr. Bowl Buzz Tuesday (MET)

urblessed00

Mayock was giving Kaepernick some love the other day on NFLN. He did say he faces the same criticisms as Tebow because he is very moble but is a long strider that has a very long delivery but he thinks he has a chance to be a QB at the next level. I'm looking forwarded to watching more of him today during the Sr Bowl practice/drills.

Wouldn't mind seeing us take him, Dalton or McElroy somewhere around the 5th round, even if we do take a QB in the top 10.

I know we have holes, but the fact is we are rebuilding and need to have a long-term plan.

Remember, after we drafted our "franchise" qb Heath Shuler in 93, it was our 7th rounder Gus Frerotte who ended up working out for us and having a nice long career. Not a star but someone you can win with if you build a team around him.

That's accurate.......but, if this had been almost any other team in the league, Frerotte wouldn't have gotten the playing time he did. He was limited. He was a seventh rounder for a reason. Yes, you are drafting at that position for projects. However, he was the benefit of just a terrible pick in the form of Shuler. They are all gambles............but when your drafting in the seventh round, the Gibran Hamdan's under Spurrier (think I misspelled his name) your not expecting massive dividends from those picks. Your not going to the super bowl with a Gus Frerotte pick in 2011. Your just not. And Tom Brady...........is an aberration..not the norm.

That's accurate.......but, if this had been almost any other team in the league, Frerotte wouldn't have gotten the playing time he did. He was limited. He was a seventh rounder for a reason. Yes, you are drafting at that position for projects. However, he was the benefit of just a terrible pick in the form of Shuler. They are all gambles............but when your drafting in the seventh round, the Gibran Hamdan's under Spurrier (think I misspelled his name) your not expecting massive dividends from those picks. Your not going to the super bowl with a Gus Frerotte pick in 2011. Your just not. And Tom Brady...........is an aberration..not the norm.

Those are all fair points, which is why I'm not saying we should draft these guys and plan on them being stars.

I'm saying we may do well to draft one as insurance in case our other qb (whomever that is) doesn't work out, shuler-style.

As you said, most 7th round qb's are in the Gibran Hamdan mold, but I'd say most 5th, 6th and 7th rounders are projected as backups no matter what position they play.

And back up QB is a really important position on your team. More important than some starters, I'd say.

The packers may win the super bowl, but they almost didn't make the playoffs because backup QB Matt Flynn was so awful in a 7-3 loss to the Lions.

The bears were in that game last weekend, but they had to turn to the woeful Todd Collins and then an intern named Caleb Hanie.

The Giants had to rely on Jeff Hostetler to take them all the way through the playoffs and a SB win.

So yeah, frerrote only got a shot because shuler was awful, but the fact is he had like a 17-year career because of what he is: a servicable backup.

Gus helped us win plenty of games as we recovered from the Shuler disaster, before we found trent green and then got Brad Johnson.

I've got the quarterbacks ranked as such, the GF big board.

1. Locker

2. Gabbert

3. Newton

4. Ponder

5. Kaepernick

6. McElroy

7. Dalton

Off my board is Mallet, Devlin, Stanzi

I can't say that I agree with you. My board would look something like this:

1. Gabbert

2. Locker

3. Mallet

4. Ponder

5. McElroy

6. Kaepernick

I wouldn't want the Skins to even look in the direction of another Auburn QB :doh:

I'll play. Mine would be:

1. Gabbert

2. Locker

3. Ponder

4. Dalton

5. Kaepernick

6. McElroy

7. Stanzi

Off my board are Newton, Mallet and Devlin. I think Dalton and Kaepernick as well as McElroy and Stanzi are interchangable. I think Dalton could be ready faster but Kaepernick could be a better player if he is given some time to develop.

I can't say that I agree with you. My board would look something like this:

1. Gabbert

2. Locker

3. Mallet

4. Ponder

5. McElroy

6. Kaepernick

I wouldn't want the Skins to even look in the direction of another Auburn QB :doh:

Mallet is a bust in my eyes. Gabbert goes below Locker due to scheme fit. And what does Campbell have to do with Newton? That's like saying Claussen is the next Montana.

And Tom Brady...........is an aberration..not the norm.

There are always a few gems that sneak past all the draft gurus and fall out of the first few rounds. Rypien was (I think) a 5th or 6th rounder. Marc Bulger-6th, Romo sits to pee, Warner and Warren Moon -undrafted. Matt Cassel - 7th. Garrard was probably the best of his pathetic 02 QB class, and he went in the 3rd. So did Schaub. I'm not suggesting it's commonplace, but it's not really all that unusual. If a 6th rounder QB turns out to be a bust, not much really lost anyways. Few late rounders stick around at any position.

Kiper Q & A from a few minutes ago

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36690/football-guru-mel-kiper

Eric (Truckee, Ca)

do you think Colin Kaepernick is worth a first three round pick?

Mel Kiper

(1:36 PM)

No. I think that's a little early. You're looking at a guy who's a gifted athlete. He's 6-5, 230, 4.5 speed. He's got a good arm, but he needs to tweak his mechanics. Right now, he's a thrower, not a pitcher. He's a developmental, long range prospect as a QB. When you get into the 4-5 round, you start to think about a Kaepernick. You think about some of those QBs that have gone in the 6-7 round, he could even go then.

Archived