Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What would be your Dream (but realistic) offseason moves ?

soljaofjesus

Some think Paea can be had with our 2nd pick. Ideally, you'd want to trade down to the 20s to pick him up but it would be amazing to come away with. Other thing to consider is that NT and C may not be our most pressing need. I feel Montgomery at Center and Bryant at NT is fine. We need that RDE and LG most importantly if that happens. That RDE can be Watts with #10 and we could still land a top G with our 2nd round pick.

IMO, Paea and Wisniewski are both BPA at the positions that we'd have them play and they're both areas of need and each could make a significant impact on winning battles in the trenches. I think Bryant is a serviceable NT but someone will have to rotate in with him. Imagine having a beast like Paea collapsing the pocket and allowing Orakpo and Landry to blitz to the QB.

IMO, Paea and Wisniewski are both BPA at the positions that we'd have them play and they're both areas of need and each could make a significant impact on winning battles in the trenches. I think Bryant is a serviceable NT but someone will have to rotate in with him. Imagine having a beast like Paea collapsing the pocket and allowing Orakpo and Landry to blitz to the QB.

I'm with you, I've been on the Paea - Wisiewski/Pouncy bandwagon since November...

I enjoy these kinds of threads...gotta respect the threadstarter's passion and its always fun to play GM around this time.

Honestly though we I think we need to go QB at #10. We have burned the McNabb bridge, he'll probably get traded. Grossman is not a full-time starter. We are left either chasing our tail and trading/signing ANOTHER veteran qb...(Palmer, Bulger, Leinart etc...) or just sucking it up...drafting our own guy and take some lumps if thats what it comes to while he develops.

2nd rounder I think we need to take the best lineman available (O or D line, it doesnt matter).

This team is not one Offseason away from contending, if we can all grasp that and accept it then I think it will help stomach another season or two of losing. If we are going to sign FA's then sign some lineman to help our new rookie qb stay upright while he attempts to "develop".

This season needs to be chalked up and deemed a "White Flag Season" because we need to concede the fact that we will not be a competitive team. Draft young guys....sign younger FA's (if any). Dont bite for the Asomughas and dont trade any draft picks to acquire disgruntled/older players.

I yell for it every year.

I want us to trade down as many times as possible, while picking up a few players that’ll fit our offense/defense. Sucker teams into giving us future 1st-4th rounders. Stockpile and horde picks the way the Eagles/Patriots do. Go into every draft with 5-8 picks in the first 4 rounds.

So about five years from now, we're reloading instead of grasping and reaching for players to fill holes at 5-10 different positions.

I think Bruce Allen could turn us into a model franchise in terms of contracts/player acquisition/trades.

For the upcoming offseason, just get younger and drop as many of the bad Vinny contracts/players as possible. That way, when the cap comes back (seems likely), we aren't handcuffed by big contracts to bad/old players and dead money.

Also, the Shannys need to acknowledge that they aren’t as godly as they seem to think they are.

Adapt the schemes to fit players a bit more. I’m not saying scrap the playbook, just tweak it to work better with what we have.

As far as the defense, I still disagree with the move to the 3-4. That’s just my opinion, which I’m entitled to.

But as it is, move forward with adding the right young players to fit it and improve upon our first season in it.

EDIT:

So, overall:

No huge contracts that aren't absolutely needed.

Once the CBA is worked out, which it pretty much has to be, don't sign any 10+ year vets unless it's a punter who's worth signing.

No panic or reach signings or draft moves.

I hope we re-sign J. Brown, R. Doughty, C. Rogers, and C. Wilson. Maybe S. Moss, but he'd be smart to move on while he still has a chance to go to a contender and be productive.

Continue the gradual ascent to respectability with an eye on future league dominance.

Sign Sidney Rice

Resign Santana Moss

sign Davin Joseph

Sign Jonathan Joseph

Sign a Punter that doesn't suck, and is a good holder

Resign Jamal Brown

Resign Grossman 2 years

Draft Locker (If not then one of the defensive line studs) Sorry this draft isn't really that deep to trade down

Draft a C/G in the 2nd

Trade Haynesworth and Mcnabb for some kind of picks

No monster Contracts

With our own players: With AH - tell him he's an NT and if he doesn't like it, suspend him for the rest of the season starting at game 1. If he won't play for the Skins, he doesn't play for the duration of his contract.

Re-sign Carlos Rogers for 4 years. Re-sign Reed Doughty. Re-sign Jamaal Brown.

Keep McNabb, re-sign Grossman to 2 years. The Skins spent a pick on Beck keep him or throw him away but don't draft anither QB until you figure out what you're doing with these 3.

In FA: Sign Kalil in FA from Carolina. Sign Mangold from the Patriots. Sign Jackson from San Diego. Just don't spend any picks getting anyone.

In the Draft: (Only if we got the 3 above). If Haynesworth loses the attitude and plays, draft an OLB, if he doesn't draft a DT who can be a NT. Darreus is perfect. If Haynesworth is playing, then get an OLB like Akeem Ayers.

FA- Davin Joseph, Vincent Jackson, Santana Moss, Rogers, Brown, Doughty, Kalil

Trades- Try and trade haynesworth and mcnabb for a 2nd for haynesworth, if no takers drop to a 3rd, and mcnabb for hopefully a 3rd or 4th.

Draft, try and trade out to a late mid round to later 1st round pick and pick up an additonal 2nd. Draft Julio Jones 1st round, Locker 2nd, and BPA between OLB and NT with the other 2nd.. then go BPA available for the rest of the draft..

I think if they can pull all of this off our team will be MUCH improved, and will have a great foundation moving forwards as all of the FA's ive listed are relatively young besides santana moss

EDIT- Another name to throw out there instead of going with jamaal brown would be ryan harris. Perfect ZBS blocker, and was drafted by shanny

FA - Davin Joseph RG, Ryan Harris - RT, Shaun Ellis - DE, any one of these 3 might happen and i hope to happen.. Lamar Woodley - LB, Johnathan Joseph, Paul Soliai - NT

if we miss on those last 3 i think we should target Ryan Kalil also.. would be a good guy to solidify the line pay him a good amount.

say we walk out with

Davin Joseph

Ryan Harris

Lamar Woodley

Shaun Ellis

Trade down in the draft pick up a 2nd.

Trade Cooley for a 2012 2nd and 2011 4th.

Trade Albert Haynseworth for a 3rd and 5th round pick

Trade McNabb for a 4th or 5th round pick.

1st,2nd, 2nd,3rd,4th,4th,5th,5th,5th,6th,7th,7th

1st Round - Jake Locker

2nd Round - Mike Pouncey

2nd Round - Allen Bailey/Johnathan Baldwin

3rd Round - Casey Mathews

4th Round - Christian Ballard

4th Round - Greg Little

5th Round - Duenta Williams

5th Round - Davon House/Kendric Burney whichever falls farther

5th Round - Josh Bynes

6th Round - Chris Neild

7th Round - Kenny Rowe

7th Round - DeAndre Brown

roll with that.

EDIT - now that i look at it.. Dion Lewis can be fit in there somewhere.

I honestly couldn't tell you. I rarely follow any players outside of Washington that aren't Pro Bowl-caliber, so I know very little about players that could greatly contribute to Washington without requiring a huge payday. From what I've read on here, I'm definitely interested in Ryan Kalil and Davin Joseph. If we could get those two guys, I'd be happy with the offseason.

I would first clear off our roster of underacheiving players as well as old and over the hill vets.

1/ Carlos Rogers

2/ Andre Carter

3/ Philip Daniels

4/ Albert Hayensworth

5/ Kareem Moore

6/ Rocky McIntosh

7/ Reed Doughty

8/ Clinton Portis

9/ Roydell Williams

10/ Mike Sellers

11/ Casey Rabach

12/ Derrick Dockery

13/ Artis Hicks

14/ Rex Grossman

--------------

Draft:

1/ A FRANCHISE QB

2/ RB, Del'Ray Scott RB

3/ Disruptive NT

4/ OL men

5/ A game breaking WR

It may be a little less groundbreaking than most, but honestly my dream scenario is just that we spend our first round draft pick on a stud defensive player rather than a QB (someone like Von Miller, although I'm not sure he'll grade that high) and then are able to get a stud interior OL in the 2nd round. Obviously in my dream scenario not only do we pick these positions, but they turn out to be excellent players as well.

I would be happy if we traded down a few spots as well and were able to pick up another draft pick.

Yeah same, why would you trade a high 2nd for two 3rds that you would then end up tradeing for a late 2nd. That is basically trading an early 2nd for a late 2nd.

Right, it makes me think that he is joking... either that or Matt Millen was typing that

My dream?

Trade our 1st rounder this year for a teams 2012 first and second.

Trade our 2nd rounder this year for a teams 2012 second and third.

Trade our 4th rounder for a teams 3rd rounder.

etc...

Resign Rocky and Carlos

Trade Haynesworth, Carter, Cooley, Fletcher, McNabb, Grossman, Moss, Portis, Jamal Brown, Hall, Rocky, Carlos for 2012/2013 picks

Go into the season as young as you can, evaluating all the young talent on the team, bringing in UDFAs to compete and hopefully find a gem.

Finish with a top 5 draft position for 2012 along with the many other picks.

Get ready for an 8 year run to finish off the decade as Superbowl contenders.

We can't fix this mess in a year. Time to truly rebuild.

---------- Post added January-26th-2011 at 08:14 AM ----------

finally someone talking sense. this should have been done a long time ago.

I'm glad some posters decided to take the time to say something positive and post what they would do instead of trashing the OP. I like the other scenarios however I'm not optimistic that we will get anything for McNabb or Haynesworthless. I really don't think we could get a 5th for Carter either.

Also I thought I heard something about how you can't trade players for draft picks unless a CBA is in place. Is that correct?

Edit: Gibbsfactor - I love it but it won't ever happen due to the win now mentality this team has. I agree that would be the BEST possible option. The skins would have 10+ picks and be in a good position to draft Luck or whoever else they value at the QB position as well as restock with young talent along the lines on both sides of the ball. that would be a dream but realistic situation for me too

Get rid of deadweight, (Haynesworth), Move McNabb both for draft picks. Trade Carter. Resign Rocky McIntosh, Draft our Right Tackle from Wisconsin and another Gaurd from Penn State to play at center. Draft a bunch of lineman and use free agency to shore up the Free Safety, Wide Receiver, and outside linebacker spots. Keep Grossman around another year and go hard after a QB (Aka: Andrew Luck) in Next Years draft. This will really start to build a base for our team and keep the team younger. Stop putting Cooley on the trading block - You people who keep doing this are idiots. Davis is not a better tight end than Cooley. Cooley is one of our base foundation players, trading him would be idiotic!! Not sure about Rogers yet. Great corner, just cant catch a flu if I sneezed it into his face. If we don't resign Rogers, then there is another Free agent aquisition I would try to make.

I got a good laugh at the first post. The bass ackwards trade to go from a second, to 3 third rounders, back to a second, etc, made me laugh.

Oh, and my offseason wish list:

Trade donovan and Haynes for 2 3rd's (wishful thinking, but not out of the realm of possibility)

Pick up WR with Rnd 1; RG and C with rounds 2-3, use the other third for a 3-4 OLB or NT, and use the rest of the draft for young depth on defensive front 7.

FA's: Wouldn't mind VJax or maybe a Jacoby Jones. Whomever the best value availabe is for CB, S, LG and maybe RT for depth.

Just say no to Cam Cam.

As for QB, don't overspend for one. If we improve the rest of the team, I think I might be in the minority who think rex can hold us over for a year, until we can draft a QB next year.

For everyone who keeps posting that we should trade Carter: the guy has a no-trade clause in his contract, which is why they bothered trying to make him fit in the 3-4 this past year. You keep him or release him, but you cannot trade him.

That sucks. Carter is a good player and hard worker and he could be a good situational pass rusher in this defense, but I'm sure he'd rather play DE in another system.

My Offseason wishlist is still growing but right now I can definitely say this is number one on the list:

Draft the best damn QB we can find in round one. I don't care if his name is Douchebag, Shannahan knows QB's and regardless of what some say here no freaking linebacker is going to impact the team as much in turning this around as would getting a stud Franchsie QB. Don't give me some lame idea about taking a QB in later rounds like we did with Brennan, Daniels, Carson Palmers Brother, and the other 7th round "STEALS"...how many games did these later round players start for us and how many starts did we give Ramsey and Campbell the only two first round QB's this teams taken in the draft since Heath Schuler in 1993. And people wonder why this teams sucked for years and years....we have no damn clue. This team and ownership requires a first round QB if we want to see whomever is picked get playing time. That my friends is what I call QB politics. Not to mention the fact the same old spits been flying around this issue....DON'T REACH!!!!.....What a bunch of bullspit. Was Aaron Rogers a reach at pick 24? Was passing on all of the top QB's in the game today all reaches because that's just about what we did...The lesson none of you seem to understand is every year we believe that these QB's don't have first round grades and aren't top prospects yet we see year after year how freaking wrong we were to think that. Maybe some of you like the Brunells and the McNabb's but I'm sick of those other teams washed up old players. We deserve our own franchise QB

Like the poster who also said this...if you can't see this you must be blind

Would be happy with

1. Julio Jones wr. bama

2. LB houston from Georgia

3. Powe nt Ole miss (maybe a stretch but trade AH to lions or eagles for this pick)

5. Black saftey Fl.

5. Lashoure ill rb

6. DE bpa

7. qb tyrod talor

* i preface this by saying i would take OL in 2nd round if we do not sign either Mankin or Joseph. Also would look into seeing what lb david harris nyjets would cost in fa.

I would not be unhappy with this outcome.

Free agency

Release Gano, McIntosh, Heyer, Rabach, Carter, Golston

Find a kicker!

Find a punter.

Find another pass rusher.

Find another 3-4 DE.

Find a free safety.

Find some offensive linemen for competition and depth.

Find a ILB to replace Rocky.

Draft

Trade McNabb for 3rd to QB-needy team that wants to win now(Arizona, Minnesota, Tennessee, Miami)

Trade Haynesworth for 3rd or 4th to team that doesn't mind character issues(Tennessee, Cincinnati, Oakland) or team that likes pass-rushing DTs(Detroit)

Trade down from #10 spot.into late first round. Use both first round picks on interior linemen(preferably Pouncey and Wisniewski).

Use second round pick on QB, NT, or OLB

Use third round pick on QB, WR, NT, or OLB

Use third or fourth round pick on WR, FS, DE, or RB

Use remaining picks on depth and competition at following positions: QB, WR, FS, OLB, ILB, or DE

Couldn't of said it better

Archived