Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Player and Team observations from draftcountdown.com (Locker and Casey Matthews)

cjrugger

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Observations/Monday.php

Take it with a grain of salt (are we really intrested, doing due dilligence, or creating a smokescreen) but the writeup says a Redskins rep made a beeline for Locker after practice to set up a meeting. Big week for him

Also mentions LB Casey Matthews (clay's brother, a bit undersized), Greg Jones (#1 ILB, 2nd round grade), OT James Brewer (6'8 but very athletic, boom or bust prospect)

the link is just a bunch of names under team names :(

um, yeah

---------- Post added January-24th-2011 at 07:35 PM ----------

Would love to see Casey Matthews in the burgundy and gold. He is a little smaller, but the heart is just as big. This is the type of guy we need on the team.

Yeah I agree. Hes not the kind of guy you want to bet against and players like him always seem to end up on good teams (Steelers, Pats)

I'm not sure where Casey Matthews would fit in on the defense though. He's between a 3-4 OLB and ILB. Basically he's more suited for a 4-3.

He's not EVEN close to a 3-4 OLB (3-4 OLB are almost always just undersized but fast DEs) who are usually your bigger backers in a 3-4 scheme (I think they may be the biggest PERIOD). At his size, he's best suited for an ILB role on a 3-4 team or a WLB on a 4-3 team.

He's not EVEN close to a 3-4 OLB (3-4 OLB are almost always just undersized but fast DEs) who are usually your bigger backers in a 3-4 scheme (I think they may be the biggest PERIOD). At his size, he's best suited for an ILB role on a 3-4 team or a WLB on a 4-3 team.

Clay Matthews weighed 240 at the combine, Casey weighed 232 today, not much different

When you have a player like London Fletcher on your team why on earth would you judge college prospects by their size? You turn on the film and look at their play and make a decision from the tape. Size mean absolutely nothing! Casey Mathews can play 3-4 or 4-3 it just depends on how much physical technique and football smarts he possess.

IMO we need an OLB and ILB. Carter and McNitosh need to be replaced and then add depth at OLB/ILB. Although the Skins may have hybrid looks, the 3-4 defense relies heavily on the LBs to make plays. Orkapo is money. Fletcher is money, but needs to start training is replacement. OneManGang is awesome. The others need to be traded for picks. All I know is that I have faith in whatever Shanny/Allen do. Unlike the past 10 years where Danny/Vinny played fantasy football.

I wonder how much misdirection there is at events like this and I wonder how much a team tracks what other teams are doing?

Obviously, the fans care, and unless you really want a player or are deciding on a first or second round pick, I wonder how much other teams track the interest?

"The full practice reports will be posted later but I gathered a handful of interesting tidbits that make for good blog material. Perhaps most notable is that right after practice a Washington Redskins scout made a beeline for Washington QB Jake Locker to set up a meeting. Don’t forget, rumor has it the Skins were extremely interested in Locker at #4 overall last year before he opted to stay in school and they turned their attention to Donovan McNabb.'

The 5 PM Blog entry

Pod cast with Locker and Von Miller

You forgot to mention we are looking at TE Lance Kendricks. Here is his scouting report:

Lance Kendricks is one of the top senior tight end prospects heading into the 2011 NFL Draft. Kendricks possesses a lot of the tools necessary to have a quality NFL career. He's a big target -- at 6'4 -- with big shoulders and good speed. His blocking ability (while not his biggest strength) has been well-refined while at the University of Wisconsin. His college statistics don't jump out at you, but Wisconsin is a run-heavy team.

He can play out wide and has enough speed to create mismatches against linebackers in coverage. He had a breakout performance come in the 2009 Champs Sports Bowl with seven receptions for 128 yards. He also sprung two huge blocks on two plays, which led to Wisconsin's only two touchdowns of the game. Kendricks stood out and showed his full talent in the game to NFL scouts.

Kendricks tends to cradle catches into his body rather than catching balls with his hands. He makes up for this problem by having great body control and makes great adjustments to the ball in mid-air.

Given his speed, catching ability and above-average talent as a run-blocker, Kendricks projects as a second round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

I would love for us to get a guy like this. I really believe Cooley is being traded this year.

You forgot to mention we are looking at TE Lance Kendricks. Here is his scouting report:

Lance Kendricks is one of the top senior tight end prospects heading into the 2011 NFL Draft. Kendricks possesses a lot of the tools necessary to have a quality NFL career. He's a big target -- at 6'4 -- with big shoulders and good speed. His blocking ability (while not his biggest strength) has been well-refined while at the University of Wisconsin. His college statistics don't jump out at you, but Wisconsin is a run-heavy team.

He can play out wide and has enough speed to create mismatches against linebackers in coverage. He had a breakout performance come in the 2009 Champs Sports Bowl with seven receptions for 128 yards. He also sprung two huge blocks on two plays, which led to Wisconsin's only two touchdowns of the game. Kendricks stood out and showed his full talent in the game to NFL scouts.

Kendricks tends to cradle catches into his body rather than catching balls with his hands. He makes up for this problem by having great body control and makes great adjustments to the ball in mid-air.

Given his speed, catching ability and above-average talent as a run-blocker, Kendricks projects as a second round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

I would love for us to get a guy like this. I really believe Cooley is being traded this year.

I'd prefer us not to draft a tightend that high even if we traded Cooley.

I'm not sure where Casey Matthews would fit in on the defense though. He's between a 3-4 OLB and ILB. Basically he's more suited for a 4-3.

He's definitely an ILB. Especially if we pick up Woodley in FA. Matthews and Fletcher/Riley will make a good ILB combo for the next few years.

I'd prefer us not to draft a tightend that high even if we traded Cooley.

Agreed. Maybe a guy with huge athletic potential in the 5th or so, or even later. Like what the Rams did with Onobun. But you can't draft a guy with the same pick you get for Cooley...and that's what you're talking about with a 2nd round prospect, if we even get that for Cooley (I think we can). You have to trade him because you think you're set at TE behind him, and can use that pick elsewhere...except for maybe a late pick with high potential, like I already said.

Archived