Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Player and Team observations from draftcountdown.com (Locker and Casey Matthews)

cjrugger

I would go nuts for Casey, I think that could be the best pick the team makes if they do it. What I do not get, is that some people agree that he will be a good player, but then say they would not draft him higher than the 3rd or 4th round? WTF??? You have a guy who will be the leader of your defense for 10+ years if you decide to keep him, but you won't draft him at #10 or in the second round because other scouts have him graded as a later round prospect? All his family has shown is that they rarely get injured, have great football IQ, give 110% on every play and are total team players with little to no ego (at least if it is there, it does not get in the way of the team), but don't draft him until 100 other players have been drafted, which includes about 30-45 busts. That just seems crazy to me, especially for a kid who's intangibles- which are hard to determine- are so blatantly obvious. Teams die trying to find a guy like Casey, but you don't want to take him in the 1st round because he is 2" shorter and 10lbs lighter than 5 other top LB prospects?

I think the best thing for the skins to do is if there is no one they are crazy for at #10 and there is still a QB available, try and trade down into the first, does not matter which spot and pick up a few more picks, then with the lower first round take Casey and go the rest of the draft taking BPA and fill in what you do not get with FA. I don't like this "we need a BLANK so that is what we are drafting first" mentality.

I love Lance Kendricks and Greg Jones. They are both going to be excellent players some day. Obviously ILB and TE aren't exactly at the top of our list of draft priorities. But we could do a lot worse than drafting them. It'd be nice to trade down and pick up multiple picks in the 50's and 60's. That's probably where all of those nice players like Jones will go because they don't have ideal measurables.

I would go nuts for Casey, I think that could be the best pick the team makes if they do it. What I do not get, is that some people agree that he will be a good player, but then say they would not draft him higher than the 3rd or 4th round? WTF??? You have a guy who will be the leader of your defense for 10+ years if you decide to keep him, but you won't draft him at #10 or in the second round because other scouts have him graded as a later round prospect? All his family has shown is that they rarely get injured, have great football IQ, give 110% on every play and are total team players with little to no ego (at least if it is there, it does not get in the way of the team), but don't draft him until 100 other players have been drafted, which includes about 30-45 busts. That just seems crazy to me, especially for a kid who's intangibles- which are hard to determine- are so blatantly obvious. Teams die trying to find a guy like Casey, but you don't want to take him in the 1st round because he is 2" shorter and 10lbs lighter than 5 other top LB prospects?

I think the best thing for the skins to do is if there is no one they are crazy for at #10 and there is still a QB available, try and trade down into the first, does not matter which spot and pick up a few more picks, then with the lower first round take Casey and go the rest of the draft taking BPA and fill in what you do not get with FA. I don't like this "we need a BLANK so that is what we are drafting first" mentality.

I'm thanking the gods of football right now that you aren't our GM.

I think that people are seeing that Matthews last name and getting a little carried away. He's not of the same caliber as his brother. He's much smaller and he's not as good an athlete as Clay. The apple did actually fall a little far from the tree. I don't really see Matthews as being an upgrade over Perry Riley, and there are a lot of ILBs in this class that are superior prospects to Matthews including Jones.

Bloodlines are nice but you can only take it so far. Greg Lloyd jr.'s bloodlines are as good as anyone else and I don't think he's much of a LB prospect.

I think that people are seeing that Matthews last name and getting a little carried away. He's not of the same caliber as his brother. He's much smaller and he's not as good an athlete as Clay. The apple did actually fall a little far from the tree. I don't really see Matthews as being an upgrade over Perry Riley, and there are a lot of ILBs in this class that are superior prospects to Matthews including Jones.

Bloodlines are nice but you can only take it so far. Greg Lloyd jr.'s bloodlines are as good as anyone else and I don't think he's much of a LB prospect.

What's interesting about Clay he was considered the third best linebacker when he was at USC. Now is better then both Maluga and Cushing. Casey will probably go earlier then he should do to his name. But, he will make it. The question is how good will he become.

I'm all about getting this guy, but with a FIRST?! They don't even expect teams to look in his direction until the 4-5th round range. Talk about a reach.

He's NOT a guaranteed talent, he'd be a project player, and I'd like him, but let's be sensible here.

I'm all about getting this guy, but with a FIRST?! They don't even expect teams to look in his direction until the 4-5th round range. Talk about a reach.

He's NOT a guaranteed talent, he'd be a project player, and I'd like him, but let's be sensible here.

Yeah. Peoples say some crazy things.

I've noticed you sure do love throwing Copernicus' name around a lot on every draft/qb/topic related thread...question is...why?

What reasons do you have to believe "he is going to something special in the NFL"?

Is it the top defenses he faced in the nation every week? The pro-style spread offense out of the pistol/9mm/ballistic knife or whatever you wanna call these gimmicks?

Saying he's going to be something special and leaving it like that implies, you're hoping, guessing, or you're Michael J Fox who just returned from the future and knows the next time a Championship is brought to D.C. amongst other things.

FYI, Copernicus isn't projected as of right now to be drafted any higher then mid-late 4th round into the 5th round by the respected mocking drafts, so you may have hope if the Skins pass on QB til then and he's still floating around out there.

I wonder how much misdirection there is at events like this and I wonder how much a team tracks what other teams are doing?

Obviously, the fans care, and unless you really want a player or are deciding on a first or second round pick, I wonder how much other teams track the interest?

At this point, I would think it'd be a little early to start with the smokescreens.

the link is just a bunch of names under team names :(
um, yeah

---------- Post added January-24th-2011 at 07:35 PM ----------

Yeah I agree. Hes not the kind of guy you want to bet against and players like him always seem to end up on good teams (Steelers, Pats)

Yeah I gotta agree with gutlead here...basically you're just posting a link to names, not an article. Good to know.

What's interesting about Clay he was considered the third best linebacker when he was at USC. Now is better then both Maluga and Cushing. Casey will probably go earlier then he should do to his name. But, he will make it. The question is how good will he become.

Well I think it's early to be considering Clay Matthews a better LB than Cushing. He certainly had a better 2010 season but Cushing had the better rookie season and he would have been an All-Pro if he hadn't been disqualified. Both are special. Only time will tell which

I do think it's funny that Maualuga seems to have fallen behind them though because he was clearly the star of that LB corps.

Back to Casey, I just don't think he's that special. He's not an explosive player, he's a stiff athlete, he's not particularly great with his hands, and he's not a playmaker (usually the second or third one to the ball). It seems like he'll be a mature and professional guy at the next level given his family background. But I just don't think he's that talented. I see him sitting around until the 6th round or later if he gets drafted. I think Perry Riley is markedly better than Casey, and I'd rather look to him to be our starter beside London.

Yea he looks nice out there maybe as athletic as cam and has huge arm just has to make adjustment to m nfl like all the qbs. He is raw but tons of upside i could see shanny drafting him as a project in the mid rounds.

I like ponder too from fsu

Would love to see Casey Matthews in the burgundy and gold. He is a little smaller, but the heart is just as big. This is the type of guy we need on the team.
Casey Matthews might turn out to be good, but I think he is just riding off the rep of his brother. The games I saw him in, he really didn't do much.

Casey Matthews might turn out to be good, but I think he is just riding off the rep of his brother. The games I saw him in, he really didn't do much.

yeah, running around the line on a reverse and chasing the ball carrier down from the opposite side of the field and punching the ball out of his hands is a pedestrian play that any LB prospect can make. What was I thinking? this kid sucks. Everyone thinks the kid gets a 4th round grade so that's how good he will be. Just like Tom Brady, that guy was rated as a 7th round pick and stupid New England drafted him in the 6th, and now look what they are stuck with, a guy who has a burning desire to play and beat everyone that crosses him,which is good, but he has a weak arm and lack of mobility compared to others in his draft class, so he obviously sucks. And London Fletcher, that guy was not even drafted so he must be the worst player in the NFL, how does he even still have a job? There where like 40 guys ahead of him in the pre draft rankings, so obviously there has to be 40 better ILB still in the league who where drafted in 1998.

I am so tired of the scouting groups pumping up kids who have raw talent but no heart, no desire and poor work ethics- see Vernon Gholston, Aaron Maybin, and Brady Quinn for the most recent examples of kids who get bumped up a draft board by scouts because the scout saw the kid on national TV. Casey has all of the intangibles that teams say is vital in a good player, things that they die trying to find out if a kid has before they draft him and you don't want to take him because he is 10 lbs lighter and 0.005 seconds slower in the 40 or do 2 less bench reps? I think this kid will make any GM that drafts him, except for Bill Polian (cause Polian would take him #1 overall if he liked him and not care what any scout thinks), look like a genius and everyone else will be checking back to see what scrub their team drafted a few spots ahead of Casey.

And if you had watched Clay in college, you would have said the same thing, "riding the rep of his father."

Casey went to Oregon to NOT "ride the rep." With as good as Clay was, Casey probably could have walked on to USC too and made it, but he wanted to make his own name, at least as much as he could. He might not make the flashy plays, but he has a nose for the ball. If he's available when we're around to pick, I would love to grab him in the 4th or 5th.

Archived