Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Computer Processor Speed Question

ACW

sure you can. 2 sticks in one channel, one in the other. they don't have to be symmetrical to run dual mode. Intel calls it "Flex Mode" (he''s getting an intel chipset).

Yeah but you get it's slowest common denominator it would be better to have matching sticks in dual. Having to operate in both single and dual mode is supposedly harder on the memory controller which is now in your cpu (as opposed to a separate chip) Here's how Intel describes it:

Flex mode

This mode provides the most flexible performance characteristics. The bottommost DRAM memory (the memory that is lowest within the system memory map) is mapped to dual channel operation; the topmost DRAM memory (the memory that is nearest to the 8 GB address space limit), if any, is mapped to single channel operation. Flex mode results in multiple zones of dual and single channel operation across the whole of DRAM memory. To use flex mode, it is necessary to populate both channels.

Memory Configuration for Flex Mode

The use of flex mode requires DIMMs to be installed in both channels.

The figure below shows a flex mode configuration using two DIMMs. The operation is as follows:

* The 512 MB DIMM in the Channel A, DIMM 0 socket and the lower 512 MB of the DIMM in the Channel B, DIMM 0 socket operate together in dual channel mode.

* The remaining (upper) 512 MB of the DIMM in Channel B operates in single channel mode.

I seriously doubt it would be a difference any of us could see but I think you're better off with matching sets per channel specially how finicky most motherboards are with DDR3.

Man I don't think I'd want to skimp on a MOBO, I'd rather go back later and add more RAM or upgrade a videocard than that, but then I went w/ a lesser MOBO brand in the past and had to go through resoldering *popped* connections, so that probably colors my opinion.

A good gaming computer is between 500 and 1000.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006736%20600030537&IsNodeId=1&name=Gaming

The 1000+ are overkill but anything between 500 and 1000 is fine

I had a bad experience with "ibuypower" a few years ago. Spent 1500 bucks with them and they never sent my gear. Had to get a lawyer involved and they even went so far as to track down my employer (from where I sent one email to them) and complained that I was "harrassing" them!

I like that CompUSA has hooked up w/ TigerDirect (especially since I have a store nearby). I can shop online w/ TD and get stuff thru the store. I have used Tiger for several generations of comps at home and have nothing but good to say about them. Plus I can frequently get deals not listed online at CompUSA from TD's product base.

I purchased this computer over the weekend:

http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-p6710f-Desktop-PC/product_918389&cmArea=CIRCULAR

With a 23" monitor that was on sale at Best Buy.

I don't really game that much but does anyone see any problems I might have with the specs and/or could I make some upgrades to make this a decent PC to play games on at a later date?

I have 14 days to return and I'm really happy with it's performance thus far - just want to get some expert opinions since my knowledge of computer specs is pretty outdated nowadays.

i dunno about spending $500 on a gaming rig. my video cards cost more than $500.

Then you must have one screamer of a setup to justify those. TD has a Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB @ $260, your system's running beyond that? And that's a pricier one. All the VC in the world is idling if the rest of it can't keep up.

good price, but it won't run games. it uses an integrated graphics card. you could always buy a decent graphics card and stick it in there, but then you might also need to upgrade the power supply (it doesn't say what kind of power supply is in there).

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 04:58 PM ----------

Then you must have one screamer of a setup to justify those. TD has a Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB @ $260, your system's running beyond that? And that's a pricier one. All the VC in the world is idling if the rest of it can't keep up.

i've got twin water-cooled nvidia 295's ... and trust me the rest of the system can keep up :) (it isn't brand new anymore, but it is still a monster)

good price, but it won't run games. it uses an integrated graphics card. you could always buy a decent graphics card and stick it in there, but then you might also need to upgrade the power supply (it doesn't say what kind of power supply is in there).

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 04:58 PM ----------

Sweet.

I knew I would need to upgrade it if I ever wanted to game on it but that shouldn't be a problem if I ever decide to play anything but PS3/360.

Just wanted to make sure I got a decent computer at a good price to do work related stuff on for now. I thought the price was pretty good.

Another way to save money on the spec we chose in addition to those listed already would be on the optical drive. We put in a 12x Bluray because we will be using it as a HT PC. Obviously, the HT remote is irrelevant unless you plan to use it for this. We beefed up the spec in plenty of other areas because I'm sure some gaming will be done, even though we're console gamers.

What is the intended use of the PC?

You guys who want us to help build a rig, give us some details on price range you're looking at, and really what kind of gaming you'll be doing on it.

For me, I'd like to stay under $650 and really mainly want to check out the new Rift game. Maybe try Aion again (my system couldnt handle it)

Looking for doing it next month maybe.

I have a question about motherboards. Will any motherboard fit in any tower? I have an Asus tower that's about 10 years old that has just been sitting in my closet. I want to build my own desktop using that tower. Will a new motherboard fit in there?

yikes, dare i ask a picture of this 10 year old tower? Computer cases back then were so heavy and clunky. At least from the ones I'd had experience with.

I have a question about motherboards. Will any motherboard fit in any tower?

No, the case will specify which MB it will take. Usually there's a lot of leeway but there are micro cases which won't fit a regular MB. I've no idea about the case you are talking about though.

I have a question about motherboards. Will any motherboard fit in any tower? I have an Asus tower that's about 10 years old that has just been sitting in my closet. I want to build my own desktop using that tower. Will a new motherboard fit in there?

the answer is "yeah probably (unless it's a tiny case)" but modern cases have some amazing conveniences for getting drives and other components in and out. plus the USB ports on the case (if there are any) might not be 2.0 compliant.

the answer is "yeah probably (unless it's a tiny case)" but modern cases have some amazing conveniences for getting drives and other components in and out. plus the USB ports on the case (if there are any) might not be 2.0 compliant.

I was pleased to see we didn't need a separate NIC card with the new machine and it was built into the MB. I guess an old case might not have that port. Yeah ... it's been that long since I was messing around inside a PC case.

yikes, dare i ask a picture of this 10 year old tower? Computer cases back then were so heavy and clunky. At least from the ones I'd had experience with.

Trying to find a pic. It has an Asus motherboard in there already. Someone said something about USB 2.0......no way that this thing has it.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 02:12 PM ----------

I was pleased to see we didn't need a separate NIC card with the new machine and it was built into the MB. I guess an old case might not have that port. Yeah ... it's been that long since I was messing around inside a PC case.

No onboard NIC on this thing.

ASUS.jpg

This is what my case looks like but I don't have that fan on the side.

No onboard NIC on this thing.

I don't know for other modern MBs but I guess your old case may not be useful. This image shows the ports/connections that are built into the MB we bought. The MB comes with a 'panel shield' that slots into the case in front of the various ports.

13-131-599-TS?$S300W$

Archived