Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Computer Processor Speed Question

ACW

You're welcome. :cheers: I have my desktop PC on my tv these days and on Sundays I have the game on (usually have to stream it out here in Pukeville) and my fantasy teams and NFL.com on my laptop next to my chair. Complete NFL submersion - it rocks.
My desktop will be...well...on top of my desk :ols: While I have my fantasy teams on my laptop on my coffee table (I just started that late this season since I got wireless for my Wii),

My desktop will be...well...on top of my desk :ols: While I have my fantasy teams on my laptop on my coffee table (I just started that late this season since I got wireless for my Wii),

I hear you, the names are all kind of generic these days. My "desktop" is actually in a box that looks just like my Pioneer receiver under my tv. I figured why buy a monitor when I have a 46" one? Plus, I'm generally sitting on my lazyboy when I'm on the web and it's become just another source of entertainment. I also killed my dtv connection last year so netflix/hulu has become my tv with over the air thrown in.

Too true, you can get a lot more oomph for a lot less bucks in a desktop. That should be your gaming platform, you'll never see laptops compete due to size and heat considerations, plus you can upgrade components in a PC to keep it current longer. For example, video cards w/ a dedicated gig onboard are dirt cheap so you don't tax the system RAM.

Do what KAO recommends, pump it through your TV, wireless keyboard/mouse if you wanna surf it, get a good sound card and rock the game audio..........and all for less than a middling laptop.

• 5 weeks later...
I disagree somewhat. A good laptop today should be able to last a few years of gaming if you're willing to turn the game settings down.

Key phrase is "turn the game settings down". Unless you buy a really expensive laptop, it's probably not wise to use them to play games.

I have the OP on ignore but I can see from replies and I would strongly recommend getting a desktop for gaming purposes, and it won't be that expensive if OP builds it himself

Don't know if he can build it himself though so it'd probably be wiser to have a pre-built one from Dell or something. When he looks for PC's if he's buying, he should probably focus on RAM and Video Cards. Avoid the integrated ones and he should be able to play good PC games

I'll probably get a pre-built one. I'm by no means computer-illiterate, but when it comes to building them it's a different matter.

Understood, but it isn't as daunting as some believe. It's not like you have to mine ore and actually fabricate a processor :ols: It's all plug-n-play, the hardest part is taking some time to do a lil reading and research beforehand. You can get some nice barebone kits w/ instructions to walk you through it, you get more for your money and are more able to selectively upgrade it instead of just tossing it and getting a whole new one later.

But like anything else, you can pay for the convenience of not doing it, there's nothing wrong in that. I just like getting in there, knowing the component parts and how they interact, and having the option of addressing problems if they do arise but not everyone else does.

Understood, but it isn't as daunting as some believe. It's not like you have to mine ore and actually fabricate a processor :ols: It's all plug-n-play, the hardest part is taking some time to do a lil reading and research beforehand. You can get some nice barebone kits w/ instructions to walk you through it, you get more for your money and are more able to selectively upgrade it instead of just tossing it and getting a whole new one later.

But like anything else, you can pay for the convenience of not doing it, there's nothing wrong in that. I just like getting in there, knowing the component parts and how they interact, and having the option of addressing problems if they do arise but not everyone else does.

I'm also considering doing my first ever build, but am very intimidated overall. Are there kits or something similar that have good directions that a novice could follow to build a gaming unit on the cheap?

I'm also considering doing my first ever build, but am very intimidated overall. Are there kits or something similar that have good directions that a novice could follow to build a gaming unit on the cheap?

the components come with instructions. all you need to know is what to buy, really, and we can help you with that.

My son is going through the process of building his first machine. Fingers crossed for when we hit the power and everything works.

Final spec ordered is this:

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

GIGABYTE GV-R685D5-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC

Lenovo 57Y6336 Black USB RF Wireless Mini Multimedia Remote with keyboard (N5901)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

ASUS Maximus III GENE LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 compatible GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM[/b] 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

The ASUS might work. I'm trying not to spend over 1000 here :ols:

Though I've got plenty of Wii games; I may wait until my birthday or around that time (late NOV).

Unfortunately you are not going to get a gaming laptop for under a grand.. You can get a machine that will run the game better than your current one, but if gaming is your focus and you want the full experience then you're going to have to pay =(

My son is going through the process of building his first machine. Fingers crossed for when we hit the power and everything works.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

GIGABYTE GV-R685D5-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC

Lenovo 57Y6336 Black USB RF Wireless Mini Multimedia Remote with keyboard (N5901)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760

COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 compatible GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM[/b] 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Respectable part list.. Only questions I have are, why i5? I mean you're putting the money out, go for an i7 ;p.

And 7 Home premium?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116758&cm_re=windows_7_professional_64-bit_oem-_-32-116-758-_-Product

Go pro for 40 bucks more.

How much does a list like that run?

How much does a list like that run?

With various deals and discounts, just over $1k.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 09:42 AM ----------

Go pro for 40 bucks more.

Why?

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 09:44 AM ----------

very nice. pro move getting the 60GB SSD (presumably for the operating system / apps) and then a slow 5400 RPM 2 TB drive for storage (that is a crapload of space though -- planning on storing a ton of high def video?

We don't need the HD disk space, but the cost was so low it gives us the option. Yes, the SSD is for the OS and apps. We're looking forward to see what the SSD does. The cost of the 60GB SSD is now down to $100 or less so it wasn't a hard choice.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 09:48 AM ----------

I mean you're putting the money out, go for an i7 ;p.

We thought about it, and also thought about waiting a few weeks for Sandy Bridge too, but enough was enough. It is his first build. Lucky kid. :ols:

Sounds like you and your son are going to have some fun putting that together corcaigh. That 300 case is a nice one for the money (heck it's a nice one period). Everything else looks really good and you'll be fine with the i5 I have that same cpu in my gaming rig and it want's for nothing. The only time you would see a big benefit from an i7 is if you were decoding, transcoding, encoding and all the other sorts of codings involving video.

If you were suggest where one might cut corners to reduce the price by a few hundred more, where would the cuts occur? (if any)

if you really want to build something similar but cut costs, you could:

- go with the stock cooling solution that comes with the processor instead of buying the cooler master.

- get a smaller hard drive, as 2 TB is overkill, but i'm not sure how much money that would save since they're pretty cheap.

- go with a cheaper video card, but be aware that the video card is the single most important component if you plan on playing games. if you're not going to game, just get a cheap card -- you won't know the difference.

- you could also get away with 6GB RAM instead of 8GB.

not criticizing the original list -- it's pretty good. just saying these are the places where you would probably sacrafice the least performance for skimping.

If you were suggest where one might cut corners to reduce the price by a few hundred more, where would the cuts occur? (if any)

A cheaper motherboard

Skip the lenovo remote

4 gigs of ram instead of 8. you can't use 6 and have dual channel

Skip the SSD

I think that's more than two hundred right there and your not sacrificing much at all.

Archived