Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Schefter Redskins Chat for 1/21/11

GenMgr

I definitely agree with Schefter that we need a QB before thinking about competing for a championship. Although I'm not sure how some of you get that we're going to draft Cam Newton out of this. There was only one mention of him in the entire chat and people are already claiming that it's "inevitable" that he'll be a Redskin. Our fanbase is hilarious sometimes.

That is TRUE (qb) but.... we are years away anyway, so whos to say that QB is in THIS class???????

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 09:19 PM ----------

If Newton really is a cross between Freeman and big Ben, there is no way he gets to us at 10.

It does if you work in the law of averages. Freeman (17) and Ben (11)= 28. That would be available untill pick #14

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 09:22 PM ----------

Look at Elway's numbers before Shanahan as HC, and Elway's numbers with Shanahan as HC, and prepare to be very surprised.

Also, he took Plummer from the scrap heap after he was dreadful in Arizona, and turned him into a productive QB. Plummer never once threw for more TDs than INTs in a season until 2003 when he threw 15 TDs and 7 INTs--which just happened to be his first year under Shanahan.

Look at the Broncos in general. There where many years Elway had to pass cause no run game. Then Shanny hit on TD and still had 1000 yard backs w/ street bums.

That is TRUE (qb) but.... we are years away anyway, so whos to say that QB is in THIS class???????

I think most of us realize we are a few years away (look how quick Atlanta rebuilt), but if you can get the qb that the FO and current coach think is the guy then you take him no questions asked. But you are right, all the argument over if the QB is or isn't in this class or available at #10 is pointless unless the FO/Coach think he is the guy.

As in our old #53 Marcus? I'd love it!!!!!:D:D:D

I thought Marvcus Patton

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 09:31 PM ----------

I think most of us realize we are a few years away (look how quick Atlanta rebuilt), but if you can get the qb that the FO and current coach think is the guy then you take him no questions asked. But you are right, all the argument over if the QB is or isn't in this class or available at #10 is pointless unless the FO/Coach think he is the guy.

Just because the coach/FO thinks they know everything doesnt get me on board, they have been consistantly wrong before. Just like switching the D and not having pieces, THEN trading picks that we needed on some more offense..........DUMB. I dont think Gabbert or Cam are Ryan material.

Just because the coach/FO thinks they know everything doesnt get me on board, they have been consistantly wrong before. Just like switching the D and not having pieces, THEN tradeing picks that we needed on some more offense..........DUMB. I dont think Gabbert or Cam are Ryan material.

Not possible that they knew we did not have all the pieces but needed to see how what was here worked in a 3-4 (esp with the new CBA coming down the pipes) to see who to keep and who to shed?

Not possible that the trade for Brown was to get a RT for the future (3-5 years).

Not possible that the McNabb trade was simply a bad judgement? Armstrong, Banks, Torain being good judgment pickups?

Other then the McNabb trade I don't really know of anything else that would make the current front office be, as you say, "consistantly wrong".

And Newtons character is NOT in question??

His character is definitely in question. He's someone that if I'm a scout I sit down and I pick his brain to see what kind of person he really is and if he's going to be someone I can count on to be my QB. If he proves that then you have a different opinion but if he comes off as a guy you aren't sure will put in the work and be your guy then stay away and go a different route. That was something scouts loved about QB's like Stafford and Bradford was they were smart guys who would sit down and tell you which route they would throw to in certain coverages. It was great watching the one on Stafford because Mayock picked his brain on route combos versus coverages and he was dead on and that impressed Mayock.

Just saying that character is a huge thing now

Seriously, I think TK is Adam Schefter or somebody important. Its no way you just randomly guess this and a month later it starts being thrown around by professionals.

So you're saying Schefter is someone that's not important? :)

Not possible that they knew we did not have all the pieces but needed to see how what was here worked in a 3-4 (esp with the new CBA coming down the pipes) to see who to keep and who to shed?

Not possible that the trade for Brown was to get a RT for the future (3-5 years).

Not possible that the McNabb trade was simply a bad judgement? Armstrong, Banks, Torain being good judgment pickups?

Other then the McNabb trade I don't really know of anything else that would make the current front office be, as you say, "consistantly wrong".

Obviously "consistantly" implies past FOs. Why is it NOT possible to forsee things? Maybe they didnt forsee Albert not getting on board BUT expecting some people to openly except change is kinda ignorant. Shanny knew Torain already and maybe genius on AA and BB or maybe a little luck. I think RAK will be better fitted for a 3-4 (at LB) and maybe that is why they switched BUT they could have switched him back to DE w/ his hand in the dirt. Secondly, I dont think Hasslet was the right choice. I dont care if he had some/minimal exposure in Pitt or whatever, he never switched to it w/ the Rams or Saints. There best bet was to go and get an aging Kemoeatu to play nose who was a DT in a 4-3 at Carolina????. Im a total believer in NOT trading w/in your division and was cool w/ Rex. I got to see alot of him cause Im in Chicago viewing area. One of these "system" qbs at Florida so I think hes a "pure passer" type. He never had weapons in Chicago: Berrian, Muhammad (declining) and D.Clark. We could have (my selection) would have been T.Cody to play NT. I like the Brown trade and the Carriker trade and the Williams pick.

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 10:21 PM ----------

His character is definitely in question. He's someone that if I'm a scout I sit down and I pick his brain to see what kind of person he really is and if he's going to be someone I can count on to be my QB. If he proves that then you have a different opinion but if he comes off as a guy you aren't sure will put in the work and be your guy then stay away and go a different route. That was something scouts loved about QB's like Stafford and Bradford was they were smart guys who would sit down and tell you which route they would throw to in certain coverages. It was great watching the one on Stafford because Mayock picked his brain on route combos versus coverages and he was dead on and that impressed Mayock.

Just saying that character is a huge thing now

Its hard to pick his brain. You need a lie detector test, these athletes are now being coached up to say the right things, especially when you have an issue. On the football side, yes, you can test him on coverages, reads and hot routes. I find it hard to believe (dont) he didnt know anything on pay 4 play. It will all come out later when hes on OUR roster and become a big distraction. NO THANKS ON CAM

So you're saying Schefter is someone that's not important? :)

I'm on to you. I have only been a member for a brief period of time but all your predictions come to light. Its crazy. I remember what you said about Cam. It was back in December when Rex was starting against Dallas. Now all of a sudden Mel Kiper, Adem Schef, and a slew of others in the mainstream media are talking about Cam to DC.

Are we at least going to draft him some help (New C, WR, G)..? Cam can't do this alone.

HAIL!

I'm on to you. I have only been a member for a brief period of time but all your predictions come to light. Its crazy. I remember what you said about Cam. It was back in December when Rex was starting against Dallas. Now all of a sudden Mel Kiper, Adem Schef, and a slew of others in the mainstream media are talking about Cam to DC.

Are we at least going to draft him some help (New C, WR, G)..? Cam can't do this alone.

HAIL!

Dude, I don't give a **** how short of a time period that you've been here; you're a dumbass.

If it took you more than half an hour to figure out that TK is Cam Newton, then you're too stupid to be a Redskins fan. Have fun in Dallas.

Dude, I don't give a **** how short of a time period that you've been here; you're a dumbass.

If it took you more than half an hour to figure out that TK is Cam Newton, then you're too stupid to be a Redskins fan. Have fun in Dallas.

I'm a dumb ass? seriously..

So I'm the only dumb ass that noticed this man is rarely wrong with anything he predicts?

Or better yet I'm a dumb ass for asking him if he has any inside info on the other potential positions we are trying to fill this off-season?

The name calling sounds real Philly. Maybe you're to cruel to be a Redskins fan. Have fun in Philly.

Hail!

I'm a dumb ass? seriously..

So I'm the only dumb ass that noticed this man is rarely wrong with anything he predicts?

Or better yet I'm a dumb ass for asking him if he has any inside info on the other potential positions we are trying to fill this off-season?

The name calling sounds real Philly. Maybe you're to cruel to be a Redskins fan. Have fun in Philly.

Hail!

Hahaha, dude, I was joking with you!

TK doesn't actually exist. Some days he's Schefter, some days he's Allen, some days he's a woman (legend has it, anyway), and other days he's the guy handing out tickets to Dallas fans at FedEx to fly back to Dallas.

I didn't want you to take it the way that you did, but your reaction to my miscommunication was pretty damned calm and mature. Props to you! :cheers:

BTW, I tend to say dick things on this board, so I apologize in advance. I usually mean nothing by it. :)

Hahaha, dude, I was joking with you!

TK doesn't actually exist. Some days he's Schefter, some days he's Allen, some days he's a woman (legend has it, anyway), and other days he's the guy handing out tickets to Dallas fans at FedEx to fly back to Dallas.

I didn't want you to take it the way that you did, but your reaction to my miscommunication was pretty damned calm and mature. Props to you! :cheers:

BTW, I tend to say dick things on this board, so I apologize in advance. I usually mean nothing by it. :)

Its all good man. your a skins fan its cool lol.

Hail!

Don't understand why anyone would think Cam Newton isn't right for the Skins, especially "right now"? I understand if your opinion is that Cam Newton might not translate to an NFL QB, but if you believe Newton will have success at the next level, then the Redskins is a perfect situation for him.

I really don't think this is accurate at all. IMO this is the last place Newton would work out (as far as QB needy teams). The guy has freakish athletic talents however he would not only need serious coaching up in the NFL, but it is quite probable that he would need an offense to be overhauled to suit what he can do well. The Shanahans have their offense and they know how they want to run it. They aren't going to tailor everything to suit a person who can't or won't run it (see McNabb, Donovan). I find it unlikely that they are going to bring in a kid who played one year of D1 ball and was in a gimmicky offense where he ran almost as many times as he passed as that is far from the type of offense they run. Roll outs and boots? Yes. Option offense? Very far from it.

Another thing that seems to be popping up is that we are a good team for Newton because a young QB will have lots of time to sit and learn. I call BS on that one. Shanahan is likely going to want a QB who will have the possibility of starting sooner rather than later. I doubt that means he would throw the guy in on day one, but he will want a QB who he thinks can pick up the offense and run with it quickly enough that he could possibly start at some point in his first year, or at least test the waters with him. I don't think he will pick up a QB who will have to sit a couple of years before he is ready to play.

“But there aren’t a ton of players you look at on Redskins roster as building blocks…”.

Thank you Vinny.

I would also blame Snyder but he was a just a soggy bottomed kid still wet behind the ears. You couldn't expect him to build a team. Vinny took Snyder, the team and Redskins fans everywhere for a very long ride.

Would not be a stretch to say that firing Casserly was the first and worst of a long list of Snyder mistakes leading to the Redskins decline. Casserly could have served as Snyder's mentor thus accelerating his football education.

That is why I am so glad that Allen and Shanahan are in the house. These cats know football.

This chat by Schefter is excellent news in my opinion. Personal opinion is that the Skins are WAY short of talent. We have needs at OL, WR, RB, DL / NG, LB, FS, P, K, Maybe CB, and most importantly QB.

This season Shanahan said he thought we were close. I disagree. This chat from Schefter indicates he now thinks we have major needs. Good. Let's drop the one player away philosophy. Even though we beat GB this season, compare our overall roster to theirs. It's not close. And by the way, they've had exactly ONE significant Free Agent signing over the last five years (Woodson). We're competing for the trophy against teams who have been doing it right for years (Pitt, NE, GB, etc).

I'd be willing to take a couple more rough seasons to beef up the roster the right way. I think most intelligent Skins fans would as well. Now we just need to convince Snyder, who doesn't seem like the most patient guy.

“But there aren’t a ton of players you look at on Redskins roster as building blocks…”.

Thank you Vinny.

I would also blame Snyder but he was a just a soggy bottomed kid still wet behind the ears. You couldn't expect him to build a team. Vinny took Snyder, the team and Redskins fans everywhere for a very long ride.

Would not be a stretch to say that firing Casserly was the first and worst of a long list of Snyder mistakes leading to the Redskins decline. Casserly could have served as Snyder's mentor thus accelerating his football education.

That is why I am so glad that Allen and Shanahan are in the house. These cats know football.

Very much agree about Casserly. He had us pointed the right direction. It still hurts that the 2000s weren't better (being a snap and hold away from the conference championship in 99, and then having three first rounders the next year). Cerrato is like the antidote for success or something.

Shanahan and Allen aren't impressing me too much so far, but hopefully our philosophies are better developed now and we're ready to populate them with the right players.

Very much agree about Casserly. He had us pointed the right direction. It still hurts that the 2000s weren't better (being a snap and hold away from the conference championship in 99, and then having three first rounders the next year). Cerrato is like the antidote for success or something.

Shanahan and Allen aren't impressing me too much so far, but hopefully our philosophies are better developed now and we're ready to populate them with the right players.

Casserly was awful. Our rosters in the 90's were terrible (Draft: Shuler, Westbrook, Andre Johnson, etc.; Free Agency: Rod Stephens, Stanly Richard, James Washington, etc.). He was awful in Houston too. Any coincidence they were 1-15 in his last season after FOUR years of building the roster? We played a cupcake schedule in '99. There's a reason noone else has hired him to a front office.

I thought Cerrato was better, but his 08 draft has not delivered and he made a ton of mistakes.

Neither one are NFL-grade. The McNabb botch job of a trade is one strike against Shanahan / Allen, but they need more time to determine an overall conclusion. They have to dig out of Cerrato's mess.

Casserly was awful. Our rosters in the 90's were terrible (Draft: Shuler, Westbrook, Andre Johnson, etc.; Free Agency: Rod Stephens, Stanly Richard, James Washington, etc.). He was awful in Houston too. Any coincidence they were 1-15 in his last season after FOUR years of building the roster? We played a cupcake schedule in '99. There's a reason noone else has hired him to a front office.

I thought Cerrato was better, but his 08 draft has not delivered and he made a ton of mistakes.

Neither one are NFL-grade. The McNabb botch job of a trade is one strike against Shanahan / Allen, but they need more time to determine an overall conclusion. They have to dig out of Cerrato's mess.

Casserly left Dan and Vinny a 10-6 playoff caliber team and two high 1st round draft picks( #'s 2 and 3). The Sporting News and USA Today named Casserly their 1999 NFL Executive of the Year. He also picked DE Mario Williams over Young for the Houston Texans. Casserly's remaining drafts for the Texans, (2003 through 2006), the Texans drafted five eventual Pro-Bowlers: Andre Johnson (WR, 2003), Jerome Mathis (KR, 2005), DeMeco Ryans (LB, 2006), Mario Williams (DE, 2006) and Owen Daniels (TE 2006). Ryans was also named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2006. Mario Williams, who many criticized for being the #1 overall pick in 2006 (behind rookie standouts Reggie Bush and Vince Young), made the Pro Bowl in the 2008 season.

Casserly has forgotten more football than Vinny will ever know.

Archived