Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Schefter Redskins Chat for 1/21/11

GenMgr

Wow... Here comes Cam

That's what you got out of this? Interesting.

The best/most interesting part to me was this:

Shanahan has been digging in on tape and the one thing I can say is, once there is a new CBA, there will be plenty of change in Washington. If they get the CBA done this off-season, that change will be for next season. If the CBA gets done late, it will be next season. But there aren't a ton of players you look at on the Redskins roster as building blocks. There are some, but not a lot. And I think the Redskins know this and will act on it -- in all areas.

I have a feeling that a lot of people on this board will be eating their words about Cam Newton not being worth the 10th pick sooner or later

Not really. He'll almost definitely be a top-ten pick. Top-15 at the worst.

We're saying he's not worth it FOR US.

Of course if he's drafted by us (*shudders*) many of us will find the positives and get psyched about it. Its just not necessary right now.

Wow... Here comes Cam

Yea, I didn't really get this from the chat but whatever if he's a mix of Ben and Freeman then I'm all in. We better really hope this CBA gets signed so we can get a crack at this FA class. I'd be happy to see a complete roster overhaul.

Of course if he's drafted by us (*shudders*) many of us will find the positives and get psyched about it. Its just not necessary right now.

I'm just saying, gut feeling, that theres about a 75% chance he's in BnG next season, for better or for worse. And I feel like its for the better, I think he has tremendous upside.

I have had my eye brow raised since TK alluded to us possibly drafting him last month. Ever since then it seems like Cam & Washington Redskins has been flying around.

Seriously, I think TK is Adam Schefter or somebody important. Its no way you just randomly guess this and a month later it starts being thrown around by professionals.

If we draft Cam, draft him some help PLEASE.

HAIL!

Any over/under as it pertains to percentage of likelihood.......that Adam Schefter's "scout" was Shanahan?

Doubtful, since he specifically said that the Redskins, and Shanahan, haven't watched much tape of Newton yet.

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 04:01 PM ----------

I have had my eye brow raised since TK alluded to us possibly drafting him last month. Ever since then it seems like Cam & Washington Redskins has been flying around.

Seriously, I think TK is Adam Schefter or somebody important. Its no way you just randomly guess this and a month later it starts being thrown around by professionals.

If we draft Cam, draft him some help PLEASE.

HAIL!

He could have a connection to the team and not be Adam Schefter. :ols: I'm pretty sure Adam Schefter doesn't have time to be a moderator on a message board. Although to be fair, I'm sure many of our mods don't really have time to be mods ;)

---------- Post added January-21st-2011 at 04:02 PM ----------

I'm just saying, gut feeling, that theres about a 75% chance he's in BnG next season, for better or for worse. And I feel like its for the better, I think he has tremendous upside.

What a high percentage. Why 75%? Its ridiculous to give ANY prospect that high a chance of being here next year...but especially when Schefter just said that we haven't watched much tape of Newton yet.

What a high percentage. Why 75%? Its ridiculous to give ANY prospect that high a chance of being here next year...but especially when Schefter just said that we haven't watched much tape of Newton yet.

I was using hyperbole, but I almost feel its inevitable. Just because they havent looked at tape yet, doesnt mean they aren't going to.

As unfair as this whole CBA thing is to the fans, it's becoming clear to me just how unfair it is to teams as well. ESPECIALLY teams trying to rebuild. There was the FA screw up last year, and now player for pick draft trades are out the window.

And at the end of the day, it's all because millionaire/billionaires can't agree on how much money each should have. Pretty ****ing sickening.

--Also, I don't know what the hell is wrong with me, but I'm starting to not hate the idea of Cam... I dunno..I kinda wanna see Rex in a full year, but Cam's just a freakish athlete. I don't think he'll have any problems hanging with the NFL guys. The question will be how much of a system guy he is, because he would HAVE to do what Shanny/Shanny Jr tell him to on the field.

I definitely agree with Schefter that we need a QB before thinking about competing for a championship. Although I'm not sure how some of you get that we're going to draft Cam Newton out of this. There was only one mention of him in the entire chat and people are already claiming that it's "inevitable" that he'll be a Redskin. Our fanbase is hilarious sometimes.

Don't understand why anyone would think Cam Newton isn't right for the Skins, especially "right now"? I understand if your opinion is that Cam Newton might not translate to an NFL QB, but if you believe Newton will have success at the next level, then the Redskins is a perfect situation for him.

First, you have Mike Shanahan, who for all his faults, has proven to work well with QBs, both young and old, both mobile and not. Second, Newton needs time to learn the NFL game and develop into more of a pocket passer, and the Redskins offer that. The Redskins do not need to patch up a hole here or there and be set to contend for championships. They need several years of good drafts and key FA acquisitions to build the team the right way for the long-term. Newton won't start right away, will have time grow as a QB, and the Skins can use the interim to surround him with good talent (especially OL to protect his neck).

I'm not sold on Cam Newton being worth the 10th pick at this time, but if Shanahan/Allen think so, Cam Newton would be the best player for a team like the Redskins, because we aren't on the cusp of winning anything. We have the time to develop a raw QB. It might not be fun to admit it, but thats the truth.

I definitely agree with Schefter that we need a QB before thinking about competing for a championship. Although I'm not sure how some of you get that we're going to draft Cam Newton out of this. There was only one mention of him in the entire chat and people are already claiming that it's "inevitable" that he'll be a Redskin. Our fanbase is hilarious sometimes.

There was this, that the OP forgot:

Marc (Malden, MA): Is it a foregone conclusion that the Redskins will draft Cam Newton?

Adam Schefter: Definitely not a foregone conclusion, Marc, especially considering that the Redskins have not studied extensive tape of Newton yet. Will the Redskins be looking to draft a quarterback at No. 10 if one is worthy? Absolutely. But if he's so worthy, don't you think Arizona at No. 5, San Francisco at No. 7 and Tennessee at No. 8 also would pick him first? Washington's in a tough spot and it's not a foregone conclusion it'll go for Newton at all.Anyway, thank you for all your questions and your time. Enjoy Championship Sunday. And remember Sunday NFL Countdown will be on at a new time Sunday, from 1 to 3 pm., leading up to the kickoff of the NFC Championship game. Please tune in and have a great weekend.Adam

But again, doesn't warrant all the talk you're referring to.

A delayed CBA would really hurt the Skins for next year.

I don't get it. We've never been Super Bowl bound in recent history when we've been able to go out there and sign whatever FA's we see and grab. Maybe being forced to build a team would be a good thing.

I like how that Joe guy asks Schefter what advice he'd give Shanahan, lol. And then Schefter goes ahead and acts as if he's an expert or something. Come on, those guys are nothing more than the posters here at ES, just speculators with a great big opinion on things that we don't really know much about. You think Schefter played football? Probably about as much as John Clayton, lol.

Don't understand why anyone would think Cam Newton isn't right for the Skins, especially "right now"?

You answered your own question:

I understand if your opinion is that Cam Newton might not translate to an NFL QB, but if you believe Newton will have success at the next level, then the Redskins is a perfect situation for him.

I had a feeling that we were going to make a deal with tenn dealing al for VY. It just makes too much sense...fisher wants al they want to get rid of young we need a qb and both teams messed up their leverage with the players. And shanny just got burned by vick who we had a chance to get and he turned things around. He may think under him vince van do the same thing, it will be cheap to get him and we will draft a future qb regardless, so if vince doesn't work out we don't lose much.

It makes too much sense not to happen and not to mention shannys boy toy schefter thru it out there. If the cba gets done I think this deal gets done. And we will have a boatload of new players so who knows what holes might be filled by draft time.

Archived