Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wore my Redskins shirt to work here in Baltimore.....I am sour grapes today.

Dub70s

And the Colt fans disappeared when the team had a downturn in the late '70's, early '80's. As the Oriole fans have the last decade plus.

Baltimore as a loyal sports town is a complete myth.

let me reiterate my point...

The actual Baltimorons stayed loyal with the Ravens,

the bandwagon fans out in Mo County and Frederick County all dropped their purple and black.

I keep telling these Raven's fans around here that thier time will come where they will be perennial SUCK. Alot of them don't understand, because its such a young franchise and have had success early. But, that cycle hits every franchise, even the best of them (NE, Indy, Philly, NYG, NYJ....etc). And truth be told, Ed Reed and Ray Ray won't be playing forever, so its closer than what they think.

Sadly, most teams - good teams - can get out of that cycle in a few years. Doesn't take 20+ years for everyone.

i wore my Skins jersey to work the Tuesday after the Brunell/Moss 2 TD miracle in Dallas on Monday Night Football. The first guy to see me, just gave me an odd look, then laughed. later he came back pissed (he didnt finish watching the game the night before, thought Dallas won) after some back and forth, the boss comes out, starts to give me crap and insist i remove it. i refused to do it, its my right to wear it.

it was a hellish day to say the least, but i refused to bow down to some stupid Dallas fans just cause they couldnt stand to see my colors. :D

lol that's cuz unfortunately you live in TX ;) but what job allows ya'll to come in with jerseys on?! win or lose, it's always dress pants, dress shirt/polo, and dress shoes :(

lol that's cuz unfortunately you live in TX ;) but what job allows ya'll to come in with jerseys on?! win or lose, it's always dress pants, dress shirt/polo, and dress shoes :(

my current job i couldn't do that, but back then i worked at a courier service that had no dress code whatsoever...so the only reason they could give for me to remove it was "they didnt like it"...which was not valid.

they kept saying "you HAVE to take it off" i just said...nope, i really dont :D

Ravens fans are annoying, but once you leave the Baltimore area and the constant inundation of their coverage, you'll see that they're really not bad. I grew up in Columbia, MD (twenty minutes south of Baltimore) and went to grad school a few blocks from the stadium. There are some that are a pain in the ass, but every fanbase has those. I would not put them in the same league as Cowboys, Eagles, or Raiders fans. They support their teams pretty hardcore, and fans of Baltimore teams are extremely loyal.

I mean, don't get me wrong, **** 'em all, but they have my respect as long as I don't have to talk to one of them.

Some of them are pretty cool. I will admit and you made the point earlier that the FO is one of the best, which i will agree to. I think what irritates me the most about Ravens fans is how quickly they are willing to jump ship when they even lose a game "Joe Flacco sucks! Fire Harbaugh!, fire Ozzy!"....but when they win, "**** the Deadskins!, the Ravens are the best!, No one can beat us!"....uggh! Don't get me wrong i love Baltimore, but **** the Ravens and thier fans!

---------- Post added January-14th-2011 at 12:49 PM ----------

Sadly, most teams - good teams - can get out of that cycle in a few years. Doesn't take 20+ years for everyone.

Agreed...:doh:

my current job i couldn't do that, but back then i worked at a courier service that had no dress code whatsoever...so the only reason they could give for me to remove it was "they didnt like it"...which was not valid.

they kept saying "you HAVE to take it off" i just said...nope, i really dont :D

man, I have never had a job that let us do that. when I was younger I worked in restaurants, so that was a no-no, and now gov't work you gotta look the part

Who picks purple for a football team??? C'mon!

seriously who does that?

Wasn't here in the seventies, but all teams suffer a drop in excitement when their teams are bad. Redskins fans are worse.

Baltimore fans are fiercely loyal and to say otherwise just shows that you live in southwest Ohio and don't deal with it on a current day-to-day basis.

The Colts were one of the dominant football franchises of all time.....50's, 60's and 70's. In '78 they were in the playoffs. They then went into a decline. The "fiercely loyal" Baltimore fans then abandoned the team and they played in half empty Memorial Stadium....blaming the owner. Which ultimately led to the move 5 years later.

And the only reason Baltimore still has a baseball team is because Edward Bennet Williams made the moves to get OPCY built and market to a potential Washington baseball-starved fanbase.

The Redskins have been, aside from the first Joe Gibbs era, one of the more mediocre football franchise of the last 50 years. The Redskin fans have actually remained, always have, fiercely loyal. There is no comparison between the two.

lived the last 10 years on Marylands Eastern Shore....and the 10 years prior Severna Park/Pasadena. coached High School football in Baltimore City for 2 years.....the 2nd/last Ratbird game I ever attended (was there with the HS I coached for QB Challenge) they played TB in 2002. less than 2 years after their fluke SB win.....half empty stadium. when the Ravens go into a decline....though they have great management....you'll see the same.

Skins have been called purple and gold (or yellow), too. They're incorrect, of course, but... y'know, it has happened.

Zorn called us the wrong colors, but that was Zorn. He was in the "nice but weird uncle" category.

Rooting for the Ravens to beat the Steelers this weekend. I can't stand all the bandwagon Steelers fans around here. I would love to see all those Steelers fan's go home unhappy Saturday night.

You wouldn't say that if you were working or living near Baltimore....I don't want either of them in the Super Bowl. But to kill the noise up here, have to hope for a Ravens Loss..... So tire of seeing purple at work.

The Colts were one of the dominant football franchises of all time.....50's, 60's and 70's. In '78 they were in the playoffs. They then went into a decline. The "fiercely loyal" Baltimore fans then abandoned the team and they played in half empty Memorial Stadium....blaming the owner. Which ultimately led to the move 5 years later.

And the only reason Baltimore still has a baseball team is because Edward Bennet Williams made the moves to get OPCY built and market to a potential Washington baseball-starved fanbase.

The Redskins have been, aside from the first Joe Gibbs era, one of the more mediocre football franchise of the last 50 years. The Redskin fans have actually remained, always have, fiercely loyal. There is no comparison between the two.

lived the last 10 years on Marylands Eastern Shore....and the 10 years prior Severna Park/Pasadena. coached High School football in Baltimore City for 2 years.....the 2nd/last Ratbird game I ever attended (was there with the HS I coached for QB Challenge) they played TB in 2002. less than 2 years after their fluke SB win.....half empty stadium. when the Ravens go into a decline....though they have great management....you'll see the same.

I don't know how fiercely loyal we are. Look at FedEx Field when we play the Steelers, Eagles, or Cowboys. You'd think that Heinz, Lincoln, or Toilet Bowl had moved to DC.

I don't know how fiercely loyal we are. Look at FedEx Field when we play the Steelers, Eagles, or Cowboys. You'd think that Heinz, Lincoln, or Toilet Bowl had moved to DC.

If FedEx had a 70K/average NFL stadium capacity....none of those situations occur. or if the Redskins weren't in a 20 year spiral. The fact that Redskin fans still fill cavernous FedEx demonstrates fierce loyalty.

Unlike Baltimore....one bad year....half empty stadium. Historically proven. Biggest fair-weather fans any side of LA.....football and baseball.

anyone saying how fiercely loyal baltimore fans are isnt old enough to remember the original colts last years in bmore. as a kid my step dad would take us to orioles games and all you saw everywhere was "go Skins". on cars, billboards, restaurants marquees etc...

you couldnt find a colts fan anywhere. now im sure there were diehards but the fanbase in general had given up and jumped ship to the Skins because we were winning. even moreso after the "midnight mayflower escape".

ironically i think this is why some raven fans despise the Skins. kind of like the kid who gets dumped so he tags the easiest next piece that comes along. only to ditch the chick with extreme prejudice when his girlfriend decides she wants to get back together.

we remind them of how easily their allegiances turned when things were rough.

I keep telling these Raven's fans around here that thier time will come where they will be perennial SUCK. Alot of them don't understand, because its such a young franchise and have had success early. But, that cycle hits every franchise, even the best of them (NE, Indy, Philly, NYG, NYJ....etc). And truth be told, Ed Reed and Ray Ray won't be playing forever, so its closer than what they think.

The Ravens were pretty lousy in the '90's, if that counts for anything.

We don't yet know what things will be like without Ray Lewis, but the team did win a SB without Ed Reed. It's the nature of the beast: next man up.

The Vikings.

I could tell you the story behind it, but I get the feeling that you probably don't care.

Some of them are pretty cool. I will admit and you made the point earlier that the FO is one of the best, which i will agree to. I think what irritates me the most about Ravens fans is how quickly they are willing to jump ship when they even lose a game "Joe Flacco sucks! Fire Harbaugh!, fire Ozzy!"....but when they win, "**** the Deadskins!, the Ravens are the best!, No one can beat us!"....uggh! Don't get me wrong i love Baltimore, but **** the Ravens and thier fans

Most fans don't really "jump ship" in the sense that they switch teams, but when things go wrong you want to point fingers and when things are going well the team is Superbowl bound. It probably happens to most teams. I frequent the Chargers website and it's not uncommon to have people start calling Philip Rivers a choker when things to go wrong and a HOF'er when it's going well. Last year Steeler fans were calling for the head of the OC, but this year it's all "SB number 7!"

Also you have to remember that now that Baltimore has been winning alot lately, they (like all good teams) have picked up bandwagon fans and that's just how they are.

That said, I can't absolve myself; I have my whipping boys too.

Skins have been called purple and gold (or yellow), too. They're incorrect, of course, but... y'know, it has happened.

Zorn called us the wrong colors, but that was Zorn. He was in the "nice but weird uncle" category.

Zorn is a color blind SOB. ;)

The Vikings.

I could tell you the story behind it, but I get the feeling that you probably don't care.

We can save that for another day..

You wouldn't say that if you were working or living near Baltimore....I don't want either of them in the Super Bowl. But to kill the noise up here, have to hope for a Ravens Loss..... So tire of seeing purple at work.

I hear you. Exact opposite in NOVA.There are tons of steelers fans around here. I can't stand them. I only know a couple of ravens fans and they don't bother me so I am rooting for them. Too bad the skins are stuck in the mud under the worst owner in sports.

I hear you. Exact opposite in NOVA.There are tons of steelers fans around here. I can't stand them. I only know a couple of ravens fans and they don't bother me so I am rooting for them. Too bad the skins are stuck in the mud under the worst owner in sports.

When did Al Davis become the majority owner of Washginton?

Eff that. I'm rooting for the Ravens today and I'm thinking of buying an Ed Reed jersey. I didn't believe in "second teams", but as of lately I've come to change my mind. I need something to keep me sane when my team just utterly sucks with no hope of getting better. I just appreciate the way the Ravens run their organization. They're like the anti-Redskins. And I just support those type of decisions.

Archived