Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Of the 2011 free agent class. Which one player would you want the redskins to take?

rumplestilskin

Tris posted this in the draft thread but he stated that if by June 1st there's no CBA then all the free agents becomes UFA's. I also think this will get done in March and the time required becomes 4 years like the players want

That's really interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks.

As you can tell, I don't read the draft thread much, it would be like a full time job in and of itself. I come to you guys who know more about it than me. That way I don't get told to stick to what I know. :D

I would take AJ Hawk. He's a tackling machine, could anchor the middle of our 3-4 for the next 5-6 years with Perry Riley, and fills a need on the cheap.

I actually read something recently that I did not know about A.J. Hawk. More-over, about his contract. Apparently the $10 million year he has on his contract next season was never supposed to be played. It was supposed to force the two sides to renegotiate his contract when it came. So contrary to what I had previously believed in him being cut, its possible they may be able to renegotiate him to a $4 mil or so a year contract. Of course with 4 starting quality/paid ILBs, something's gotta give, so it'll probably be him or Nick Barnett who's been dealing with a lot of injuries lately.

I actually read something recently that I did not know about A.J. Hawk. More-over, about his contract. Apparently the $10 million year he has on his contract next season was never supposed to be played. It was supposed to force the two sides to renegotiate his contract when it came. So contrary to what I had previously believed in him being cut, its possible they may be able to renegotiate him to a $4 mil or so a year contract. Of course with 4 starting quality/paid ILBs, something's gotta give, so it'll probably be him or Nick Barnett who's been dealing with a lot of injuries lately.

Damn. Way to **** in my froot loops PokerPacker...

Bro were so on the same page. Mind is a lil diff but here it is.

Woodley(If he hits the market) Mathias Kiwanuka(If Woodley doesn't)

Pail Soliai(A Bryant showed a flash so he can be a good backp to Soliai)

Davin Joesph

Ryan Kalil

David Harris(Need stability in the middle after we fix that line. He'd be great next to London.

Sidney Rice-Dream I don't think he will hit the market but if he does. I would give him pretty big money. Not Roddy White money but good money. His age is really appealling and he'd be great with armstrong and Moss in the slot.

Alan Branch- Not a big money guy. Just a big body who has played 3-4 and has good ability

That seems pretty realistic. I think Woodley has a better chance to be a FA than Rice tho. Steelers drafted Worilds for a reason and I know some steelers fans who think they might let Woodley walk because of his asking price.

I think Brown will be resigned. He's pretty solid but he did improve over the year. Another offseason will prob help him improve more

the thing is that Kalil i think will be much harder to obtain than Ryan Harris..

this is how i would do it..

Target these 3 right off the bat.

Ryan Kalil

Davin Joseph

Lamar Woodley

now say we get 2 of those 3 lets go with these 2 scenarios.

Scenario 1

Davin Joseph

Lamar Woodley

with this scenario we have a very strong chance at obtaining Ryan Harris, who i think is as good as Jamaal Brown now and hes only 25. He will also cost way less.

Scenario 2

Davin Joseph

Ryan Kalil

imo i would still go after Ryan Harris because well plain and simple hes younger, healthier, and cheaper than Brown. But now with us missing out on Woodley i would see if we can get someone like Matt Roth to go OLB. But with the money we most likely saved i would look into Sidney Rice or another WR.

now let me play out both scenarios with full signings.

Scenario 1

Davin Joseph

Lamar Woodley

Ryan Harris

Paul Soliai

that would be a very good FA class. depending on the size of these contracts and the money we have left over.. think about Richard Marshall 25 and cheaper than Los.

Scenario 2

Davin Joseph

Ryan Kalil

Ryan Harris

Paul Soliai

Richard Marshall maybe even Johnathan Joseph

with those 5 our team is on their way to becoming a force.. either way i believe our Oline will be set.

as far as for David Harris hes going to want to command a high salary in which i dont see him as a immediate need.. AJ Hawk would be much cheaper and someone i would love to put beside Fletcher.

wouldnt really make sense to me imo.. with them probably drafting Ayers that gives them what 5 LBs? AJ most likely would take a chance to start somewhere else first.

I was just talking with my brother (a big Packers fan) about that this morning. I really think the Packers will let go of Barnett rather than let Hawk go after all Barnett's injuries the last 3 years. I think Barnett can still play but if you have to choose, I'd go with youth and health. That's the biggest reason I wouldn't want the Skins to sign Barnett, but if they did, I wouldn't shed any tears, I'd just expect him to play about the same as Marcus Washington did when he was here.

They both have great talent, and since Hawk has been picking up his play the last couple years, I doubt they will miss Barnett much. As far as his play on the field goes.

Of topic, but I just wanted to ask you, I saw a mock the other day that had you guys selecting Ingram RB Alabama, what do you think they'll do, and would you be happy with him?

Just thought I would throw this out there:

"Until there is a new collective bargaining agreement -- which almost no one is expecting for months -- there will be no free agency. Teams will not be allowed to shop for new players, players will not be allowed to sign with new teams and any player movement will be shut down.

Until there is a new agreement, there will be no trades. Washington cannot trade Donovan McNabb or Albert Haynesworth; Denver cannot trade Kyle Orton; no trades of existing contracts will be permitted until a new agreement is signed -- whenever that is."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&page=10spot/10wildcard

Just thought I would throw this out there:

"Until there is a new collective bargaining agreement -- which almost no one is expecting for months -- there will be no free agency. Teams will not be allowed to shop for new players, players will not be allowed to sign with new teams and any player movement will be shut down.

Until there is a new agreement, there will be no trades. Washington cannot trade Donovan McNabb or Albert Haynesworth; Denver cannot trade Kyle Orton; no trades of existing contracts will be permitted until a new agreement is signed -- whenever that is."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&page=10spot/10wildcard

Would teams be able to sign draft picks?

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that?

Desperation. Neither the players nor the owners are stupid, they both know that football is the big moneymaker. I actually think Goodell was close on when he said it will be completed by the Super Bowl. An 11th hour deal, but it will get done.

No one player. I think this line of thinking is part of our problem.

We get the ONE player, the big name (Haynesworthless), for a lot of money.

Meantime other teams like the Giants get MANY players, for less money, (Michael Boley, Rocky Bernard, and Chris Canty)

This isn't a line of thinking, nor did I think that we should choose ONE player and thats it. The question is, of the free agent class what is the one player that you hope we sign that will make the biggest impact. Why put a spin on the thread so that you can sound rightous?

Why do you guys want to target so many "second-best" players? A lot of the names being thrown around here are admittedly younger guys, but I'd rather go after someone that's a year or two older but that has a few pro accolades to his name. When we went on a shopping spree in the 2006 off-season, we picked up a bunch of guys with a lot of potential who turned out to be total busts for us (i.e., Adam Archuleta, Brandon Lloyd, Antwaan Randle El, etc.).

I'm not saying we shouldn't go after these guys, but let's not get tunnel vision and assume that they're going to be the best available. I'd rather go after VJax than someone like James Jones. Furthermore, if Ngata becomes an UFA, then we should target him rather than Paul Soliai or Aubrayo Franklin. I say take only the cream of the crop in free agency and use the draft to fill those positions where the available UFAs aren't very proven; I'd rather gamble on a draftee than someone "with potential" who's been in the league and is now coming to Washington to sit on his butt for a Danny Boy contract.

Why do you guys want to target so many "second-best" players? A lot of the names being thrown around here are admittedly younger guys, but I'd rather go after someone that's a year or two older but that has a few pro accolades to his name. When we went on a shopping spree in the 2006 off-season, we picked up a bunch of guys with a lot of potential who turned out to be total busts for us (i.e., Adam Archuleta, Brandon Lloyd, Antwaan Randle El, etc.).

I'm not saying we shouldn't go after these guys, but let's not get tunnel vision and assume that they're going to be the best available. I'd rather go after VJax than someone like James Jones. Furthermore, if Ngata becomes an UFA, then we should target him rather than Paul Soliai or Aubrayo Franklin. I say take only the cream of the crop in free agency and use the draft to fill those positions where the available UFAs aren't very proven; I'd rather gamble on a draftee than someone "with potential" who's been in the league and is now coming to Washington to sit on his butt for a Danny Boy contract.

Problem is you would be soaking SO much money into those guys taking away from your other needs.. taking second tier guys to spread the talent around is imo the way to go..

Ngata will not i repeat will not leave Baltimore.. He loves it there and is the focal point of their defense no need to leave.

Vincent on the other hand is iffy i was for trading for him and signing him now im backing off Sidney Rice is someone i would sink money into he would come cheaper and is 24.. or i would just draft a WR since locker will take a little development.

also of the list i named i highly doubt that Davin Joseph,Ryan Kalil,Ryan Harris, Paul Soliai, Lamar Woodley are "second best guys" those are guys that can turn your franchise around coupled with great drafts.

I was just talking with my brother (a big Packers fan) about that this morning. I really think the Packers will let go of Barnett rather than let Hawk go after all Barnett's injuries the last 3 years. I think Barnett can still play but if you have to choose, I'd go with youth and health. That's the biggest reason I wouldn't want the Skins to sign Barnett, but if they did, I wouldn't shed any tears, I'd just expect him to play about the same as Marcus Washington did when he was here.

They both have great talent, and since Hawk has been picking up his play the last couple years, I doubt they will miss Barnett much. As far as his play on the field goes.

Yeah, I really think that could be the way things go. Hawk has especially picked up his play this year, I think, and hasn't been the liability in pass coverage he was last year. I have in the past advocated letting him go, but I think I'm pulling for him over Barnett now.

Of topic, but I just wanted to ask you, I saw a mock the other day that had you guys selecting Ingram RB Alabama, what do you think they'll do, and would you be happy with him?

I don't know much about Ingram (I'm assuming this is a first-round mock?) but I think we have positions of more dire need than RB. Remember that we never had a problem with our running game when we had Ryan Grant, so I figure get him healthy and get James Starks back in the swing of things and I think we'll be fine there. I'd prefer we look at a position we're starting to get old at or could use a bit more.

Charles Woodson is getting up there in age so I think we could use another CB in case neither Underwood or Lee step up into the nickel role when Woodson retires.

Another thought would be OLB. We've played quite a few guys opposite Clay Matthews with moderate success, but I don't know how much of that is a result of the system and playing along side folks like Matthews, Jenkins, and Raji. If we can get another true pass-rusher, we could be looking at one monster of a front-seven where you can't focus in too much on any one or even two players.

Also wouldn't mind bringing in an offensive lineman somewhere. Mark Tauscher may not be back from another knee injury and I'm not sure Chad Clifton can keep up his level of play at his age. Sure, we have a couple of tackles I'm confident can start in Bulaga and Lang, but always nice to have some security. Couldn't hurt to have more options on the inside as well.

Overall, I think CB should be our #1 priority simply because that's really the only position where we have an age issue without a youth solution necessarily in line. Shields, I think can be a capable #2 CB with more experience, but I'm worried about the oft-used nickel.

Oh ok. How old is he?

29 years old. Not young, but far from old.

wouldnt really make sense to me imo.. with them probably drafting Ayers that gives them what 5 LBs? AJ most likely would take a chance to start somewhere else first.

I've heard nothing about Ayers. Where have you heard we'll probably be drafting Ayers, and why would we draft him when we already have 4 ILBs we could field as starters?

My approach, don't go after big names. Only guy I'd go after is DeAngelo Williams but the price would have to be right.

RB Michael Bush (like his size if he gets a little quicker could be something.)

WR Jacoby Jones

WR Brian Finneran

LB LaMarr Woodley

S Charlie Peprah

No idea who they should get for both lines seeing as they run very specific systems.

Archived