Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Of the 2011 free agent class. Which one player would you want the redskins to take?

rumplestilskin

Didn't know that about Bishop, oh well.

You all may be right about Jones, but I don't know that they'll be willing to pay what he might want. They've got Jordy Nelson who's been just as good, and more sure handed, so they might let Jones walk.

As far as Weddle goes, there are a couple good FSs out there this off season that I'd be happy with.

going by what my boss says on Jones... hes a GB Packer Season Ticket Holder and follows them daily with his radio on Milwaukee radio stations all damn day. I had mentioned Jones cus I like him too but he said theres no chance in hell.

I did not know that Nicks (G) from NO was going to be a FA. Again, I think hell freezes over before they let one of the best Guards in the game get away but if we've got a shot, he is one helluva player. If we were to get someone like him or Joseph and pair that with a Guard/Center in the draft, that could be huge.

Condsidering New Orleans made Jahri Evans (their RG) one of the league's highest paid players at the position last year, I'd be shocked if they resigned Nicks. Having the highest paid Guard tandem in the league doesn't seem likely.

---------- Post added January-7th-2011 at 01:42 PM ----------

going by what my boss says on Jones... hes a GB Packer Season Ticket Holder and follows them daily with his radio on Milwaukee radio stations all damn day. I had mentioned Jones cus I like him too but he said theres no chance in hell.

Every Packer fan I've talked to has said the same thing, but I think it's because they don't want him gone, not because he won't be. He's played as well, and has better stats, than Driver this season, so unless they're going to start him next year, or give him an insane contract, he's gone, IMO.

I was in Green Bay for the Giants game and every receiver they have is awesome, so I don't think they'll be willing to cut the check he might want, especially with their depth at that position. They turn out QBs and WRs up there like Shanahan churned out RBs in his time in Denver.

Also, don't forget Green Bay is the smallest market team in the league, and they DO have a budget, whether there's a salary cap or not.

Condsidering New Orleans made Jahri Evans (their RG) one of the league's highest paid players at the position last year, I'd be shocked if they resigned Nicks. Having the highest paid Guard tandem in the league doesn't seem likely.

I'll definitely give you that. It seems even less likely when you consider their only other top FA is Bushrod who has also played very well. So to re-sign Nicks they would have to have invested big money in both guards and a tackle in the past couple years. They also have Roman Harper (S) and Darren Sharper scheduled to be FA but those aren't the biggest fish in the pond. I still would not be totally shocked if they made a pretty strong attempt to sign both Nicks and Bushrod though. I think they are smart enough to know when you have a guy like Brees, you need to do everything you can to give him a good O-line.

The way I'd do it we could get several. I'd go affordable and unspectacular...underrated.

Paul Soliai would be #1...whether I can get one or more. I think he has the most value on our team.

From there, I would grab Leroy Harris at G. He has been running the ZBS for Chris Johnson and excelling. He is more unheralded than Davin Joseph (I'd also be looking his way).

I would look at Tamba Hali and just avoid Woodley. Woodley plays in a system where there has never been a failure and never been a player to leave that played nearly as well elsewhere.

I would look at Sidney Rice and VJ in that order. I wouldn't break the bank and overpay for either.

David Baas, Malcolm Floyd, Tolbert, Vickers, Alan Branch Manny Lawson

As long as we are listing guys that will be on the cheap or are under the radar, I'd like to list a few guys that stick out to me. Some of them are higher on the list that others in terms of status but I like these guys and haven't seen them mentioned yet.

David Baas - he's a Guard/Center combo that has started all 16 games each of the last two seasons. He's a little long in the tooth (29) for most of our liking but he's only had 6 seasons so the wear and tear is not too high. He's a guy I really liked coming out of college and for those of you that have been hoping for a bigger Center that doesn't get pushed around, he's listed at 6'4" and 330 lbs. I admit I have not seen him play much but he intrigued me coming out of college and has started 50+ games and is a bigger guy. Not sure if he would fit in Shanny's ZBS though.

Malcolm Floyd - probably the most high profile of the guys I'm listing but I think the Chargers pick between him and Jackson. Again, he's 29 but he's only played 5 seasons and is a talented guy that could be considered.

Mike Tolbert - As said in the article, I'm sure the Chargers will sign him to a contract but I really liked what I saw from Tolbert this year, and yes I did see quite a bit of him. He's a bruiser in goal-line situations but is a solid all-around back as well. He's small but packs a lot of weight on his frame and is only 25.

Lawrence Vickers - he's one helluva fullback. I'm not sure if he's really necessary for our offense but he's a great blocker and he's only 27.

Alan Branch - I'll admit, I know almost nothing about the way he's played since being drafted by Arizona but I definitely wanted him when he came out of college. He's underperforming to be sure considering he's a first rounder and still is not a starter but he's been playing the 3-4 his whole career and definitely has the size at 6-6 340. He's only 26 and I have to believe he's got plenty of talent for the cheap price he'd come for. He does get plenty of playing time and has posted 2 sacks each of the past two years - a good, young rotational guy with experience who still has upside.

Manny Lawson - this is a guy I've always been really impressed with. I cannot believe he's not listed in bold in the article as I've thought he was always a great linebacker. Plays in a 3-4 and imo is a good pass-rusher who can also cover well. Suffered a bit of a hit on his career a couple years ago with a freak ACL tear in camp but is a very talented player that I would love to have.

All of these guys are possibilities but not necessarily people I'd be disappointed if we didn't go after, just thought I would put their names out there. Plus, picking up some of these guys definitely changes the way you look at the draft.

My "dream" FA is definitely Ngata. He's probably the most dominant NT in the game and only 26. I guarantee he would single-handedly raise our D 10 spots in the rankings, if not much more.

My more realistic FA wish is Deangelo Williams. A RB corps of him, Torain, and Keiland would be great IMO, putting a lot less pressure on our QB and protecting leads.

100% agree with Destructis. If there's only one, then it has to be a center and Ryan Kalil is that guy. But some others also whet the appetite. If Jamaal Brown goes, Tyson Clabo of Atlanta is a stellar pick. If we can't get Logan Mankins form New England (which also hurts NE) then Davin Joseph is good, but Harvey Dahl teamed with Clabo would be excellent. Add in a Vincent Jackson or a Sidney Rice to complement Moss and next year's offense is set no matter who the QB is.

Sigh. I just think of all the money wasted on the Sta-Puf Haynesworthless guy and wonder what could have been if they had spent that money on upgrading the OLine. Unfortunately, most teams know the value of a good offensive line and it's going to be tough to get any of those I mentioned. But here's hoping.

Of all the players on that list you pick an OT who is an injury risk with a questionable work ethic and a 4-3 DE? Whatever you do for a living don't give it up to be a GM.

It seems like a lot of people have picked the "big names". Same goes for Champ Bailey, the guy is 32, his best days are behind him.

---------- Post added January-7th-2011 at 04:53 PM ----------

For me its Davin Joseph he'll be one great upgrade at RG and would do wonders for rebuilding up our OL. Add him and Ryan Harris on the right side and you have the makings of a young dominant OL.

I like both of those picks. I didn't realize how many good guards and tackles are on the market this off season. I'd actually have to say, I'd prefer these two over Nicks (possible cost) and Brown (injury history). Both of those guys are young and should be priced well enough to stick around for their entire contracts.

in order to get all of the FAs that im about to list we will need to cut/trade McNabb,Albert,Dockery,Rabach, and anyone with huge base salary contracts.. Right now i believe we are at 33 mill.

now for my unrealistic balls to the wall list.

Lamar Woodley (I believe i read somewhere that our LB coach was his coach, am i right?) 26yearsold

Paul Soliai NT 26yearsold

Davin Joseph (Direct Link to Bruce Allen, Drafted by him) 27yearsold

Ryan Harris (Direct Link to Mike Shanahan, Drafted by him) 25yearsold

Sidney Rice (off injury his price should be lowered) 24yearsold

Richard Marshall CB 25yearsold

now for my Realistic List

Paul Soliai

Davin Joseph

Ryan Harris

50/50 on Lamar Woodley

.......From there, I would grab Leroy Harris at G. He has been running the ZBS for Chris Johnson and excelling. He is more unheralded than Davin Joseph (I'd also be looking his way).

I would look at Tamba Hali and just avoid Woodley. Woodley plays in a system where there has never been a failure and never been a player to leave that played nearly as well elsewhere.

I would look at Sidney Rice and VJ in that order. I wouldn't break the bank and overpay for either.

I like all those too. Tamba Hali would be perfect to put across from Orakpo.

I like Rice too, but not as much as Jones, and I still think VJ would be an enormous difference maker, but I doubt he'll be available.

I want to pick one on offense and one on defense:

Defense- Paul Soliai. We need a NT. Woodley will be signed here.

Offense- Carl Nicks. We need a RG. I'd try to get Davin Joseph, but he's been injured so much. If we could get both, great, but if we can't, draft Rodney Hudson in the 2nd.

Besides QB, our big needs are interior OL, WR, NT, and OLB. If we use our 1st round pick on a QB and our 2nd round pick on one of those spots, we'll still need 2 more starters. So, I'll ignore the OP's rules and say we go after Soliai and Kalil. With our 2nd round pick, we'll be looking at Jonathon Baldwin or Torrey Smith. Hopefully, we'll get Arizona's pick in the 3rd round for McNabb. There, we should look to land Dontay Moch.

I want to pick one on offense and one on defense:

Defense- Paul Soliai. We need a NT. Woodley will be signed here.

Offense- Carl Nicks. We need a RG. I'd try to get Davin Joseph, but he's been injured so much. If we could get both, great, but if we can't, draft Rodney Hudson in the 2nd.

I wouldn't worry too much about Joseph with the injuries and I worry that Nicks wouldn't be a good ZBS fit here with his size but your dead on with Soliai he'd be a great NT fit for us and if we can't get him then look at Chris Hoke out of Pittsburgh.

I hate to break it to you guys, but the ravens are not going to let Ngata go.

If accrued years go down to 4 for unrestricted free agents (like they do in all non-final league years) and if there's no franchise tag, I can easily see the Redskins going after and getting Ngata. Chances of these two things happening though are slim to none.

I'm just enjoying reading everyone's thoughts, don't know enough about this FA class, other than it will be large ... and you know we will be "playa's in it". HAIL.

Here is the link of all the FA'S. http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

It is loaded with talent. Bruce and Mike are going to have to keep Danny in a straight Jacket.

Archived