Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Of the 2011 free agent class. Which one player would you want the redskins to take?

rumplestilskin

I would take AJ Hawk. He's a tackling machine, could anchor the middle of our 3-4 for the next 5-6 years with Perry Riley, and fills a need on the cheap.

There are other guys out there and I can't believe you're not getting my messages! :mad:

If I had to have one guy, it would probably be Kalil. As a whole, though, I hope we address the defensive side with some front 7 players that have had experienlce in the 3-4. In terms of our secondary, we could do a lot worse. Teams with 3-4 defenses - the Jets being an exception - usually tend to have just okay corners but make up for it with damn good pass rushers. I think we stand pat with our DBs because the page is right - we could do one hell of a lot worse than Hall/Rogers and Landry. I would be very happy if we could grab LaMarr Woodley, although there's probably no chance in hell of that happening.

If the Chargers let Legedu Naanee walk (which pretty much depends on whether they keep Vincent Jackson), he'd be a good option. He's big (6'2", 220+) a tremendous blocker for a wide receiver (and would therefore be a huge asset to a ST unit as well), and he would be cheaper and hungrier than Jackson, as a legitimately talented guy that just had a hard time cracking the lineup in San Diego.

But if there's a new CBA would they still be RFAs?

:whoknows:

I think it looks like Rice wouldn't have enough years to qualify as an UFA under the below hypothesis.

http://www.nfltraderumors.co/2011-nfl-free-agents/

Note:

With the collective bargaining agreement expiring last year, the amount of year that were required for players to become unrestricted free agents increased to 6 years. Depending on whether or not the NFL and players union are able to come to an agreement before there is a lock, there is a good chance that the number of years required for a player to become an unrestricted free agent will likely be reset to either 4 or 5 years......

Nnamdi Asomugha

No thanks. This is just my personal opinion, but elite CBs are the most overrated position in the NFL. It is a nice bonus to add to a Super Bowl contender, but its not an essential building block IMO.

I would rather use our money on a half dozen other positions first. We can pick up or draft an elite CB in 2 years when we are fully rebuilt and contending (hopefully . . .).

:whoknows:

I think it looks like Rice wouldn't have enough years to qualify as an UFA under the below hypothesis.

http://www.nfltraderumors.co/2011-nfl-free-agents/

Note:

With the collective bargaining agreement expiring last year, the amount of year that were required for players to become unrestricted free agents increased to 6 years. Depending on whether or not the NFL and players union are able to come to an agreement before there is a lock, there is a good chance that the number of years required for a player to become an unrestricted free agent will likely be reset to either 4 or 5 years......

Most of the people in this thread won't qualify because of the 6 year rule, unless a new CBA is done. I think most of us are betting/hoping for that to get done, because without a new CBA, FA will look a lot like it did last season and it will be very hard for us to fill our holes.

Most of the people in this thread won't qualify because of the 6 year rule, unless a new CBA is done. I think most of us are betting/hoping for that to get done, because without a new CBA, FA will look a lot like it did last season and it will be very hard for us to fill our holes.

Tris posted this in the draft thread but he stated that if by June 1st there's no CBA then all the free agents becomes UFA's. I also think this will get done in March and the time required becomes 4 years like the players want

Personally, I'd rather us just sign some essential pieces like the Jets do instead of going for the big splash. It works other places, but here, it just seems like every time we sign a big-name FA, they don't produce as expected or injuries rear their ugly head where they haven't before. I really like Sidney Rice, but I don't think the Vikings are going to let him go - especially seeing as he's by far the biggest receiver they have (Harvin, Berrian, Camarillo are all 5'10-5'11) and his absence was really noticeable in the first half of last season.

Personally, I'd rather us just sign some essential pieces like the Jets do instead of going for the big splash. It works other places, but here, it just seems like every time we sign a big-name FA, they don't produce as expected or injuries rear their ugly head where they haven't before. I really like Sidney Rice, but I don't think the Vikings are going to let him go - especially seeing as he's by far the biggest receiver they have (Harvin, Berrian, Camarillo are all 5'10-5'11) and his absence was really noticeable in the first half of last season.

What would you call LT, Cromartie, et al?

that is not a good way to go into FA scared to sign anyone..man up.

If for Some reason Gnata does not get signed by Baltimore than this becomes our priority IMO. It would be a splashy signing but I have full faith he would not pull a Dana stubblefield or Fat Al. He will not be a bust because it is easy to see the fire that this guy plays with. He flat out loves the game a dominates. At age 26 we would have our centerpiece to the 3-4 for years to come.

No one player. I think this line of thinking is part of our problem.

We get the ONE player, the big name (Haynesworthless), for a lot of money.

Meantime other teams like the Giants get MANY players, for less money, (Michael Boley, Rocky Bernard, and Chris Canty)

Our signing hurts us. Theirs helps them.

If for Some reason Gnata does not get signed by Baltimore than this becomes our priority IMO. It would be a splashy signing but I have full faith he would not pull a Dana stubblefield or Fat Al. He will not be a bust because it is easy to see the fire that this guy plays with. He flat out loves the game a dominates. At age 26 we would have our centerpiece to the 3-4 for years to come.

Agreed...but just for clarification, Ngata plays (or can play) the five-technique (as opposed to the 0)in the Okie (base 3-4) defense - even more impressive given his size. The true NT for Baltimore is the 6'0", 310 Kelly Gregg. I wouldn't mind seeing Ngata next to Anthony Bryant, though. God, talk about a wall of meat...which is exactly what we would need to feed both of them. :hungry:

No one player. I think this line of thinking is part of our problem.

We get the ONE player, the big name (Haynesworthless), for a lot of money.

Meantime other teams like the Giants get MANY players, for less money, (Michael Boley, Rocky Bernard, and Chris Canty)

Our signing hurts us. Theirs helps them.

Agree 100%! I want a FA class like we did in 2004. Springs, Griffin, Marcus, Portis, etc. We need a lot of players. Not a lot of stars.

I wouldn't mind that draft either. We got Taylor and Cooley.

Lamar Woodley (I believe i read somewhere that our LB coach was his coach, am i right?) 26yearsold

Paul Soliai NT 26yearsold

Davin Joseph (Direct Link to Bruce Allen, Drafted by him) 27yearsold

Ryan Harris (Direct Link to Mike Shanahan, Drafted by him) 25yearsold

Sidney Rice (off injury his price should be lowered) 24yearsold

Richard Marshall CB 25yearsold

Bro were so on the same page. Mind is a lil diff but here it is.

Woodley(If he hits the market) Mathias Kiwanuka(If Woodley doesn't)

Pail Soliai(A Bryant showed a flash so he can be a good backp to Soliai)

Davin Joesph

Ryan Kalil

David Harris(Need stability in the middle after we fix that line. He'd be great next to London.

Sidney Rice-Dream I don't think he will hit the market but if he does. I would give him pretty big money. Not Roddy White money but good money. His age is really appealling and he'd be great with armstrong and Moss in the slot.

Alan Branch- Not a big money guy. Just a big body who has played 3-4 and has good ability

That seems pretty realistic. I think Woodley has a better chance to be a FA than Rice tho. Steelers drafted Worilds for a reason and I know some steelers fans who think they might let Woodley walk because of his asking price.

I think Brown will be resigned. He's pretty solid but he did improve over the year. Another offseason will prob help him improve more

Archived