Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should replace Hasslet???

flock53

^^^^ Yeah, Im tired of talking sense to some that dont have any:notworthy . Regardless of those 2 + Hall, how do we rank near the bottom???? Perhaps coaching :doh:

New system :doh:

Wrong players :doh:

Year 1 :doh:

Seriously though you should check out NFL.com and watch how the season unfolded in year 1 of the SHAN.

---------- Post added December-29th-2010 at 03:47 PM ----------

Yeah, like IF only some of our fans started to realize just how much the labor problem has affected the rebuilding process, then we wouldn't have a board all cluttered up with dumbass posts that only acknowledge half an issue when trying to sound smart.

IF only...

~Bang

Bang, I used to read your posts and calm down when things got crazy here. You just sound mad now.

anyways.. Kep Has he needs more time.

Frankly, I getting very bored with this unquestioning Shanny love

Ok, than let's fire Shanny and bring in our 15th coach in the last 7 years.....

I mean what do you want?

The guy has won the big game, and is a proven coaching commodity.

It is his first year on a 5 yr contract, and the team did not have a whole heck of a lot of talent to begin with.

I do question some of his major decisions like going with the 3-4 and letting the AH issue fester for as long as it did (i can forgive brining in DMac, cause if he had recaptured any of his old spark, we would be playoff bound right now, it was a marginally risky decision)

But I have never won the SB so, am willing to let him build as he sees fit (although, if Jarmon does not get more playing time, I am going to pitch a fit!!!)

i dont know if I'm sold on Haslett or not, but I give him a pass for the wrong guys for the wrong system. I'm of the thinking that it's like a band-aid.. you have to just rip it quick and do it.

There's TOO much turnover in football to try and build players for a system you're not currently running, by the time you decide to make the switch you've lost a percentage of them for various reasons.

So, I agree with how they're doing it. Just do it, see who can play in it, and then build from there with players that are more geared to the 3-4.

In the NFL you can only plan ahead so much... unless you're Philly, Pittsburgh, NE,... teams that carry a consistent philosophy for years and years.

We simply have too much coaching turnover to do this. Even though we'd like to see Shanahan stay here for years to come, the owner has proven to be a quick trigger, fans are impossible to please, and a hostile media helps keep the revolving door kicked open.

So to do it, just do it. Then slow the rate of player turnover with a consistent philosophy, and then we can do what they do, and that is target guys that they know will fit what they do.

~Bang

Ok, than let's fire Shanny and bring in our 15th coach in the last 7 years.....

I mean what do you want?

I want him to go back to the 4-3. Handle players properly. And offensively we really are in a bind because I don't think kyle is who we thought he was but how on earth is Shanny Snr gonna fire Shanny Jnr. We are screwed and why is Allen so quiet on all this - he's the GM and we don't hear a peep about the handling of personnel (which has sucked donkey balls) or the changing of systems (either defense or even tweaking it for McNabb).

And just so no one accuses me of hijacking the thread, Haslet makes Blache look like a genius and all I ever hear is Shanny said, so it's all gonna be alright. This team is worse

Frankly, I getting very bored with this unquestioning Shanny love

Well, you couldn't argue that you know more than he does.

I don't think Haslett has done anything that makes him the obvious choice to replace like many people assume.

And offensively we really are in a bind because I don't think kyle is who we thought he was but how on earth is Shanny Snr gonna fire Shanny Jnr.

I don't know. Just comparing what we have now to last year, I think the offensive scheme has shown a hell of a lot more potential even with the worse personnel.

I want him to go back to the 4-3. Handle players properly. And offensively we really are in a bind because I don't think kyle is who we thought he was but how on earth is Shanny Snr gonna fire Shanny Jnr. We are screwed and why is Allen so quiet on all this - he's the GM and we don't hear a peep about the handling of personnel (which has sucked donkey balls) or the changing of systems (either defense or even tweaking it for McNabb).

And just so no one accuses me of hijacking the thread, Haslet makes Blache look like a genius and all I ever hear is Shanny said, so it's all gonna be alright. This team is worse

well, the team's not worse, and the reasons for it are so numerous that there's a whole board's worth of them just beneath your fingertips. It's up to you to find out what they are if they're not already obvious.

What it sounds like to me is that you think you know better.

Can i see your NFL credentials?

How about just football credentials of any sort?

I know what Shanahan's are. So if it came down to listening to him or you when it comes to which way the team should go, I think it's pretty obvious who I'll side with.

He's made his mistakes, sure. But the problem i have is most of his critics that think they know better.. don't.

~Bang

well, the team's not worse, and the reasons for it are so numerous that there's a whole board's worth of them just beneath your fingertips. It's up to you to find out what they are if they're not already obvious.

Can i see your NFL credentials?

How about just football credentials of any sort?

~Bang

ad hominem

I didn't realise I needed you to view my resume to allow me posting rights

Im a fan and allowed to have an opinion and respond to the questions, but if you must know, at high school I played all the front 7 spots on defense and all O line except Center and at college played left OT.

I don't think I've said anything that can't be considered a valid opinion

The defense is worse and anyone with eyes can see that. You don't need NFL credentials to see that the worst defense is the NFL isn't better than last season.

As for the handling of personnel it's not hard to see the problem. When you want to sell ANYTHING you don't trash it in front of potential buyers. If you're selling a house for instance you don't tell the nice folks at the open house that the windows are an odd size that will cost a fortune to upgrade and that the hardwood under the rugs is stained so badly it will need to be replaced. You tell them it's a great house at a great price and hope they buy it. Telling the world that Haynesworth is out of shape and worthless is a great way to get nothing for him. Telling the world that McNabb is out of shape and can't learn the offense (which implies that Reid made him what he is) ensures that you don't get value back for him and most likely end up releasing him.

The wizards couldn't get rid of Gilbert Arenas fast enough! You know that the management there wasn't a fan of the gun toting injury plagued player with a max deal.... but they told the world he was great and they loved him. They showed the world he could play shooting guard. The Magic made the trade and took a year off of the Wizards cap hell. That's how you get rid of unwanted players.

People fall in love with a romanticized version of football where the coach is the "general" that doesn't take any lip. His way or the highway. It's a bunch of bull**** that people like to believe because it sounds cool. Gibbs crafted his systems to fit his players strengths to the tune of 3 superbowls. He won with less talent then everyone else by putting his players in the best position to win. In his second term he was a nightmare as a GM but he took a bad team to the playoffs twice by doing the same thing. I think coaches buy into the nonsense as well which is why superbowl winning head coaches NEVER duplicate their success with another franchise. They apply the formula that worked in an entirely different environment with entirely different personnel and are shocked to see a different result.

Well, you couldn't argue that you know more than he does.

I don't think Haslett has done anything that makes him the obvious choice to replace like many people assume.

I don't know. Just comparing what we have now to last year, I think the offensive scheme has shown a hell of a lot more potential even with the worse personnel.

Well, considering we got rid of THE problem with the offense from last year; I don't want to mention any names, but there is a soup named after him, and a left-handed, pillow-throwing, gosh darnit beaver-headed coach gone as well, ANYTHING would have been an improvement!

Honestly, what has Haslett done to merit him staying? He failed in St.Louis where he was head coach, I am sure he could have had his input on the defense, but he hasn't accomplished anything to merit being DC.

You all want Haslett another 3 years minimum, because thats how long it will take until the right players, the right scheme, and have a chance to solidify as a 3-4 defense, and this is just to get the right group in, no guarantee of whether it will be a good defense or not, and I don't think Danny or the fans have that much patience, more less BELIEF that Haslett will be the man for the job...

The defense is worse and anyone with eyes can see that. You don't need NFL credentials to see that the worst defense is the NFL isn't better than last season.

As for the handling of personnel it's not hard to see the problem. When you want to sell ANYTHING you don't trash it in front of potential buyers. If you're selling a house for instance you don't tell the nice folks at the open house that the windows are an odd size that will cost a fortune to upgrade and that the hardwood under the rugs is stained so badly it will need to be replaced. You tell them it's a great house at a great price and hope they buy it. Telling the world that Haynesworth is out of shape and worthless is a great way to get nothing for him. Telling the world that McNabb is out of shape and can't learn the offense (which implies that Reid made him what he is) ensures that you don't get value back for him and most likely end up releasing him.

The wizards couldn't get rid of Gilbert Arenas fast enough! You know that the management there wasn't a fan of the gun toting injury plagued player with a max deal.... but they told the world he was great and they loved him. They showed the world he could play shooting guard. The Magic made the trade and took a year off of the Wizards cap hell. That's how you get rid of unwanted players.

I can't disagree with anything you've said, but I will say that this defense and last year's defense, while statistically a mile apart, results didn't look too different to me.

(For a non-scientific reasoning.. in last year and this year I never once felt like a team could not march right down and score when they needed to. These defenses.. neither of them inspired confidence in me like some of our defenses in the past.) At least this year we created turnovers. I like that.

I prefer to think of the defense in transition.

~Bang

One of ES member Shanahanigan's main problems with the Bronco's defense over the years with Shanahan (he's a Bronco's fan) was that he switched coordinators so often.

I'm not a big Haslett fan, but I think you have to give him at least two years.

I agree with you slightly on the 3-4 vs. 4-3 issues, but I don't care which one he decides to go with, just STICK WITH IT and bring in the personell to run it successfully. (And I would have Jarmon and Orakpo with their fingers in teh dirt every single play regardless)

HOWEVER, Kyle had an off year. His O's have been fantastic and everyone was raving at what he brought to the table coming from Houston.

Look at the OLINE that he/anyone had to work with coming into this year. Flipping atrocious. I am willing to give the boy-wonder a long lease, especially since it is obvious that McNab did not work out as expected.

Yeah, Shanny coiuld handle players better, but that's part of the package. Kind of like you get a great d-minded coach but a foul mouth when Rex Ryan is running plays.

I would have liked to see us keep JC vs. bring in McNab at this point, but hidsight is 20-20.

Quite frankly I will put up with the 3-4 growing pains, and personell yanking around, as long as it doesn't stay medium.....

Gotta give Ego the benefit of the doubt but got damn he made some critical mistakes in his first year here. The worst part about his mistakes is all of them were avoidable lol.

Vinny was a dumb ass and couldn't help himself when habitually doing retarded ****.. Danny had allot of money (No football intellectualness or experience like much of this website) bought his favorite the team and ran it like Madden.

Shanny only took one year off but made some really silly decisions in year 1. Hopefully all the rust is going baby. 2011 here we come.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. There are potentially some prime defensive coordinators that are going to be out there, all of them with a better resume than Haslett. I know I would feel more confident with Mike ZImmer or Wade Phillips heading the defense.

In the end, I think Shanny sticks with Haslett. He would face less scrutiny for sure.

Rumors have Wade landing in Houston to be paired with Kubiak. That said, he's be my first choice as DC here. As bad of a HC as Wade is, he's that good of a DC. Some guys are meant to be coordinators, not coaches and Wade falls into that category. If not Phillips, here's a very interesting name to throw out: Eric Mangini. Why Mangini? Because he's probably gonna get fired, he runs a 3-4 that Shanny seems to prefer, and he comes from the Belichick tree, and there is no coach in the league Shanny respects more than Belichick.

I cannot STAND Jim Haslett.

He knows he put guys in positions to fail. He knows they aren't 3-4 guys and he doesn't care because they'll be out anyway.

Yet, still, on the sideline I've never seen one shot of him where he's not shaking his head or looking pissed off. What do you want, dude? You made this defense, stop scowling at Andre Carter because he didn't catch that guy in the flat. That's not what he does.

On top of that, he simply tanked this defense to dead last in the league, and I don't know what else it takes to get fired. I really think he'll be gone. He doesn't seem to know what in the hell he is doing. He looks so confused, all the time. Like Zorn last year.

And offensively we really are in a bind because I don't think kyle is who we thought he was but how on earth is Shanny Snr gonna fire Shanny Jnr. We are screwed and why is Allen so quiet on all this - he's the GM and we don't hear a peep about the handling of personnel (which has sucked donkey balls) or the changing of systems (either defense or even tweaking it for McNabb).

Our offense has shown a hell of a lot more explosion than last year, with worse personnel. With another year in the system we will really see our offense take off. These last few games we've seen stuff we haven't seen in two years: completing drives in the red zone, getting touchdowns, varied looks and some real aggressiveness in our offense. The McNabb experiment looks to have been a failure, but look how our offense, when a quarterback who knows how it's supposed to be run, is under center. We get two of the most complete offensive performances of the year. We don't need to tweak it to McNabb.

Explain to me how 6-10 or 7-9 is worse than 4-12? The only thing we're worse in is yards allowed. We're getting sacks and turnovers. Blache ran one of the most plain defenses ever. We hardly had any well-conceived blitz schemes, sat back in coverage, and let teams trample over us. Everyone knew what we were doing, and we couldn't stop them. Give the D another year, and it'll take off, too. Key players will have experience in it and be able to coach up the new guys, and our D can really take off.

Everything is not his fault. Danny traded a 2nd round pick we could have used to get another 3-4 LB (Washington/Lee/Spikes) or a true NT in T.Cody. If Cody was picked maybe (big maybe) AH drama doesnt unfold as maybe hed be happier as a full time DE, he could dominate from there ala Seymore. ANYWAYS, Hasslet has had limited exposure running the 3-4 and was a SHOCK that we were switching. Some options at DC are Wade Phillips, Mike Singletary and Tony Sparano (if released as expected). I would like Sparano, Mike and Wade in that order. Either way, Hasslet has to go.

I would just like to point out that Tony Sparano knows nothing about defense.

He played center in college at New Haven and he's spent his entire coaching career either coaching TEs, o-line, or acting as an OC.

And he's your #1 pick for a new DC here?

So crazy, it just might work...

People fall in love with a romanticized version of football where the coach is the "general" that doesn't take any lip. His way or the highway. It's a bunch of bull**** that people like to believe because it sounds cool. Gibbs crafted his systems to fit his players strengths to the tune of 3 superbowls. He won with less talent then everyone else by putting his players in the best position to win. In his second term he was a nightmare as a GM but he took a bad team to the playoffs twice by doing the same thing. I think coaches buy into the nonsense as well which is why superbowl winning head coaches NEVER duplicate their success with another franchise. They apply the formula that worked in an entirely different environment with entirely different personnel and are shocked to see a different result.

Good post. I pretty much agree with everything. IMO the D was worse because Haslett forced the overhaul of the D before he had the pieces to do so, as many others have said as well. The square peg in the round hole issue that has plagued this franchise too often in recent times.

Also, I don't understand why the Skins have a tendency to devalue big name players who they no longer want to keep by attacking their character in the media. It is stupid on many levels. It seems to me they would rather kill whatever possible value a player may still have just to try and save face on failed FO acquisitions rather than trying to maximize and salvage whatever value they can get in return for the player and just move on and admit it didn't work out.

ad hominem

I didn't realise I needed you to view my resume to allow me posting rights

Im a fan and allowed to have an opinion and respond to the questions, but if you must know, at high school I played all the front 7 spots on defense and all O line except Center and at college played left OT.

I don't think I've said anything that can't be considered a valid opinion

Ad hominem my ass. You said that you were sick of the blind Shanahan love.

You then said you wanted to go back to a 4-3.

So, I wanted to see what your credentials were to trust what you have to say over what he has to say, since you told us all how sick you were of the blind trust given to Shanahan.

Perhaps I could have made my point better, but the fact is, if you're sick of other people's opinions to the point where you'd insult it by calling it blind, well, maybe you could understand why someone might think that opinion is full of **** and take issue with it.

I don't care if you post or not, I'm not telling you that you have to show me or anyone a resumé to post.

But if you're going to say things i disagree with, I may take you up on it. And if you say things that I think are relatively ignorant, I may call you on that too.

I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid.

I'm saying there's a reason people trust Shanahan, and you've made it clear that their opinion is something you're sick of.

:jerk:

To return to the topic.. what about Todd Bowles? There's good buzz around the league about him, he's due to be bumped up, the Broncos are going to interview him for head coach.. He's learned under Bill Parcells, and that is never a bad thing. He's been in Miami running their secondary, the Dolphins D is 3rd overall and 7th vs the pass.

And,, he's one of our Hailed Redskins!

~Bang

I'm interested to see what he's capable of given the right pieces. Call it Shanny's terror or whatever you want. All I know is Sunday I saw essentially 11 undraftees,3rd string backups,and practice squad guys go out there and arguably put up the best full 4qtrs of football all season. Rob Jackson was by far and away the most impressive fill-in to me. Yes, Barnes sealed the deal but Jackson's pressure was consistent throughout the game. The only thing that still puzzles me is why Riley can't get on the field. We saw him shine in limited play vs dallass. I thought he looked promising. I love L.A.'s versatility but I jus gotta believe Riley is a better fit since it's his natural position.

Archived