Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: In Your Opinion, Should We Re-sign Carlos, Rocky, both or neither?

#98QBKiller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Assuming neither are asking for top-at-their-position money, personally, I think it's in our best interest to make an effort to keep both of them on the roster.

With the number of holes already on this team, we would be setting ourselves back by not attempting to re-sign both of them. They may not be world beaters but they are both above-average players who have shown that they can excel in either the 4-3 or 3-4. Both have been on the team for a few years now and they've shown that they're willing to play hard whether we're still in the playoff hunt or not.

IMO, I would make a solid effort to bring both of them back.

neither. rogers is just done here, and rocky is a very poor 3-4 ILB. he needs to go to a team that plays 4-3 so he can get back to his natural position.

id like to give riley a shot or a FA the ILB job, and promote barnes or buchanon to the #2 corner role behind hall. or potentially sign jonathon joseph in FA from the bengirls.

we need carlos because he is that rarest of all things -- a capable player that we drafted and developed ourselves.

rocky ... he fails the "capable palyer" side of that equation. yeah, we developed him ourselves, but ugh he has not impressed me at all. he seems like a poor tackler, a poor fit for the 3-4, and never seems to be in the right position. i guess he doesn't get a lot of penalties. :/ league minimum plus incentives. if he wants to test the free market waters, be my guest.

I don't really understand the ES myth that Rocky doesn't fit in the 3-4. He's our second leading tackler and is having the best season of his career. He's really made progress in this scheme in the last 5-6 weeks. He always seems to be near the ball and does a very good job getting pressure on the QB when he's sent on a blitz.

IMO, he may be a better fit for this scheme than for the 4-3.

I said yes to both providing they can be signed for reasonable contracts. Carlos can cover, and he is a reasonable tackler as well. I would put him as perhaps our most important FA to keep.

Rocky hasn't terribly impressed me on the inside, but when I look at linebacker group as a whole, I think he could be a very good fill in the hole player on the Defense. When we began the season, I said 7--9 or 8-8, and I felt that way primarily because we had/have no depth. How many years can Fletcher play? without a significant drop off? As it stand now we need another inside linebacker for next year. Do I think he is replacable in production at his spot? Yes, especially as many of his tackles involve him moving backwards at point of contact (gives up yards)...but I don't think we're at a position where we should be replacing servicable parts. We have enough broken parts needing help.

I don't really understand the ES myth that Rocky doesn't fit in the 3-4. He's our second leading tackler and is having the best season of his career. He's really made progress in this scheme in the last 5-6 weeks. He always seems to be near the ball and does a very good job getting pressure on the QB when he's sent on a blitz.

Once an idea gets rolling on ES there's no stopping it. But like you I haven't been that upset with Rocky. A few weeks ago he was playing timid, but I think it was more so due to his injury than being "lost" in the system. Yesterday his play looked far more instinctive.

but I don't think we're at a position where we should be replacing servicable parts. We have enough broken parts needing help.

as a general approach to the team in its current state, i agree emphatically with this. we have parts that are flat broken. namely, both lines, safety, and arguably now with the mcnabb debacle, quarterback.

if we were one player away from being a contender, then yes we should go out and get a big stud WR. but only a fool would think we are in that position.

meanwhile, i think we can definitely make it another year with moss/armstrong/austin/cooley/davis catching passes, and torain plus whoever else shanahan can unearth at RB. carlos definitely falls into the "servicable" category, which means we should make an effort to retain. the argument is whether or not rocky also fits that description.

Once an idea gets rolling on ES there's no stopping it. But like you I haven't been that upset with Rocky. A few weeks ago he was playing timid, but I think it was more so due to his injury than being "lost" in the system. Yesterday his play looked far more instinctive.

I do think we could get someone better suited for that inside position, but he did have a pretty good game yesterday.

I don't think we're at a position where we should be replacing servicable parts. We have enough broken parts needing help.

This quote should be stickied at the top of the Stadium. Looking at the current state of this team, I couldn't agree more.

Very true about ES. And I was worried that I was just going off of the game yesterday, but I just looked up his game-by-game stats and since the Minnesota game, he's been one of the leading tacklers week-in and week-out.

hes had the worst season ive ever seen from him. hes awful in coverage, he whiffs on tackles constantly, and misses guys left and right.

remember, racking up a ton of tackles is easy if your defense is on the field all day. and if i was a D coordinator, id run and throw at rocky all day long.

I do think we could get someone better suited for that inside position, but he did have a pretty good game yesterday.

Oh I agree completely, I'm not saying Rocky is the long term answer. Only that with the amount of holes on this team currently, they're many other areas that should be addressed first.

Archived