Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Performance of the Young Guys/Backups

SkinsTribeVA

I figured there were gonna be a bunch of threads about how good or bad the young guys (mainly on defense) looked today, so I decided to just make one thread to discuss all of them (and I figured the mods can merge them here).

My $0.2...

-Kevin Barnes looked alright at safety. IMO he should get a shot to start behind Landry next season if we don't find a better FS in FA.

-Macho Harris: not good, not terrible. I don't think he has a future at safety, but he looks like he has the skills to be a solid backup CB.

-Perry Riley: pretty good. He's physically gifted and has a playmaker's instincts but is raw. I think he'll get a serious chance to start in our LB corps, maybe not next year, but at some point...

-Rob Jackson: looked decent, but I still don't think he's starter material.

-DL: I thought the DL looked as good today as it has in any game this season. Bryant, Holliday, and Carriker each had bright moments. Carriker is the only one I want starting next season but the other two could become part of a solid rotation if we can find a younger stud NT and DE (NT is by far our most pressing need on D).

-Ryan Torain: solid. The run blocking wasn't always great, but he still made some plays. If we revamp the interior OL and give this guy some more carries (and he can stay healthy), and he could be special.

-Terrence Austin: he caught a pass! Nuff said.

Anthony Bryant played really well at NT today, he held his ground well and was a big part of how we controlled their running game. He looked better than Kemo has all year. Not sure he should be a starter but he looked like a solid rotation guy at that spot.I thought Rob Jackson played well too, he flashed some pass rush ability and actually looked better than Orakpo at setting the edge against the run. I can't recall him getting trapped inside and letting the back outside him which is still something Rak needs to work on.

All things considered that was the best our defense has played all year. Not that the bar has been set too high in that regard.

- I agree with the part about Barnes, and Harris...I think if Barnes can continue to develop he will make a pretty decent starting FS with Kareem Moore as his back-up...Harris and Westbrook as our 4th and 5th CB's is solid...Buchannon is the only one I wouldn't mind replacing in our secondary...well him and Reed Doughty lol....

- I think the jury is still out on Jackson, it's a little too early to say he's not starter material...He showed good speed/aggression, good pass rush, and a nose for the football...I want to see more of him and think he should be in the mix...

- I agree on Torain, if we can strengthen the interior of our OL he is going to be a pretty good back for us...He was close today to breaking some runs but the interior OL gave up penetration, or just got "blowed" up...

I don't think we found any new starters today so I still think we have the same holes, but I do think Shanny might have found good backups and depth in some of the young guys.

Well if Rob Jackson puts up another game against the Giants, we could have found an OLB opposite of Orakpo. Riley I think is going to start next year there's not a doubt in my mind about that. Rocky is a goner at the end of the year and Riley will step in.

I was really happy with Bryant, Barnes, Riley, Jackson, and Westbrook. Grossman wasn't bad, wasn't good. I don't think that any of those positions need to be upgraded in the draft.

NC21 are you feeling the same way I am with Riley in that he can be a true stud in this scheme? I feel that once you put him with a good NT in front of him he'll be a monster

Disagree on Macho and Rob Jackson. Macho got abused, and I thought Jackson earned a start next week, regardless of who's healthy or not. (they should go ahead and IR Rak, or just deactivate him at this point)

Macho didn't get abused, but he didn't play great or even good, but as a 4th or 5th CB, I think he gives us quality depth...

You don't think Rob Jackson is not starter material? Why? Just because he got picked late in the draft doesn't mean he isn't starter material. Look at James Harrison.

I think if you add in all of Cooley's ridiculous drops... Grossman's day was at least a B

You don't think Rob Jackson is not starter material? Why? Just because he got picked late in the draft doesn't mean he isn't starter material. Look at James Harrison.

No I just don't think I have seen enough of him yet. I don't want to proclaim people starters after a couple good games let him play the last game and then see what happens.

say what you will but the Oline kept Grossman clean on the road against a defensive oriented team.

give heyer, williams, litch, davis, and torrain (all young dudes) a ton of credit

They played pretty well as a group but Heyer again showed why he is not a starter in this league. He is a liability run blocking and really struggles in space which is a problem for a tackle. Its night and day when Brown is in that spot and healthy.

They played pretty well as a group but Heyer again showed why he is not a starter in this league. He is a liability run blocking and really struggles in space which is a problem for a tackle. Its night and day when Brown is in that spot and healthy.

Agreed and it shows in Run blocking as well. Last week there were some big holes for Torain on the right side when Jamaal was playing and today they really stayed away from the right side and ran right behind Lich and Williams

The Redskins have a good mix of young players and proven veterans. I'm predicting a surprise run to the playoffs next season.

UH OH here we go again we do have some very optimistic fans lol. Its one win fun but lets see how we draft and training camp and preseason before predictions are made, we have a very tough schedule next year.

Jackson's been just milling around for a few years now. The dude can obviously play, he is here no matter the regime or scheme.

Finally glad to see Pete Wy... err Rob Jackson back in the game. All our other DL converted to LB look slow and stiff. He looked like an LB.

Some had said during the '08 draft that could be a better fit at OLB in a 3-4 scheme and well today it showed that he's way more effective standing up off the edge

Some had said during the '08 draft that could be a better fit at OLB in a 3-4 scheme and well today it showed that he's way more effective standing up off the edge

I'm looking forwards to seeing Jackson play again next week. I'd like them to start Riley as well or at least rotate him with Rocky.

Archived