Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Performance of the Young Guys/Backups

SkinsTribeVA

Barnes is quickly becoming my favorite young'n other than Banks on the team. I think both Barnes and Banks are guys that will be star Redskin players for a long, long time God willing.

I was also very impressed with Jackson. I honestly didn't think he'd fit at OLB, but he looked really fast off the ball and actually beat his guy with moves to the inside. We haven't had an OLB do that this year.

I didn't notice Riley much, but I guess that's a good thing. Can't wait to pay more attention to these guys when I re-watch the game.

Obviously this was the best part of the last two weeks.

As much as I dont like the way the Shannys have handled the McNabb situation, they have done a fantastic job finding unheralded guys that have played hard for them.

I was very impressed with Vonnie Holiday, Howard Bryant, Rob Jackson, Perry Riley (the last 2 weeks) and Kevin Barnes. On the other side of the ball, Lichtensniger, Armstrong, Williams and Torian have done a great job

Obviously this was the best part of the last two weeks.

As much as I don't like the way the Shannys have handled the McNabb situation, they have done a fantastic job finding unheralded guys that have played hard for them.

I was very impressed with Vonnie Holiday, Howard Bryant, Rob Jackson, Perry Riley (the last 2 weeks) and Kevin Barnes. On the other side of the ball, Lichtensniger, Armstrong, Williams and Torian have done a great job

This is part of the key in developing a deep roster. You need unheralded guys who can either step in or be serviceable contributors. You don't need superstars at every position, just guys that take care of their responsibilities. In recent weeks it appears we might finally have a decent core of 2nd tier depth on our team. That makes it possible to pickup a couple play makers in the draft and in FA to be a competitive team all year long.

Everybody seems to be missing the point. This team is finding depth at positions with guys that can actually compete, are young and hungry. The biggest problem in recent years has been how bad our "second" level guys were filling in for injured starters.

I'm liking what I see from all the guys mentioned in this post.

Everybody seems to be missing the point. This team is finding depth at positions with guys that can actually compete, are young and hungry. The biggest problem in recent years has been how bad our "second" level guys were filling in for injured starters.

Agreed. I hope some of these guys make a real good impression on the coaches going into the offseason and training camp. They need all the depth they can get, whether it be from PS guys or from draft picks, which they're always short on.

The two players that stood out the most to me were Bryant and Jackson. Bryants ability to hold the point made the Jags runners flow to the edge and our tackling today was actually decent. Bigger test will be next week against the Giants G/C combo. Jackson as someone else pointed out looked very smooth and seemed to be the best athlete, other than Rak at OLB and given a shot at the olb position. I really think Alexander should be paired with Fletch (if we dont draft or sign a FA) because of his size and straight line speed, for a 290 lb man. All in all it was good to see us beat a desperate team. Next week we will get the Giants best, this will tell us ally about which backups will stay and whose a goner

I find interesting that the two games where we had massive injuries, we won both games....both games on the road against good teams...the Titans were a winning team when we beat them.

to me it's another sign of poor personnel decisions by Shanny....guys like Kemoeatu, golston and moore were completely useless this year....bryant, jarmon and barnes should have been in there much earlier.

Rob Jackson: looked decent, but I still don't think he's starter material.

I thought Jackson played great. IMO, he just needs more playing time along with Wilson.

---------- Post added December-27th-2010 at 09:48 AM ----------

The reason Hawk is on the way out in GB is because he isn't a good fit in the 3-4. Stay away from AJ Hawk.

I'd take him in a heartbeat bro. The guy's a machine.

I like the idea of Jackson on one side with Orakpo on the other, I thought he made some nice plays today. I can't wait to see him against the Giants next week. I hope that we can also bring in AJ Hawk next year.

Tell me why I'm crazy...but why couldn't our LBs look like this next year:

OLB: Orakpo and Jackson (Wilson as a backup)

ILB: Riley and Alexander (need depth here)

I have not been impressed with Rocky lately and Fletcher is going to get old overnight (eventually).

I really think Alexander should be paired with Fletch (if we dont draft or sign a FA) because of his size and straight line speed, for a 290 lb man.

I still think Alexander should be playing DE in this scheme. I think if get a real monster NT, Carriker and Alexander would be playing incredible I think.

---------- Post added December-27th-2010 at 10:29 AM ----------

Tell me why I'm crazy...but why couldn't our LBs look like this next year:

OLB: Orakpo and Jackson (Wilson as a backup)

ILB: Riley and Alexander (need depth here)

I'd love to get a true NT in FA - someone like Ron Edwards or Aubrayo Franklin.

I'd be happy with this:

DE Carriker * NT Edwards/Franklin * DE Lorenzo Alexander

OLB Orakpo * ILB Wilson * ILB David Harris * OLB Jackson

CB Hall * SS Landry * FS Barnes * CB Drayton Florence

I would also sign DB Justin King

Dont forget about Robert Henson guys. He was a beast in the preseason and actually showed more sideline to sideline play than anyone. He looked like a bigger London Fletcher out there making tackle after tackle. He was put on IR this season and hopefully adding about 10 lbs so he can come out and start for us, or at least be quality, young depth.

51 Henson, Robert LB 6-0 247 1 TCU 01-27-1986

edit - we also have about 4 practice squad positions open for the last game. I expect them to sign a couple of guys tomorrow

---------- Post added December-27th-2010 at 10:52 AM ----------

Game's leading tackler Robert Henson hurt

Second-year inside linebacker Robert Henson suffered a right knee injury Thursday night during the second half of the Redskins 20-10 loss to the Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium.

"Yeah, it's a shame," defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said. "It's something we're going to have to take a look at. I don't know how long it'll be. "It's something we'll have to evaluate. I thought he played pretty well to that point. ... He was active. He was into the game. He was excited about playing. "

Henson was expected to make the opening 53-man roster, in large part, because of the contribution he could make on special teams. Against the Cardinals, he led all players with seven tackles. Henson also had two tackles for losses and a sack.

"I thought he made a bunch of plays," Coach Mike Shanahan said. "He's all over the field. We'll see how bad he is in the next couple of days - how bad that injury is."

Henson said the leg injury occurred when he "just landed funny." Henson is expected to undergo an MRI exam Friday.

"I tackled the guy and somebody landed on my leg," he said. "I just couldn't put any weight on it. It was tough. Obviously, I wanted to play the whole game.

"I felt like a guy in my position couldn't afford to be hurt. But ain't much you can do about it. I definitely kind of broke down when it happened. I was kind of emotional about it because I felt, like I said, I've got to make plays."

Henson said he appreciates the support of his teammates.

"A lot of my teammates said I had a good game," Henson said. "But they don't make the decisions at the end of the day. I felt I had a lot more to go. Like I had a lot more to give. Like I said, it's a tough situation. Hopefully, I did enough to stick around."

By Jason Reid | September 3, 2010; 2:33 AM ET

IIRC though Poker said he's actually a good 3-4 fit its just his contract balloons up to 10 million next year and they'll let him go and resign Bishop instead

Are you sure? I coulda swore Hawk lost his starting job to Chillar, because he didn't fit the scheme that well.

Archived