Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the Locker Room Really Divided?

War Paint

After reading this article, it doesn't seem so. Seems like the "divided locker room" is overblown.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2010/12/teammates-react-mcnabb-benching

Teammates react to McNabb benching

By John Keim

They didn’t see it coming. Then again, after thinking about it, they’re also not all that surprised. The pieces added up: the Redskins are out of the playoffs and the offense is struggling. The quarterback is the position of change.

So when the Redskins benched Donovan McNabb and inserted Rex Grossman, the players expressed some surprise, but also shrugged their shoulders and moved forward.

“He’s definitely won a lot of games and he’s done things in this league,” Redskins corner DeAngelo Hall said. “But sad as it is, this is a what have you done for me lately league and he hasn’t won a whole lot of games for us. They felt it was time to figure out if Rex was a guy we should keep around here or not.”

Tight end Chris Cooley said, “It never surprises me. It’s always different. There’s always something new here. But that’s the NFL.”

Hall is one of McNabb’s better friends on the Redskins and has talked to him about the move. But he didn’t want to say what was discussed. Hall did say he didn’t think the move was handled in a disrespectful manner.

McNabb was told about the move after practice Thursday; the team was told Friday morning.

“No, not disrespectful,” he said. “Had it been done in a sneaky matter, maybe. From what I’m told, coach Shanahan has been upfront with Donovan from day one. He was upfront all week with him. I don’t think it’s disrespectful.”

Grossman’s offensive teammates point to his experience in this offense. Though he’s only in his second season in Kyle Shanahan’s offense, having played for him in Houston, Grossman’s knowledge is evident, teammates say.

“No doubt, Rex knows the offense,” Cooley said. “It’s just his ability to get through plays, to know the reads, to know what guys are doing, to call plays.

“The hope for our offense and more for Rex is that he can operate at a high level. We haven’t scored a lot of points; we’re out of the playoffs. So hopefully we can score some points and do some good things.”

Teammates noticed that Grossman’s reps in practice had increased lately. What they don’t know is who will be the quarterback beyond this season.

“That’s not for me to answer,” Cooley said. “What I can tell you is we’re out of the playoffs. We haven’t scored a lot of points in the past few weeks and it’s a great opportunity for Rex.”

Receiver Santana Moss, like the others, said he was surprised. But added that there’s no time to dwell on any move.

“We got to a point in the season where you still want to win, but [shanahan] wants to see what he has next year,” Moss said. “He wants to see if these guys can be the same guys he’s counting on for next year. This is an opportunity most guys would want and I hope Rex goes out there and does his thing.”

This is the sort of thing that drives me nuts. Of course the locker room isnt divided, and if it is then it is good that Shannahan can find out who the people are that arent willing to toe the line. Did Shanny make the right move here, probably not. If there were any players that were spouting off about it would they be wrong? Absolutely 100% yes.

This is the sort of thing that drives me nuts. Of course the locker room isnt divided, and if it is then it is good that Shannahan can find out who the people are that arent willing to toe the line. Did Shanny make the right move here, probably not. If there were any players that were spouting off about it would they be wrong? Absolutely 100% yes.

WOW your not to bright are you. So it's okay for players to be called out for there B.S. Yet you can't call out coaches for there B.S.

WOW your not to bright are you. So it's okay for players to be called out for there B.S. Yet you can't call out coaches for there B.S.

Basically. The NFL is a dictatorship. The coach needs to be that dictator. It is his way or else.

If that is not the case, the coach will be out of a job pretty quick.

Fall in line or GTFO

Who on this team has ever accomplished anything worth a damn to question Shanahan's knowledge? Most of them are a bunch of career losers. Can't wait to get rid of more of this team over the offseason.

Ok your obviously a shanny supporter

So my question is ...what good has he done this year? I actually think we are worse than last year

The only thing I will give him is the haynesworth thing

What good has this team done? They have failed under every coach except Gibbs, and now that is looking more and more incredible what he was able to accomplish with this group. I'm sorry but this team has no sense of accountability. Shanahan is getting rid of the country club system and I'm happy about it. Now, don't get me wrong, I see no reason to bench McNabb, he is the least of our problems, and Grossman won't do any better, but some of the constant ****ing and moaning from the members from this team is pathetic and delusional. Like I said, I can't wait until alot of them are kicked to the curb. I can think of a handful of players I'd like back next season, and that actually includes McNabb.

Offense: McNabb,Torain,KW,Banks,Armstrong, Davis, Cooley, and Trent Williams. The Oline blows aside from TW.

Defense: Orakpo/Alexander/Hall (yes, he is a loud mouth, but I truly believe he wants to win, and his complaints are legitimate, he's pissed at the lack of talent and their ****ing too)/Landry/Fletcher for another year or two until he finally breaks down. The rest can get the hell out of here.

Oh and get rid of Haslett. He's absolutely terrible.

Based on the quotes in the OP it doesn't sound divided. It sounds realistic.

Let it divide. It needs a massive overhaul anyway, and a division makes it easier to pick who stays and who goes.

With VERY few exceptions, the fans of this town should not be all that enamored of the players on this team that we should be concerned whether they stay or go. As Hall says, "what have you done for me lately" is the Standard Operating Procedure, and there's not many Redskins who can say anything positive.

I've said it all season. There's maybe a dozen guys who can be reasonably assured of a place here next year. Everyone else has to earn it.

This is rebuilding folks, no matter what the local radio clowns would have you believe. It's messy and sticky, it causes headaches, and if it's done right it works and a team climbs out of the pit.

But it takes a while.

~Bang

Is anyone other than JLC reporting that the locker room is "divided"?

Kelly Johnson reported that upfront when she broke the story.

---------- Post added December-17th-2010 at 06:42 PM ----------

Who on this team has ever accomplished anything worth a damn to question Shanahan's knowledge? Most of them are a bunch of career losers. Can't wait to get rid of more of this team over the offseason.

Then they have plenty of experience recognizing losing management when they see one.

I get sick of people around the league acting like Shanahan has offened Jesus Christ, Buddha and Muhammad all at the same time by benching McNabb. The guy has played like ****. He deserved to get benched during the Lions game. He threw a pass into triple coverage when we're up by 5 and 4 minutes left on the clock and got picked. He has more int's than td's and constantly throws into coverage when players are running open.

Slowly but surely the 'mistakes' of the Redskins organization are working themselves out, albeit painfully.

Albert Haynesworth should have been traded back to Tennessee for that draft pick when it became apparent he wasn't going to play the defense. To keep him on the roster and then hardly play him made no sense. Now he is gone.

Donovan McNabb in retrospect was a trade that should never have been made. Not on a team that failed to land a single other impact skill player in the draft, free agency or via trade. A 34 year old quarterback doesn't belong on a 4-12 team trying to climb its way back up. Waste of time for him AND for the organization. Now, he has been shown to the bench by a staff that was excited beyond belief to introduce him back in April.

Shanahan has made enough mistakes in Year 1 that 2011 will actually be the 'first' rebuilding year.

2010 was basically a re-run of 2008 where the club played decently early in the season and then collapsed in the second half.

With VERY few exceptions, the fans of this town should not be all that enamored of the players on this team that we should be concerned whether they stay or go. As Hall says, "what have you done for me lately" is the Standard Operating Procedure, and there's not many Redskins who can say anything positive.

Yeah, I'm really confused as to why so many are upset with trying out some new guys in different positions.

NFL players know that losing means changes...and guess what? We've done a ton of losing in the last 3 years.

Let's see who wants to play.

I would prefer that most of the roster simply vanishes. Your pissing off below average players on a terrible team at the end of the season. I'd venture to say a few of these guys are playing their last games in the NFL. Let's just ride out the storm and look for the complete overhaul this fanbase is entitled to.

2010 was basically a re-run of 2008 where the club played decently early in the season and then collapsed in the second half.

I think the Philly game was a sobering moment for Shanny.

---------- Post added December-17th-2010 at 07:55 PM ----------

No, they are totally united.

United in the belief that Shanny is a joke.

Really?

Are you in the locker room? Do you attend practices?

Frankly, considering the composition of this team, does it really matter what the players think?

there is more than simply performance involved in the issue of the quarterbacks. anyone who doesn't see that is tip-toeing on eggshells. Shanahan raised the specter of the African-American quarterback who couldn't learn the playbook and two minute drill several weeks ago (despite later waffling about health issues, etc.) and now McNabb is being benched because the offense isn't scoring points.

the Redskins have been scoring 15-16 points per game for the past 9 years :laugh:

seriously, Marty's teams were challenged to score. Spurrier's teams were challenged to score. At times ditto for Gibbs in 2004, 2006 and early 2007. Zorn's teams were nowhere to be found in terms of offensive output.

it's been so long what does a real offense in burgundy and gold look like? :D

Archived