Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: With Gano hurt, Redskins to Work Out Other Kickers

s0crates

I am a little surprised this article has not been posted yet, considering all the talk about Gano lately. I looked for a thread but did not see one. If it is already posted, please don't ban me.

The title might be a little misleading, because Shanny says Gano starts if he is healthy, but we are working guys out. Pretty good article, Weismann gives a good review of our kicking woes over the years. I quoted the most relevant part for those that don't want to read the whole thing.

Any thoughts on who we work out? Chances of Gano keeping his job if a replacement does better? Chances of Gano playing?

“I wouldn’t be surprised if they brought some guys in but as far as I’m concerned I am young and I am learning from every game and I think I’ll just keep getting better. I believe I’ll be in the league for a long time. I’m just having some growing pains now,” he said.

He also has a rib injury that was aggravated in the pileup on the botched extra point attempt at the end of the game. Primarily because of the injury, coach Mike Shanahan said Monday, the club would work out a few kickers. Yet Shanahan stood by Gano, as he has all season.

“If he’s full speed, he’ll be our kicker this week,” Shanahan said.

click link for full article

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/With_Gano_Hurt__Redskins_to_Work_Out_Kickers_178247.jsp

I think Gano stinks but I don't think there is anybody better out there. If he can't go we will have to sign another kicker but then that let the kid finish out the season. It's not like we are make a push for the playoffs. besides if he cost us a few more games our loyalty to him gets rewarded by a better draft pick.

Has Gano cost us games? YES...Has he been inaccurate? YES...Should we get rid of him? ABSOLUTELY NOT...

What is happening with Gano is what happens with YOUNG players...They make mistakes, they blow assignments, and they aren't consistent...People ***** and moan on this board about how we are the oldest team in the NFL, how we have no young talent, how we dont have any developmental players...WE DO and Grahmn Gano is one of them...When you have one like Gano that is obviously talented, and can play and be a great NFL kicker, you stick with him...The Place Kicker position, short of QB is the most pressure packed position in the NFL...The good kickers are the ones that know how to manage the pressure, and handle their nerves...When you think about it, it typically takes a young kicker 2-3 full seasons of kicking in the NFL before they become the consistent FG machines ala Vinitieri, Kaeding, Akers etc...IMO why not give Gano another year or two while this team is rebuilding to see if he has IT...If he does great we have a FG kicker for the next 10-15yrs, if not the rest of the team will be ready by that time and we can add a veteran kicker to make our run...

If he has been struggling with a rib injury it explains why all of his kicks have been pulled. Pain could restrict his movement.

Which, then, mean it falls back on coaching. He never should have played with a rib injury. That's on Shanahan and Smith. Another brilliant move. Ugh.

haha ironic you mention Akers...there's a mistake we made releasing him.

He kicked in one game for us in 1998. Third game of the season. Missed two field goals.

Scott Blanton started the year for us, as well as in 96 and 97. He was on a short leash.

Akers was signed, missed two and was a rookie with no track record. Of course he doesn't get kept when a proven commodity like Cary Blanchard was available. Blanchard wasn't the greatest kicker, but he sure looked better than a rookie who went 0/2.

He kicked in one game for us in 1998. Third game of the season. Missed two field goals.

Scott Blanton started the year for us, as well as in 96 and 97. He was on a short leash.

Akers was signed, missed two and was a rookie with no track record. Of course he doesn't get kept when a proven commodity like Cary Blanchard was available. Blanchard wasn't the greatest kicker, but he sure looked better than a rookie who went 0/2.

But that doesn't go with the narrative of how we made a terrible mistake "letting another young talent go". Add in the fact that it was during our "once proud franchise" era pre-Snyder and the whole story falls apart.

But that doesn't go with the narrative of how we made a terrible mistake "letting another young talent go". Add in the fact that it was during our "once proud franchise" era pre-Snyder and the whole story falls apart.

Exactly. It's revisionist history... The victor writes the story.

Or, it could just be that people weren't really following the team then, or don't remember clearly. That stuff happens.

Missing 10 field goals in 13 games is not what happens to young players. It's what happens to bad field goal kickers

How do you know that? The more FG's you kick the more you are going to miss...Gano is #1 or 2 in FG's attempted in the NFL...He has missed some easy ones and some hard ones...Please enlighten me of a FG kicker that came right out as a rookie and made every kick everytime?

There's a whole planet full of people out there who believe kicking a ball is the best way to have fun.

How it is we can never seem to find one is a mystery.

~Bang

Having kicked both a rugby ball and an American football, I take my hat off to those that do it for a living. A rugby ball is MUCH easier to kick being fatter and less pointed. With an American football, it tends to dip a heck of a lot quicker. If you haven't got the leg, forget it. Plus the fact in rugby, if your not drop kicking the ball, it's stationary. As opposed to football when your not only reliant on others, but have the opposition charging at you too. Coming from a soccer background doesn't really help either, as the whole mechanics are different.

I guess an Aussie rules ball must be similar, due to the biggest cross over coming from that the World.

Hail.

I thought the rib injury occurred after the botched PAT at the death Sunday, hence why Smith tried the on-side.

Am I missing something?

Hail.

Well then, I still blame coaching, because Gano has been attrocious.

You hear that, Danny Smith? YOU HEAR THAT?!?! :ols:

Archived