Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DallasNews.com: Roy Williams: 'I've been the most consistent wide receiver' on team

terrifNick21

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/120210dnspoblogcowwilliamsbest.286c5c268.html

Cowboys' wide receiver Roy Williams joined The Ben and Skin Show on KESN-FM radio on Tuesday. Williams talked about how much he loved being in Dallas and how he would like to retire as a Cowboy.

Here are a few other topics he touched on:

On where he stands with the organization:

"I'm nowhere near trying to toot my own horn because I'm not that type of player, but I've been the most consistent wide receiver that we have on this roster. That can go back all the way to OTAs, training camp and during the season. I'm not getting very many opportunities but I'm doing everything that I'm supposed to do. I'm run blocking, lining up, doing things I'm supposed to do, a lot of things that don't make Sports Center but a lot of things that my coaches see and my teammates see as well.

---------- Post added December-2nd-2010 at 10:15 AM ----------

:ols:

This fool never stops.

Oh, and later, he says:

On the spirit of the team:

"I think we're good. I think this has humbled this football team. I think this is going to stick with this team for a while. I think next year is going to be a great year for the Dallas Cowboys. Just because we've tasted defeat in a bunch of different ways."

:rotflmao:

So, let me get this right. How you've lost is going to help you next year? Lol... Alrighty then.

Roy Williams has been a good receiver this year. Don't be biased because were skins fans, he's one of the better run-blocking receivers in the league, and he's been a good target in the RZ.

Can't say I'm happy about the situation, but Roy Williams is speaking the truth. Roy isn't an all-star in my opinion he understands that, but he can be one hell of a roll player.

Clinton Portis would be proud.

how is that related to this topic?

Roy Williams has been a good receiver this year. Don't be biased because were skins fans, he's one of the better run-blocking receivers in the league, and he's been a good target in the RZ.

Can't say I'm happy about the situation, but Roy Williams is speaking the truth. Roy isn't an all-star in my opinion he understands that, but he can be one hell of a roll player.

lol, ok jerruh

Good one bud... I guess because I don't look at every player in our division with burgundy tinted glasses, I'm not a skins fan eh?

No, but you are looking at him differently. You're judging his performance as if he is a new player to the NFL, or a developing prospect. Look at it from our perspective: the guy has 32 catches for 469 yards and 5 TD's. Anthony Armstrong, a guy who showed up from the arena football league has 25 catches for 545 yards and a TD. As Redskins fans, most of us are happy with how Armstrong has done, and say that he is turning in a good season. That is because it is his first year starting in the NFL and he wasn't exactly a top draft choice or a big name player on the market, he was a nobody who is working hard and getting some results.

Roy Williams has not been "good" this year if you consider the fact that he was the 7th pick overall in 2004, he has been in the league for 6 seasons now, he has been to the pro bowl twice, he cost his team a 1st, 3rd, and 6th round pick to acquire, signed a 6 year 54 million dollar contract, and in 3 year career with the Cowboys he has caught a total of 89 passes for 1,263 yards and 13 touchdowns- numbers which a WR of his supposed caliber should get in a single season. That means through his 36 games with the Cowboys, he averages 2 catches for 35 yards and .36 touchdowns per game. For a first round draft choice.

He is not a good WR, by any stretch. He would be good if he had been signed as a UDFA. You want a good WR on that team? Miles Austin was undrafted and is on his way to his 2nd straight 1000+ yard season. Dez Bryant has better numbers than Williams and he's a rookie that refused to carry the guy's shoulder pads. If this had happened on the Redskins, and they gave up half their draft to pick up a guy who averages 2 catches for 35 yards per game ESPN would hold a weekly segment to make fun of it.

The-Rock, would you rather have Anthony Armstrong or Roy Williams right now?

I'll answer for myself. Roy Williams.

They're about the same age, and Williams has the ability to be a #1. And the size.

He just.....isn't. But I'd still take him over Armstrong, if I had a choice.

Not to mention that going to the Cowboys couldn't have helped his work ethic :ols:

No, but you are looking at him differently. You're judging his performance as if he is a new player to the NFL, or a developing prospect.

No I'm judging him as a WR 2 that splits time with another guy.

Look at it from our perspective: the guy has 32 catches for 469 yards and 5 TD's. Anthony Armstrong, a guy who showed up from the arena football league has 25 catches for 545 yards and a TD. As Redskins fans, most of us are happy with how Armstrong has done, and say that he is turning in a good season. That is because it is his first year starting in the NFL and he wasn't exactly a top draft choice or a big name player on the market, he was a nobody who is working hard and getting some results.

Expectations and performance are two independent entities. If they weren't Tom Brady would be by far and above the best QB the NFL will ever see, since he was drafted in the 6th round.

Is he actually better than Manning because he was drafted 5 rounds later? Of course not. Judge a player by the way the play in the opportunities they are given to contribute to their team.

Roy Williams has not been "good" this year if you consider the fact that he was the 7th pick overall in 2004,

Again, where your drafted has nothing to do with your performance 6 years later.

An accurate statement: Roy Williams hasn't lived up to pre-trade nor draft expectations

An inaccurate statement: Roy Williams has not been good this year.

If you only get so many targets, and have only so many plays designed for you, you can only get so many yards. Roy Williams has been good at fulfilling the roll the Cowboys have asked of him, and as he said he's been "consistent" because he fulfills all the assignments. Roy doesn't just give his all on RZ pass that's supposed to go his way, he gives his all on 2nd and 6 when the sweep is called for Jones.

he has been in the league for 6 seasons now, he has been to the pro bowl twice, he cost his team a 1st, 3rd, and 6th round pick to acquire, signed a 6 year 54 million dollar contract, and in 3 year career with the Cowboys he has caught a total of 89 passes for 1,263 yards and 13 touchdowns- numbers which a WR of his supposed caliber should get in a single season. That means through his 36 games with the Cowboys, he averages 2 catches for 35 yards and .36 touchdowns per game. For a first round draft choice.

a.) We're talking about 2010 Roy Williams, because that's what this article pertains to, all your points on his previous years are moot.

b.) He's a #2 receiver this year who splits time. What exactly were you expecting from him?

He is not a good WR, by any stretch. He would be good if he had been signed as a UDFA. You want a good WR on that team? Miles Austin was undrafted and is on his way to his 2nd straight 1000+ yard season.

I feel like a broken record. Expectations and performance are two entirely different things.

If they weren't someone like Marques Colston would be the hands down best WR. Is he better than Andre Johnson because he was drafted later? Obviously not.

Dez Bryant has better numbers than Williams and he's a rookie that refused to carry the guy's shoulder pads.

-And how many more targets has Bryant gotten? How many plays have been specifically designed to get the ball in Bryants hands? Numbers don't come without opportunity.

I've learned the hard way not to make too much fun of a player likely to change teams in the offseason. . . . .

LOL! You're right...there's a good chance they could've ended up here...:ols:

---------- Post added December-2nd-2010 at 06:17 PM ----------

Well, for those of you defending Roy let me just say: Why the hell is a guy on a 3-8 team talking about individual performance. His improved play certainly hasn't helped his team in the win column, has it.

The pukes are a 'team' of 'me'....that's why they're losers.

]Well, for those of you defending Roy let me just say: Why the hell is a guy on a 3-8 team talking about individual performance. His improved play certainly hasn't helped his team in the win column, has it.

He was asked a question about himself and his standing with the team... I'm all for hating on some Cowboys, but holy **** guys...

LOL! You're right...there's a good chance they could've ended up here...:ols:

---------- Post added December-2nd-2010 at 06:17 PM ----------

Well, for those of you defending Roy let me just say: Why the hell is a guy on a 3-8 team talking about individual performance. His improved play certainly hasn't helped his team in the win column, has it.

It all starts at the top, IMO. Jerruh invites this sort of mentality. Like I said before, this "we are better than we really are" thing isn't going to change with the Cowboys until Jerruh stops being Jerruh.

He did look good against New Orleans. And I agree with his statement about him run-blocking. He should have left out the "most consistent wide receiver" part.

He fumbled the Saints game away. The game was over if he doesn't fumble deep in saints territory.

Archived