Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#1 WR Options

method man

Question:

(Re:Vikings Game)

Would having another starting quality WR helped us more then having another starting caliber OL?

specific example of how an OL would have helped us win against the Vikings:

o On the bomb to an wide open Armstrong: If our OL could have given McNabb another nano-second of time he probably gets to step into the throw and Armstrong probably scores a TD and Armstrong starts looking like a WR with starting caliber potential.

o If our OL could make some running room for Keiland Williams and James Davis the offense wouldn't have been 1 dimensional towards the pass.

But b/c we couldn't run the ball we made it harder for the McNabb and the passing game to have success when a defense is only playing against the pass

This is my long winded way of saying that having a good OL makes everyone else better.

I'm tired of this team attain other team's players through free agency. We have to draft, draft, draft, and then have those players develop. Much help is needed in the wide receiving area. If the Redskins can draft A.J. Green from Georgia or Michael Floyd from Notre Dame, that will greatly assist the wide receiver corps. Santana Moss can get the job done, but I'm not as sold on him as I used to be. We need another target that will become the primary WR.

Agreed but when you have as many holes as we do you gotta get players from somewhere.. Think about it

We need at the very least 1 #1 WR, Our entire interior OL needs to be replaced.. 80% of our Defense needs to be replaced. Aren't enough picks in 3 drafts and you need to conside that anyone drafted below the 3rd rounder is going to be a gamble, so that gives us 8(hopefully) quality picks over the next three years.. Gotta suplement with FA and trades unfortunately.

If Larry Fitz opts out, I don't see him going to Minny if they don't have a QB (Farve ain't coming back after this, ARZ doesn't have a QB, and I'd take McNabb over Travais Jackson anyday). It seems we want VJax more then anyone else, but I expect that to change if Larry hits the market. Try to get both, end of excuses : )

I agree with you. But Allen isn't going to break the bank for FA's. Before Allen left Tampa, the Bucs were 60 million under the cap.

That had nothing to do with Allen. That was the Bucs' cheap ownership...all of their money is tied up in their soccer team.

The same soccer team that they are in major debt with :ols: The Glazer family needs to just get out of owning if they keep losing

Exactly! Haha. So really, we don't know how Bruce Allen would operate on a team with money. What did he do in terms of FA's with Oakland?

Really tired of this V-Jax bull****. The dude had TWO good seasons with one of the best QBs in the game and he's mentioned in the same breathe as Fitz?

Why is he considered one of the best WRs in the league to some of you? If Brandon Lloyd breaks 1,000 yards next season, are we going to be begging for his return?

Sidney/Santonio won't be available... but everybody on the OP's "up-and-comer" list would be a good upgrade to what we've got right now.

Yes OL is a need, but i will also say we used 3 of 6 picks in this past draft on OL, we will need to address other areas also. First I would point out, With Shanny's first draft in Washington, I am happy with what we got considering what we started with. The fact we got imo the best LT in the draft that alone gives Shanny some props. All those that wanted Okung first, how's that working out in Seatle atm compared to Williams. So lets at least give the FO some props for making the best pick for the Skins in last years draft. As for this year, I still maintain going after 1 highly regarded interior linemen in the FA (Mankins) but am sure there are others. Let this line get a 2nd year of exp under its belt plus the FA (G) and maybe a 5 or 6th rd pick on a project. Use our 1 on Def. DL, lb, cb does not matter go bpa on def. then use the 2nd rd for Wr. or def. again. Now i will say if we do not sign a quality OLman then yes by all means look to use the 2nd rd pick on OL but other areas have to be addressed on this team.

I 100% agree with drafting a WR in the first round. A talented wideout can do wonders for an offense. It's the difference between a guy that just runs a route and a guy that's doing whatever he can to get open and take it to the house. We need that young stud at WR that's going to make those plays when a play falls apart. We haven't had a guy like that in a long time, and we certainly don't have it now. The only player I think comes close is Banks, but we don't know for sure because he gets hardly any opportunities at WR.

Quality interior linemen can be found later in the draft. I don't think top wideouts are a dime a dozen.

Yes OL is a need, but i will also say we used 3 of 6 picks in this past draft on OL, we will need to address other areas also.

When a team wants to address and area of need they commit valueable resources to the problem.

Drafting Trent Williams was a step in the right direction but the other 2 picks were late round flier that haven't sniffed the field yet.

It would de different if those Capers and Cook were on the cusp of breaking into the starting line-up but they're on the practice squad and have yet to be activated.

Let this line get a 2nd year of exp under its belt plus the FA (G) and maybe a 5 or 6th rd pick on a project.

Counting on 5th or 6th round draft picks along the OL is not really trying to solve the problems up front its crossing your fingers and hoping.

Now i will say if we do not sign a quality OLman then yes by all means look to use the 2nd rd pick on OL but other areas have to be addressed on this team.

Now were talking.

And i agree that we have other needs but at some point you have to commit top draft picks to find good young long term solutions up front.

Really tired of this V-Jax bull****. The dude had TWO good seasons with one of the best QBs in the game and he's mentioned in the same breathe as Fitz?

Why is he considered one of the best WRs in the league to some of you? If Brandon Lloyd breaks 1,000 yards next season, are we going to be begging for his return?

Sidney/Santonio won't be available... but everybody on the OP's "up-and-comer" list would be a good upgrade to what we've got right now.

Sorry dude if you are tired of hearing about VJax, but word around the campfire and hints from the tea leaf readers are that we are the front runners to land him, so you may be hearing even more.

No body is really comparing VJax to Fitz as to their recieving prowess, its just a huge uncertaintity that Fitz will opt out of his contract and also would he be willing to come to the Redskins.

As for Vjax only having TWO good years, well thats two good years out of his first four years. And his stats are a hell of alot better then anybody we have.

And I dont think anybody would really concider bringing B Lloyd back just because he is having a good year.

IMO.. i would draft Julio Jones and Add James Jones.. Leaves us MIGHTY deep... Julio Jones(who will be better than anyone on that list not named Larry Fitz maybe), James Jones, Santana Moss (in the Slot), Anthony Armstrong, Malcolm Kelly (for god sakes stay healthy)

that way we use the rest of our FA money to get a Center (Kalil) or a Guard (Davin Joesph or Dahl) AND a lock down Corner (Johnathan Joesph) maybe even make a Deal for Kelly Gregg out of Baltimore to head up the NT of our 3-4 or hell even Shaun Rodgers at NT...

Just for argument's sake, let's look at it the other way around:

We draft a shutdown corner (Peterson from LSU) in the first round and a Center (Wisniewski from PSU) in the second. We use our FA money on Jackson and James Jones, and maybe make a deal for Gregg or Shaun Rodgers.

That gives us at WR:

Vincent Jackson

James Jones

Santana Moss

Anthony Armstrong

Brandon Banks

Terrence Austin

Malcolm Kelly

...assuming the last two are on the roster next year and contribute

Question:

(Re:Vikings Game)

Would having another starting quality WR helped us more then having another starting caliber OL?

specific example of how an OL would have helped us win against the Vikings:

o On the bomb to an wide open Armstrong: If our OL could have given McNabb another nano-second of time he probably gets to step into the throw and Armstrong probably scores a TD and Armstrong starts looking like a WR with starting caliber potential.

o If our OL could make some running room for Keiland Williams and James Davis the offense wouldn't have been 1 dimensional towards the pass.

But b/c we couldn't run the ball we made it harder for the McNabb and the passing game to have success when a defense is only playing against the pass

This is my long winded way of saying that having a good OL makes everyone else better.

Completely agree and think drafting a WR in the draft is the worst thing we can do with this team. The MNF crew beat this drum tonight, you can not afford to miss in the first round. WR's are far too risky of a pick with the first unless you know for certain you won't miss on someone. It's best to get a WR in FA. The situation I want is a similar contract like we gave McNabb with it essentially being single year deals with Vincent Jackson since he's got the baggage he does. If he can stay away from legal trouble he's our best pickup. Wont cost picks, and we have a QB who will get him the ball. We need to improve the offensive line if we have any chance to get better next year.

Just for argument's sake, let's look at it the other way around:

We draft a shutdown corner (Peterson from LSU) in the first round and a Center (Wisniewski from PSU) in the second. We use our FA money on Jackson and James Jones, and maybe make a deal for Gregg or Shaun Rodgers.

That gives us at WR:

Vincent Jackson

James Jones

Santana Moss

Anthony Armstrong

Brandon Banks

Terrence Austin

Malcolm Kelly

...assuming the last two are on the roster next year and contribute

I think we could all live with this however I think VJ and JJ is a luxury we can't afford. The salary cap is coming back. We need to spread some of that money around to other positions then just this one and GB isn't going to let Drivers successor go cheaply. He will get a huge contract this offseason to move from GB.

So just for the sake of argument say we draft somewhere around the 12th to 16th spot in the first round.

Is J. Jones really going to be there at that time ???

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

Washington Redskins: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

Jay Cutler for Donovan McNabb. Mike Shanahan gets his former quarterback, and McNabb goes back to his hometown. Which team wouldn't do that trade? It almost makes too much sense.

At any rate, Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen will need to find a weapon for their quarterback, whomever that may be. Relying on Joey Galloway is in unacceptable.

Julio Jones' downfall is the inconsistency with his hands, but he's an elite talent otherwise. Brandon Marshall also has trouble catching the ball at times, and teams would gladly draft someone of that caliber at No. 16 overall. Besides, Jones has been better of late, even showing off his toughness by playing hurt. And despite the injury, Jones caught six balls against Patrick Peterson.

Forget Julio Jones, and AJ Green. If were going to get a WR high in the draft, i say pass on those two receivers and wait for Alshon Jeffery the year after. The guy's a sophomore right now and he's playing better than those two SEC studs. He got nominated by the AFCA as the second best receiver in the nation this year. Build both sides of the line in this years draft and develop our WR core right now (Banks, Moss, Armstrong, Austin(maybe), and maybe add a FA this offseason.

2010 Season

Alshon Jeffery- 6'4, 233lbs. 75 rec, 1351 yds 8 tds

Julio Jones - 6'4 220lbs. 75 rec, 1084 yds, 7tds

A.J. Green - 6'4 212lbs. 49 rec, 771 yds, 9 tds

Alshon Jeffery- He's bigger and better than those two and he is the true #1 WR the redskins been looking for.

Forget Julio Jones, and AJ Green. If were going to get a WR high in the draft, i say pass on those two receivers and wait for Alshon Jeffery the year after. The guy's a sophomore right now and he's playing better than those two SEC studs. He got nominated by the AFCA as the second best receiver in the nation this year. Build both sides of the line in this years draft and develop our WR core right now (Banks, Moss, Armstrong, Austin(maybe), and maybe add a FA this offseason.

i disagree.. both AJ Green and Julio Jones are and will be better than Alshon Jeffery imo.. both will also probably be better than Vjax it just really depends on what do you want to build more? If you draft Julio then thats 1 less top draft pick to help our dline.. if you sign Vincent Jackson and deal cooley and albert and stock pile draft picks you could pick up.. Marcell Dareus to the DE spot..with 2 second rounders you could draft Stephen Paea for our NT... and for the other Second Rounder go Allen Bailey.. that right there gives you unbelievable rush players to go with Orakpo. Now in the 3rd round you could take the center our of Penn State (not many centers go high especially depending on there blocking system) Stefen Wisniewski, ok now you've set your Dline for the future and sured up the center position for years to come imo..

now comes the FA part.. our combined total salary is around 80-90 mill.. the salary cap will probably be 126-130mill therefor leaving up around 36-50 mill to spend... You could then sign Vincent Jackson to sure up the WR situation.. then Sign a lock down Corner in Johnathan Joesph who is 26..another piece to the defense... then you could sign Davin Joesph to fill in at LG hes 27(just turned it last week) now your left side of your Offensive line is 23-27-22.. thats youth for years..

now imo this is a move i think we could make.. ship our 5th round pick out to baltimore and get kelly gregg (hes up there in age but he could easily still be effective and teach Paea how to be affective in the 3-4).

now basically all your needs for the 2012 draft are...

RG,RB,Future QB,FS,ILB,OLB hell you might even find a gem down in the 4th round for our RB or OLB maybe Mark Herzlich out of boston college who can probably step inside linebacker and let alexander stay outside...depending on how he adjusts.. OR you can go Murray or Devine in the 4th and draft OLB next year.. there are many ways to go with this..

may even have enough money left over this year to go after Roth the OLB from Cleveland im sure he won't command to much money.. thats more of a luxary FA than anything imo..

Archived