Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Getting to know Victor 'Macho' Harris

themurf

macho112410.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Lost in the shuffle of Vince Young’s epic meltdown was the fact that the Washington Redskins were dangerously close to running out of players in several key positions.

The national media may have focused in on the drama involving the Tennessee Titans and their quarterback, but the fact of the matter is, the Redskins were out of offensive linemen, running backs and safeties by the time the game was decided.

In the days since, the Redskins have made a handful of roster moves – including placing Clinton Portis on the injured reserve list and moving youngster James Davis onto the 53-man roster. The team also signed Jacob Bender, an offensive lineman from the UFL.

But the most intriguing move to me, and I fully admit I’m biased here, was the signing of safety Victor “Macho” Harris.

As a cornerback at Virginia Tech, Harris was a standout on one of the most defensive-minded college programs in the country. He always managed to find himself around the football and once he got his hands on the ball, he knew what to do with it – as evident by his 15 interceptions and four defensive touchdowns in three seasons.

“It’s great to have another Hokie in here,” said cornerback DeAngelo Hall. “It’s great to have another guy who is from Virginia and who wants to be a part of this football team. He’s someone who understands the tradition and the legacy here, so it’s nice. It’s really nice.”

Hall was someone who was legitimately excited just to have Harris join him in the NFC East after Philadelphia drafted Macho in the fifth round of the 2009 NFL draft. Needless to say, he’s thrilled to have his close friend joining him at Redskins Park.

“Heck yeah,” he said. “We went out to dinner last night. He came past the house after that. We looked at the playbook together a little bit. It’s going to be nice to have him out there with me.”

With that in mind, it was time to get to know Harris.

“It’s a dream come true, you know,” he said. “Especially being given the opportunity again to be back in the league and being in the place that I really wanted to be. It’s definitely a dream come true. I’m blessed and I thank God for every opportunity he gives me.”

You’ve played cornerback and safety in the NFL. Obviously, with all of the injuries the Redskins are dealing with at safety that where they brought you in to play. How do you feel about that?

“Wherever I can help the team, so be it,” Harris said.

Normally when a guy arrives during the season, he’s got some time to get settled in. with the way things are here at the moment, you might have to dive right in this weekend. You ready for that?

“That’s part of the game,” he said. “A lot of guys get banged up and stuff like that. I’m here to help the team wherever they need me at. If they need me to be a kicker, I’m willing to do that.”

[Editor’s note: Dammit. Even Harris, who has been out of football completely, knows Graham Gano needs to be more consistent.]

How much of an adjustment do you think it’s going to be getting used to Washington’s scheme as opposed to what they ran in Philly?

Click here for the full article.

I hope he takes Moore's spot.. Just got done rewatching the Skins/Titans replay, and Kareem Moore "still" does not impress me.. The dude looks like he tries to avoid contact, cant tackle, and can barely run.. So, in other words, welcome to DC Mr. Harris!!! :point2sky

I actually wanted Harris over Barnes in that Draft anyways. Now we've got 'em both. :D

Let the Macho Maddness begin. Oooooooohhhh Yeah! Dig it!

And murf, if you haven't seen Jay Lethal do his spot on Ric Flair impersonation, check it out

You want to solve your Running back issues? You stick this man at RB. I went to school with him and although it was high school, Ive never seen such raw speed and talent. If his talent is "average" at the NFL level, I would love to see how fast Banks really is

You can't just switch the guy to RB in the NFL.

1. He's not built for it.

2. He's been playing CB/S for the last 5 or so years.

We'll be fine at RB.

I actually wanted Harris over Barnes in that Draft anyways. Now we've got 'em both. :D

And murf, if you haven't seen Jay Lethal do his spot on Ric Flair impersonation, check it out

While none of this has anything to do with Harris, I will admit I enjoyed both clips you posted. Hadn't seen anything from TNA for years and didn't know who this kid was, but he cracks me up. Dead on with his Flair impression.

Random sidenote: Ric Flair was shown throughout the Redskins-Titans game on the jumbotron screaming his trademark "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" while sporting a Titans jersey. He also does this for the Carolina Hurricanes. Is the guy turning into Snoop Dogg and he'll show up anywhere for food/weed?

You can't just switch the guy to RB in the NFL.

1. He's not built for it.

2. He's been playing CB/S for the last 5 or so years.

We'll be fine at RB.

I don't think he's referring to Banks, he's referring to Keiland. He's saying if Williams is only average speed in the NFL, he'd love to see how fast a speedster like Banks actually is in real life.

I remember a lot of you VT guys talking him up before the draft, I kind of lost track of him once he was drafted but I definitely remember the hype...I'm hoping a 2nd chance will have him blowing up in the NFL for us...we've seen it before, sometimes a change of scenery can turn a player's career around.

I think he will be added to our roster. You don't pick up a man like Macho Harris and not add him to the active roster. The dude has amazing hands and could force turnovers for us. Ask yourself, would you want Macho Harris or Carlos Rogers at CB? My choice would be Macho Harris. He seems like the type of guy that can read good curl routes and make a move on the ball.

I think he will be added to our roster. You don't pick up a man like Macho Harris and not add him to the active roster. The dude has amazing hands and could force turnovers for us. Ask yourself, would you want Macho Harris or Carlos Rogers at CB? My choice would be Macho Harris. He seems like the type of guy that can read good curl routes and make a move on the ball.

Not at all I would much rather have a lock down corner like Carlos than one who in the past has had issues with play action and biting on all fakes and doubles moves. For as much flak as we give Carlos, he's one of the better cover corners in all of football and that's whats most important

Not sure why we signed another NFL reject.

I am all for second chances, but as Keshawn Johnson and Cris Carter would say, "Come on man!"

I am surprised we are not giving Kevin Barnes an opportunity to play. He is a playmaker, is agile, and loves contact. Had he not been injured his senior year, he was regarded as 1st rounder.

Not sure why we signed another NFL reject.

I am all for second chances, but as Keshawn Johnson and Cris Carter would say, "Come on man!"

I am surprised we are not giving Kevin Barnes an opportunity to play. He is a playmaker, is agile, and loves contact. Had he not been injured his senior year, he was regarded as 1st rounder.

So question then Mi6 and this is just a question not trying to single you out I'm curious though, should we not have signed Anthony Armstrong when he didn't make it on the Dolphins practice squad or gone for Ryan Torain when he was cut from Denver? The NFL is all about 2nd chances and some of the best players to ever play were guys who were given 2nd chances. Look at Steve Young he wasn't good in Tampa but then he goes to San Fran and becomes one of the best QB's to play the game

Random sidenote: Ric Flair was shown throughout the Redskins-Titans game on the jumbotron screaming his trademark "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" while sporting a Titans jersey. He also does this for the Carolina Hurricanes. Is the guy turning into Snoop Dogg and he'll show up anywhere for food/weed?

I met some guy from North Carolina awhile back. Older guy. He told me that Ric Flair was the biggest cocaine customer in all of Charlotte back in the days, in the 80's. That he'd buy ridiculous amounts of coke. I can see it, lol.

Archived