Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Injury Replacement Nobody's Talking About: Anderson Russel

Conn

True. Remember when Wilson was many people's dark horse candidate for the starting OLB position opposite Orakpo, this offseason? Does he even suit up? I don't think I've noticed him on the field at all.
He dresses. He does a pretty good job on kick coverage.

I'm wondering if chris wilson is one of those guys. Seems to make plays when ever he's in but he's not in very often. I was hoping to see him when lorenzo went out instead of carter but oh well.

+1 I was hoping to see more of Wilson,Riley, and even Henson then Blades and Carter! Did Barnes get to play much I like to see more of him also.

We showed yesterday that we don't absolutely need him (just like the Steelers don't absolutely need Polamalu). We do need him at full strength though when he gets back.

Yea I know, I'm kidding. He's gotta heal. Although I betcha Chris Johnson has a little bit less success yesterday if LL is charging at the box. Crucial for AP next week, too.

+1 I was hoping to see more of Wilson,Riley, and even Henson then Blades and Carter! Did Barnes get to play much I like to see more of him also.

I don't think that Riley or Barnes dressed....they usually don't, at any rate. I mean, Westbrook was out there. Hopefully, those are young guys who will take a spot by force this coming offseason.

True. Remember when Wilson was many people's dark horse candidate for the starting OLB position opposite Orakpo, this offseason? Does he even suit up? I don't think I've noticed him on the field at all.

Wilson came on when Orakpo went off for a few plays with what looked like a hand or wrist injury. With it looking like Rocky and Alexander about to miss time bit Wilson and Perry Riley should see some snaps.

But I was more talking about how in general, any pass in Galloway's direction gets picked or is incomplete. It was an ill-advised throw, but he didn't fight for it, he sat and waited for the DB to jump it, which was indeed a good play by the defender. I think there have been 4 passes intercepted that were in Galloway's vacinity. Got to be the most on the team.

Actually, Galloway actually showed up for this game, made a few nice plays. I still think he's a bum, tho.

He came in when Orakpo was knocked out of the game. That also explains why you don't see him on the field that often, because he's Orakpo's backup. Carter, meanwhile, is Alexander's backup.

He dresses. He does a pretty good job on kick coverage.

Ah okay. For some reason, it seems like Lorenzo Alexander and Anthony Armstrong are always making the plays on kick coverage, with Mike Sellers getting a few tackles as well. I hardly ever notice anyone else on that unit. Although I'm sure they're all keeping to their lanes and doing their job.

Wilson came on when Orakpo went off for a few plays with what looked like a hand or wrist injury. With it looking like Rocky and Alexander about to miss time bit Wilson and Perry Riley should see some snaps.

Good call. You too, Longshot. I remember seeing Orakpo on the sideline shaking his hand, didn't think to look for his replacement on the field during those few plays.

I'm pretty excited to see how Riley does, I liked how he was always around the ball during preseason. If he plays really well, that's one less need on this team, depending on what happens with Rocky's contract.

It sent chills down my spine when Byron was lined up with Randy Moss. Good thing Rusty in. LOL

I know, I couldn't keep my eyes off of that part of the field. It was also good that Rusty seemed to stare down Nate Washington on EVERY throw, except for the one where Randy interfered and it got called back. (which was a great call, by the way)

I don't think that Riley or Barnes dressed....they usually don't, at any rate. I mean, Westbrook was out there. Hopefully, those are young guys who will take a spot by force this coming offseason.

Barnes dressed yesterday with Rogers down. I even saw him on the field a couple of times. I expect that with Rocky likely down that Riley will dress this week.

Barnes dressed yesterday with Rogers down. I even saw him on the field a couple of times. I expect that with Rocky likely down that Riley will dress this week.

Nice. I think Barnes fits this defense well, as another physical corner who can lay the wood. Its a shame we haven't gotten many opportunities to judge his coverage skills.

But I will say that every game that goes by, especially this one where he didn't play, we get closer to being able to offer Rogers a VERY affordable deal that he'd be stupid to decline. Would I love to see him have a career year? Of course, but I'd also love to sign him at a bargain price for a few more years and not worry about CB this year. And groom a guy like Barnes who can catch.

Good discussion Conn

Haslett's system doesn't have a FS/SS designation.

Meaning that depending on the situation either the left/right S could play deep or in the box or both.

We know that Doughty is a good back-up SS/FS and an adequate to average starter.

But in ideal circumstances he's better suited to playing SS then Free.

So Russell ,a natural FS and a much faster player then Doughty, gives more versatility which would come in handy playing against Randy Moss.

It should also be noted that Doughty, once again, played a solid game without any major mistakes.

And i think the notion that Doughty is terrible at FS is once again overblown; expecially considering that last year he and Landry switched FS and roles SS starting from the Raiders game til the end of the season; without consequence.

What he lacks in coverage he makes up for with solid if unspectacular play.

Doughty is probably the surest tackling safety on our roster and imo wouldn't have given up some of the long TD runs that Moore and Landry have.

HTTR!

I wonder where they see Barnes long term?

It might not mean a thing but one of the times Barnes was on thew field he played the deep middle S in a Cover 3 look.

Good discussion Conn[]/quote]

Thanks dg, I saw plenty of talk about the offense and the game in general, but figured we could use some specific topics to discuss. Seemed as good a place to start as any.

Haslett's system doesn't have a FS/SS designation.

Meaning that depending on the situation either the left/right S could play deep or in the box or both.

We know that Doughty is a good back-up SS/FS and an adequate to average starter.

But in ideal circumstances he's better suited to playing SS then Free.

So Russell ,a natural FS and a much faster player then Doughty, gives more versatility which would come in handy playing against Randy Moss.

I think the bolded portion is probably the most likely reason. Which is important for two reasons:

1. It shows that Haslett is playing to his players' strengths in this situation. Its something that we've talked about ad nauseum here, and it seems that he's slowly coming around. Which is especially good when you lose an impact player like Landry.

2. Anderson Russell is yet another UDFA/young player that our FO brought in that is contributing. That is very important.

Doughty is probably the surest tackling safety on our roster and imo wouldn't have given up some of the long TD runs that Moore and Landry have.

I'll agree with this, especially the Moore bit. Landry has been much more sure in his tackling, although there are still moments that leave me face-palming.

Any way Doughty could be converted to an OLB, or is he not big enough? Lord knows he's better at coverage than Andre and Lorenzo, and that would put him in a prime spot to be able to make solid plays on the outside.

NO! We tried that already playing Doughty in the box like a linebacker the last two games. He got destroyed by blockers and couldn't do anything. It would be nice like you said in terms of coverage, but the negative definitely outweighs the positive.

Anderson Russell was only healthy for two snaps of defense and did not play either of them.

You're sure? I missed that part of the game, hence the question.

Many people seem to be under the impression that he played some snaps until he got injured on that punt return.

Archived