Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Injury Replacement Nobody's Talking About: Anderson Russel

Conn

So, I missed most of the first quarter, because I was working. So if I'm wrong, I apologize. I haven't gotten to go back and watch what I missed yet.

But watching when I got home, it seems that Anderson Russel was the safety to start in Laron Landry's place, before he was injured.

That seems odd, considering we've all talked at length about Doughty being an adequate SS, but frightening FS. So you'd think he'd be next in line for the start after LL.

Obviously, Horton being put on IR opened up a spot for Russel on the active roster...but I'm pretty shocked that he got the start over Doughty at SS.

I was under the impression that Russel was more of a FS, a ball hawk. Maybe not?

Now, I know Haslett's scheme doesn't have traditional FS/SS roles. So maybe our defensive gameplan was focused more on having the left-side safety play more coverage than run support, and Russel fit that role better than Doughty? Or maybe Doughty was going to be on the field in 3-safety sets often enough anyways?

If none of this is the case, I think its something that we should all take note of if Anderson Russel, another UDFA, beat out Doughty for the start.

I don't think it's odd. Most of us realize Doughty is a good teams contributor and a below average safety. He's slow and not all that athletic. That works on teams where hustle can make up for a lot of the short comings... But athletically he just doesn't have it.

I think it all boils down to speed. Doughty gets away with being slower than most safties by being a smart player and not being out of position. Maybe they though that Vince Young would buy time and allow his WR's to get deep and they wanted a player (Russell) that could run with the WRs. I am not sure they would go the same route with a pure pocket passer.

I think it all boils down to speed. Doughty gets away with being slower than most safties by being a smart player and not being out of position. Maybe they though that Vince Young would buy time and allow his WR's to get deep and they wanted a player (Russell) that could run with the WRs. I am not sure they would go the same route with a pure pocket passer.

Hopefully he'll be all right and play against Favre. He throws the ball so deep we need a center fielder against them.

I don't think it's odd. Most of us realize Doughty is a good teams contributor and a below average safety. He's slow and not all that athletic. That works on teams where hustle can make up for a lot of the short comings... But athletically he just doesn't have it.

That's true. I don't think it will be odd to many ESers, as we've talked about the limitations of Doughty extensively. But it seems that coaches don't agree, and always go to Doughty "the sure veteran" when they need to. This time, they didn't. I find that a little interesting, since Russel was just brought up from the practice squad a couple of weeks ago.

Very true. And if so, I like that they're using their players to their strengths.

That's true. I don't think it will be odd to many ESers, as we've talked about the limitations of Doughty extensively. But it seems that coaches don't agree, and always go to Doughty "the sure veteran" when they need to. This time, they didn't. I find that a little interesting, since Russel was just brought up from the practice squad a couple of weeks ago.

They also keep starting Rabach, refuse to give Austin a chance, keep only three actual tailbacks on the travelling roster when one is coming off an injury that involved tearing his groin off of the bone, etc, etc, etc.

I don't understand a lot of what they do :ols:

Russel play FS at Ohio State, and had a couple picks in his career. He can't be much worse than Moore back there, it would at least be worth a shot at trying him.

I really wasn't impressed with Moore's "tackling" yesterday, and haven't really been impressed with him at all this season.

But I also don't remember thinking that he single-handedly ****ed up many times in coverage, either.

Maybe this whole reckless-shoulder-hitting-and-bouncing-off thing is something that all safeties with a big hit mentality have to go through? First Landry (and Taylor to a degree) and now Moore. I doubt it, I'm just trying to rationalize how Landry can have improved his tackling so drastically, while the guy starting across from him at the other safety position pretty much stinks in that same area. Especially since most of us credit the coaches with getting Landry to focus and do it right.

Any way Doughty could be converted to an OLB, or is he not big enough? Lord knows he's better at coverage than Andre and Lorenzo, and that would put him in a prime spot to be able to make solid plays on the outside.

They also keep starting Rabach, refuse to give Austin a chance, keep only three actual tailbacks on the travelling roster when one is coming off an injury that involved tearing his groin off of the bone, etc, etc, etc.

Good point :doh:

Hopefully, after a game where Rabach was replaced with much success, Portis and Simpson got injured, and Galloway once again seemed to cause an interception with his lack of focus on route-running and fighting for the ball, ALL of the things you mention will finally be rectified.

We can only hope :ols:

Any way Doughty could be converted to an OLB, or is he not big enough? Lord knows he's better at coverage than Andre and Lorenzo, and that would put him in a prime spot to be able to make solid plays on the outside.

I think his tackling is good enough. But in my opinion, he's much too small.

Add to that that this is no longer the 4-3, and its not even a possibility. He doesn't have the pass-rush skills to pull it off.

The best he'll ever achieve in this scheme, is a solid backup run-stopping safety, who should always stay in the box. And who should not be called upon to cover good TE's.

Good point :doh:

Hopefully, after a game where Rabach was replaced with much success, Portis and Simpson got injured, and Galloway once again seemed to cause an interception with his lack of focus on route-running and fighting for the ball, ALL of the things you mention will finally be rectified.

We can only hope :ols:

You can't really put that INT on Galloway. Yeah, it was thrown to him, but it was thrown WAY too late and the defender made a great play on the ball. With all the time McNabb had, he should have thrown it earlier.

I guess he was just so surprised that he had all that time, that he wanted to revel in it and hold on to the ball :silly:

I'm a bit confused. I thought Doughty was listed as the starter?

You can't really put that INT on Galloway. Yeah, it was thrown to him, but it was thrown WAY too late and the defender made a great play on the ball. With all the time McNabb had, he should have thrown it earlier.

I guess he was just so surprised that he had all that time, that he wanted to revel in it and hold on to the ball :silly:

Yeah, that was mostly McNabb's fault, tho maybe once he didn't get the look immediately maybe Galloway should have started moving around again. But, McNabb should have known better than to throw that ball, knowing that defenders were going to find Galloway and converge on him. McNabb was also fortunate that he didn't have a couple more picks in that game.

Anderson Russel was our big shake up on defense. Was supposed to be at least. After X number of weeks of just no stopping opponents in sight, we had to do something.

Reed Moore Landry etc all seem to struggle as a traditional free safety. Maybe we should put a corner back there on obvious passing downs.

:ols: Seriously. Couldn't believe that was the throw he decided to make after all of that time.

But I was more talking about how in general, any pass in Galloway's direction gets picked or is incomplete. It was an ill-advised throw, but he didn't fight for it, he sat and waited for the DB to jump it, which was indeed a good play by the defender. I think there have been 4 passes intercepted that were in Galloway's vacinity. Got to be the most on the team.

I'm a bit confused. I thought Doughty was listed as the starter?

Was he? That's part of the thread as well, because I've seen that Russell was Landry's replacement, before he got injured. Obvious at that point Doughty got in.

How many defensive snaps did Russell play before he got injured (on punt coverage)?

I have a hard time believing that Laron wont be back next week. I just have a feeling that he will because he did get in a light practice last friday. With Russell most likely going to IR we might have to bring in someone off the streets for depth.

I feel the same way, I really think he'll be back.

I was shocked to learn that he hadn't practiced in three weeks, however.

Explains why he hasn't been playing AS good as he was the first five weeks or so of the season. He was injured, and wasn't practicing.

And IS Russell going to IR? Where'd you read that?

Anderson Russel was our big shake up on defense. Was supposed to be at least. After X number of weeks of just no stopping opponents in sight, we had to do something.

Reed Moore Landry etc all seem to struggle as a traditional free safety. Maybe we should put a corner back there on obvious passing downs.

Did you read that somewhere? About him being the "shake-up" on defense? That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, because it seems to be a very small deal to most people that he was out there in place of Landry, if that was even the case.

:ols: Seriously. Couldn't believe that was the throw he decided to make after all of that time.

But I was more talking about how in general, any pass in Galloway's direction gets picked or is incomplete. It was an ill-advised throw, but he didn't fight for it, he say and waited for the DB to jump it, which was indeed a good play by the defender. I think there have been 4 passes intercepted that were in Galloway's vacinity. Got to be the most on the team.

Fair enough. INTs do seem to follow him wherever he goes on the field.

I suspect it's what they see in practice.

Where some guys are great practice players, they flop in real games...maybe some guys aren't great practice players, but play pretty well during games.

I think we saw some of that on Sunday.

I suspect it's what they see in practice.

Where some guys are great practice players, they flop in real games...maybe some guys aren't great practice players, but play pretty well during games.

I think we saw some of that on Sunday.

I'm wondering if chris wilson is one of those guys. Seems to make plays when ever he's in but he's not in very often. I was hoping to see him when lorenzo went out instead of carter but oh well.

I'm wondering if chris wilson is one of those guys. Seems to make plays when ever he's in but he's not in very often. I was hoping to see him when lorenzo went out instead of carter but oh well.

True. Remember when Wilson was many people's dark horse candidate for the starting OLB position opposite Orakpo, this offseason? Does he even suit up? I don't think I've noticed him on the field at all.

I feel the same way, I really think he'll be back.

I was shocked to learn that he hadn't practiced in three weeks, however.

Explains why he hasn't been playing AS good as he was the first five weeks or so of the season. He was injured, and wasn't practicing.

And IS Russell going to IR? Where'd you read that?

No its a complete assumption based on the play in which he went down awkward on his own and then just grabbed at his knee. I am assuming it wasn/t just cramping because he never made it back in the game. If its any sort of strain or ligiment damage it would be at least 2-3 weeks so he would be shelved to make room for other players due to all the injuries.

Archived