Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Murkowski becomes 1st write-in senator since '54

@DCGoldPants

Forget the names and parties involved. The fact that this hasn't happened in almost 60 years is pretty amazing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alaska_senate

The outcome became clear after a tedious week of counting handwritten ballots. Alaska election officials confirmed they had only about 700 votes left to count, with Murkowski ahead by 10,400 votes. Miller has challenged 8,153 of the ballots counted for Murkowski, but he would still be behind even if he won every challenge.

Full article with the link.

Forget the names and parties involved. The fact that this hasn't happened in almost 60 years is pretty amazing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alaska_senate

Full article with the link.

Considering how that tiny putz Miller contested every perceived flaw, including people who wrote her name in cursive, misspelled it slightly, or wrote "Murkowski, Lisa", the truly amazing thing is that he only found 8000 ballots to challenge.

Actually, she's the type of politician who doesn't accept the will of the voters- primary voters in this case.

She believes she is owed the Senatorship. She won because she was incumbent. I find nothing really amazing. She was the most familiar candidate.

She lost the primary but she wouldn't accept that and run. She won.

Joe Leiberman lost the primary but he rejected the will of the democratic primary voters and run as an independent and won.

Crist dropped out of the Republican primary and run as a independent, he lost.

Spector switched parties since he knew he couldn't win the republican but he lost the democratic party.

She got the most votes in the general election. She won. If that weakens the party system, all the better.

I am all for weakening the 2 party system but she is liberal big government Republican. She's not some third party candidate; say like Jessie Ventura.

She's part of problem. To bad the Dems didn't put up a candidate that could win.

Lieberman, Sanders, Murkowski: 3 Independents in the Senate. When was the last time that number was that high?

Only Sanders is a real independent. Lieberman still caucus with the Dems and usually votes with the Dems. Murkowski is a Republican will still caucus as a Republican. Though she will probably vote for against any small government moves.

Or it shows how much pork is appreciated

Considering that Alaska is pork fed, I'd agree with that, but the Alaskan GOP woke up from the mistake they made in the primaries once Miller actually started talking about his ideas, and they realized how bad of an idea Miller was. I wonder how many Dems voted for Murkowski in order to stop Miller.

Archived