Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HDTV....I need some advice!

Hitnskins

Carlsbad,

I went to the Hitachi website and I couldn't find any models in the 50" to 58" inch range that handle 720p natively. The literature stated that they handle all inputs (480i,480p, 520p,720p,1080i) but that the only two output modes were 520p and 1080i. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Dolemite,

What model Hitachi are you looking at?

Originally posted by TheKurp

Carlsbad,

I went to the Hitachi website and I couldn't find any models in the 50" to 58" inch range that handle 720p natively. The literature stated that they handle all inputs (480i,480p, 520p,720p,1080i) but that the only two output modes were 520p and 1080i. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Dolemite,

What model Hitachi are you looking at?

I am really sorry , I thought for sure the Hitichi would handle 720p natively, My Bad :doh:

After going through three days of intense shopping, comparing, reading, learning, and headaches........I think that I have finally decided to head out this morning and buy either the Mitsubishi 55"(which is $2099) or either the Toshiba 57"($1999) or Toshiba 51"($1799)......

Any last opinions or suggestions???????

Dolemite,

I'd go with the Mitsubuishi. The biggest advantage I can see with this model is that you can easily perform a 64-point convergence (aligning the green, red, and blue guns). In addition to properly setting the grayscale, tint, brightness, and contrast (which you should only have to do once) the most important thing you'll need to periodically do to acheive the best picture is convergence. The best way to tell if you need to perform a convergence is to look at lettering on the tv screen (for instance the scores displayed on ESPN). You should not see any blue, green, or red on the edges of the letters.

Toshibas only offer a nine-point convergence off of the user menu. You can still perform a 64-point convergence but you need to get hold of a service manual and perform an array of remote control steps to access the service menu. The risk here is that you may accidentally erase factory settings for other aspects of the tv and they you're basically screwed; necessitating a call to a serviceman. In other words, doing a 64-point convergence on a Toshiba is a pain in the ass and fraught with peril.

One word of advice. Just perform the automatic convergence when the tv is first set up in your home. Then after about a 100 hours of viewing time you should perform the 64-point convergence, and then only after the tv has been on for a minimum of an hour or so.

Good luck with your purchase.

FanSince,

Let me get back to you on plasma tvs.

• 5 years later...

wow, this thread is old...I was searching for TV info...

I just bought a 40" Samsung 1080i LCD...from Sears at $749. I feel like I'm in a transe...even when it's off that thing is so damn pretty. This morning I caught some NFL Network in HD...even though it was Dallass and Philthy replay..wow...just wow.

wow, this thread is old...I was searching for TV info...

I just bought a 40" Samsung 1080i LCD...from Sears at $749. I feel like I'm in a transe...even when it's off that thing is so damn pretty. This morning I caught some NFL Network in HD...even though it was Dallass and Philthy replay..wow...just wow.

Just a question LJ, why didnt you purchase the 1080p one for $50 more from Sears?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05771068000P

Prices are down cause Panasonic is pushing their 2009 models due for release in mid-late March. Now wouldnt be a bad time to buy one actually.
Damm they are coming down quickly! I could probably get a 50 1080p for the same price I paid for my 42 720p in August 2007.

Damm they are coming down quickly! I could probably get a 50 1080p for the same price I paid for my 42 720p in August 2007.

Not all prices are coming down. About two weeks ago I priced at Samsung 40" at Sam's for $998. I actually took a picture of the price tag with the model number & the dimensions as I needed to see if I could fit a 40" into my existing wall unit.

A few days later, after not finding a stand for it, I happened to look online to see what Sam's had as far as a tv stand. And then I about ****. The same tv had went UP $200 bucks. I called the Sam's next to me at work the next day. I asked the manager that if I brought them proof that the tv was $200 less a few days ago if they'd they'd still honor that price. Luckily, he said he would.

And speaking of luck, I ended up getting the last one they had in stock.:)

What's your price range? Toshiba, Mitsu, and Pioneer are at the top for Plasma, but the leading LCD's in my opinion are Samsung, LG, and Sony. In that order.

Last year we purchased an above average tiered Samsung 46" (LNT4669 I believe) and it's ****ing sick. Amazon.com, $2000-flat. I would recommend this set to anyone looking for a picture that is honestly breath-taking. Also, and I **** you not, the Amazon delivery service was top-notch as well.

We have DirectTV and it's disgustingly wonderful, but I recommend FiOS as the primary carrier.

HDMI, HDMI, HDMI. Have all your interfaces be this. Now, I'll be honest the picture vs. Component or DVI is almost unnoticeable to the human eye when watching 780p or 1080i, but it's a must for 1080p. But remember, HDMI also carries audio and is superior to RCA's and Fiber IMO.

If you're going to research to the extent I did, scour http://www.avsforum.com/ they super-knowledgeable and have a TON of insight to pros and cons of all things AV. As for reviews, I trust www.cnet.com.

Lastly, I recommended Amazon.com as the best place to make large purchases with confidence online. If you see the TV you want for say $300 less somewhere else and you have the slightest doubt, DON'T DO IT. Trust me, $300 is nothing when it comes to consumer confidence. That **** is priceless.

What's your price range? Toshiba, Mitsu, and Pioneer are at the top for Plasma, but the leading LCD's in my opinion are Samsung, LG, and Sony. In that order.

Toshiba doesnt make a good plasma at all. Panasonic is WAAAAAAAYYYYY better. Hell, I'd even venture to say that Samsung Plasmas are better. Mitsubishi and Pioneer are overpriced for the average TV watcher.

Panasonic FTW!!!

And for LCD's, swap LG and Sony in order. LG has a great high end, but the rest are average TVs at best.

Toshiba doesnt make a good plasma at all. Panasonic is WAAAAAAAYYYYY better. Hell, I'd even venture to say that Samsung Plasmas are better. Mitsubishi and Pioneer are overpriced for the average TV watcher.

Panasonic FTW!!!

And for LCD's, swap LG and Sony in order. LG has a great high end, but the rest are average TVs at best.

You're right. I meant to say Panasonic, not Pioneer for Plasma, but their Elite series is silly. And I thought that Sony was getting a little too much credit for their picture because they were pioneering "new" technologies, that were inferior to tradition LCD (LCoS for example).

Point being, you have a Samsung LCD buyer for life with this guy right here. When it comes to finding a competitive television, it can be tough with all the choices out there. If you're happy with the first, and it just gets easier from there. Samsung over the first year of ownership has delivered.

Panasonic FTW!!!

Consumer report just rated some Samsung Plasma really high and a really good buy. 52 inch at about $1600. Sounds good to me...

Slacky, sounds like you work where you sale tv's or something??? I heard that Plasma sucks, that is why the prices went down. Any thoughts?

Plasmas got a bad rap because early in their models they tend to have a lot of burn in.

It is not so common now adays unless you leave your set on for a long time (on one image) or crank your brightness to 100 24/7.

I picked up a 50" Samsung 720p Plasma last week for around 800 shipped and it is far better for sports than my 40" 1080p Sony.

Archived