Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HDTV....I need some advice!

Hitnskins

Slacky, sounds like you work where you sale tv's or something??? I heard that Plasma sucks, that is why the prices went down. Any thoughts?

You heard wrong. Plasma's are very competitive with LCD's. It depends on your viewing environment which way is best to go. Plasma's are generally better in more light controlled rooms. LCD's tend to better in bright rooms.

I just stepped out into the HDTV world, as I bought a 47" LG (47LG70) on Saturday. I got a great deal (I think), and I really have no desire to leave the house now.

Slacky, being a resident TV expert, what do you think of LG?

my roommate bought a 42' LG lcd last year and I must say it did give off an impressive picture.

i think you get the most bang for your buck with LG's if you decide to go with an LCD

You heard wrong. Plasma's are very competitive with LCD's. It depends on your viewing environment which way is best to go. Plasma's are generally better in more light controlled rooms. LCD's to better in bright rooms.

Exactly. Plasma's are fine, they just got a bad rap because some of the early models did have some problems. There certainly are differences, you just have to find what type suits you best.

my roommate bought a 42' LG lcd last year and I must say it did give off an impressive picture.

i think you get the most bang for your buck with LG's if you decide to go with an LCD

I love mine so far, I had been looking for a while and thought the LG picture quality was superior and the features are consistent with pretty much everything else on the market.

Slacky, sounds like you work where you sale tv's or something??? I heard that Plasma sucks, that is why the prices went down. Any thoughts?

Yes, at Sears actually. I love Panasonic Plasmas, and I really hate how customers immediately take them off their list of possible TVs. Panasonic Plasmas are easily better than 75% of the LCDs out there right now.

Vizio is a great value. A LOT of people like Vizio for the price. They get a lot of high marks from many reports.

With the recent drop in LCD prices, their prices are no longer as low as they were when compared to other LCDs. You can now get a 40" Samsung for just a little more than the 42" Vizio. and a Panasonic Plasma 720p is LESS than a 42" Vizio Plasma.

Vizio has lost its edge in the market, they will soon begin to fall.

With the recent drop in LCD prices, their prices are no longer as low as they were when compared to other LCDs. You can now get a 40" Samsung for just a little more than the 42" Vizio. and a Panasonic Plasma 720p is LESS than a 42" Vizio Plasma.

Vizio has lost its edge in the market, they will soon begin to fall.

Yep. Vizio just announced that they're officially done with plasmas.

First... I love my Sony... I hear Sharp is really good and consumer reports rates them highly in the 50" range..

Hopefully Sharp fixes their banding problems they had in their larger sets 46" and up.

Decent picture but I passed on a 1k Sharp LCD 1080p 52 cuz the Samsung Plasma 50" 720p was so much better.

Vizio is a great value. A LOT of people like Vizio for the price. They get a lot of high marks from many reports.

I love my Vizio. It's a really nice LCD that i bought in November of '07. Pretty soon here it's gonna be time for another HDTV.

Yes, Samsung is the clear leader in the field, hands down. I think Sony is better than LG because they have a better overall model line. LG's higher ends are better than some of Sony's though.

Hey Slacky, I have been thinking of getting the Samsung 32 inch LCD HDTV for a few weeks now. I keep seeing prices on-line at Best Buy, Sears, etc, etc for right around $499.99. Looks like a great price. However, every store says "Sold Out" when you try and order it and have it picked up in the store. Instead, it must be shipped to you for $60. I don't want it shipped to me for $60, I want to just go pick it up for free.

What is up with that? Am I supposed to believe that this TV is really not avaliable in any story anywhere near me, or is this just an internet price that they don't want you to get in the store?

How much in store is the Samsung 32 720p selling for?

Hey Slacky, I have been thinking of getting the Samsung 32 inch LCD HDTV for a few weeks now. I keep seeing prices on-line at Best Buy, Sears, etc, etc for right around $499.99. Looks like a great price. However, every store says "Sold Out" when you try and order it and have it picked up in the store. Instead, it must be shipped to you for $60. I don't want it shipped to me for $60, I want to just go pick it up for free.

What is up with that? Am I supposed to believe that this TV is really not avaliable in any story anywhere near me, or is this just an internet price that they don't want you to get in the store?

How much in store is the Samsung 32 720p selling for?

Yeah, they are backordered for every store. That price has been there for the last 3 weeks. Its not a scam at all, Sears will have that price valid until the end of the month, not sure about Best Buy. Try getting a rain check from one of the stores. Some times if you make a big enough fuss they give in and will give you one.

I guess it would help to let you know that the reason is that the models are being closed out to make room for the new years models. And thats why the TV is $100 off everywhere.

Yes, at Sears actually. I love Panasonic Plasmas, and I really hate how customers immediately take them off their list of possible TVs. Panasonic Plasmas are easily better than 75% of the LCDs out there right now.

Not me! I think that they have great pictures.

I researched 'em like crazy and decided on a Panasonic. I just ordered the TH-50PZ80U.

$1,349.99 w/free shipping. Add $269.99 if you want the 4-year in-home warranty/service plan.

I can't wait 'til it get's here!!!

Yeah, they are backordered for every store. That price has been there for the last 3 weeks. Its not a scam at all, Sears will have that price valid until the end of the month, not sure about Best Buy. Try getting a rain check from one of the stores. Some times if you make a big enough fuss they give in and will give you one.

I guess it would help to let you know that the reason is that the models are being closed out to make room for the new years models. And thats why the TV is $100 off everywhere.

Cool. I started looking at Samsung because I saw people on here raving about it so much and the reviews on-line were the same.

So, in your opinion - if I am looking for an HDTV for under $700 (max), but preferably around $600 and size in the 32-42 range, is the Samsung 32in 720p the best value for the money? Is there anything else I should look at in my price range as well?

Thanks Extremeskins TV expert!

Not me! I think that they have great pictures.

I researched 'em like crazy and decided on a Panasonic. I just ordered the TH-50PZ80U.

$1,349.99 w/free shipping. Add $269.99 if you want the 4-year in-home warranty/service plan.

I can't wait 'til it get's here!!!

cancel your order and get the TH-50PZ800u. You will thank me later

:rotflmao:

The 800 is a great set dude, but unless you have a really keen ear for audio or are huge on color customization the PZ80U or PZ85U will be just fine.

Stick with the 80U Skinsfan1311.

this is true, but watching the 800u looks like watching a theatre screen. and when you watch blu ray's at 48hz the picture is so 3D looking that you feel like you can step into the picture.

as far as the audio, i don't use the stock speakers. i have it hooked up to surround sound.

Archived