Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HDTV....I need some advice!

Hitnskins

Also, Sears primary source of revenue now are their credit cards and not retail. That's a big reason why you're having trouble securing a low interest rate from them.

yeah, they are one of our bigger clients where I work. and we deal with their credit cards. In the 4 years I've dealt w/ them, and the 10 years I had a Sears card before that...their interest rate has always been 18-23%. That is why I haven't had a Sears bill in over 5 years, this is the first purchase I've made and put on credit. The ONLY reason is the 1 yr no interest....I can pay that off in a couple months.

Just be careful you are not making the assumption that because they can display 120MHZ signals is why the picture is better. Most times sets with this feature are high end panels. They look better regardless. I have read some people turn of the 120MHZ feature off and like the picture even better.

Interesting. I found some good deals on Amazon for 52'' Samsung LCD that runs 120hz for $1600

i know JMU Alum 07 doesnt like the 120 hz refresh rate as we've discussed it before

Pretty much, I'm not 100% sure if it's the refresh rate or the features with the fancy names the different manufacturers add to use with the refresh rate. (i.e. MotionFlow, etc.) These features make everything look like a soap opera - which means that a lot of television shows and all movies look a lot different than intended. A lot of people like the look but to me it makes anything but sports just look horrible - I like watching movies the way I would see them at the theater . . . the 120hz features make everything look fake as far as movement is concerned.

See thats the thing. We are use to movie pictures and shows which don't feature realistic filming. 120HZ looks like a reality show or a home film. You feel as it is right in front of you.

. . . and films weren't meant to be viewed in that way - if you want your movies to look like home movies that's fine with me, everyone has their preference. However, I don't see the purpose of a home "theater" if the movie looks completely different than it does if you go down to the local cinema.

If you don't really care about that sort of thing then I can see why it wouldn't bother you.

See thats the thing. We are use to movie pictures and shows which don't feature realistic filming. 120HZ looks like a reality show or a home film. You feel as it is right in front of you.

if you get a plasma that has 24p capability you can playback your blu rays at 48hz. This is the exact frame rate that movies are shot and projected at in movie theatres.

When watching a blu ray at 48hz you get the 3D feel and as if the movie is happening right in front of you as well.

if you get a plasma that has 24p capability you can playback your blu rays at 48hz. This is the exact frame rate that movies are shot and projected at in movie theatres.

When watching a blu ray at 48hz you get the 3D feel and as if the movie is happening right in front of you as well.

Interesting. great tip!

The major gripe with 120Hz refresh is something called TBE, or triple ball effect. This effect introduces "tracers" in faster moving action scenes, but only can notice it in the a the most intense 120HZ mode select. My television has a feature in which you can do a side by side comparison of each mode against the off setting. I typically keep mine on Low, and it's again, the sickness. Noticeably better than with it off.

However, Samsung at least, releases firmware updates that you can literally plug a USB into and download the newest FW which corrects the issue to the limits of their releasable technology. Pretty sweet if you can notice the effect and it bothers you IMO.

The Sony Bravia XBR series is by far the best LCD on the market. I have had mine now for over 2 years and it is ridiculous. I get a lot of wow's when I have people over for the games and I would never buy anything other than Sony. I am looking at the new 46 Bravia XBR 6. Looks like I can get it for around 2k. Simply amazing.

The Sony Bravia XBR series is by far the best LCD on the market. I have had mine now for over 2 years and it is ridiculous. I get a lot of wow's when I have people over for the games and I would never buy anything other than Sony. I am looking at the new 46 Bravia XBR 6. Looks like I can get it for around 2k. Simply amazing.

Samsung 850, take a look at it and you will forget everything that is Sony XBR. The TV has an amazing picture, and the frame is about 2" thick.

I have been wanting to get a 52 inch, but for an apartment, I think that may just be too much. But bigger is better right? I am considering getting perhaps a 47 inch instead.

Can anyone give me advice on the size i should chose.

Whats your viewing distance?

Heres what I tell customers. Go to the store and walk off about where you are gonna be sitting. If you can see the entire TV, edge to edge, without moving your eyes then the TV will fit. A good chart to follow would be:

40": 8'-10'

46": 10'-12'

52": 12'-15'

Archived