Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: Ravens-Redskins divide in Maryland

MattFancy

You are correct. More specifically, the divide is on the Columbia/Laurel line. Roughly, Columbia and to the northeast is ravens territory, Laurel and to the southwest is redskins land. Someone drew a fan map in an old thread illustrating this pretty accurately.Its kind a diagonal line that's downward sloping from northwestern Maryland, and it crosses right in between Columbia and Laurel. That's if you really want to get specific, haha.

I agree, between the two Columbia is more Ravens and Laurel is more Redskins. Take a look at Columbia Mall. However, definitely a good amount of each. If you look at my previous post in this thread (in my awesome letter to this douche columnist), you'll see a fan census map that shows the 'territory' for each team in the U.S., with over 31,000 votes it's probably pretty accurate. it's cool to see how far Skins territory goes down the Carolina coast.

If you look at my previous post in this thread (in my awesome letter to this douche columnist), you'll see a fan census map

You do know that the "douche columnist" was writing a tongue-in-cheek dry humor article, poking fun at the political bureau of the Sunpapers, which was trying some stretched logic to correlate fans' team support to team preferences. The only semi-serious part of the article was his 4 person family dividing 3:1 Ravens;Redskins, with the one about to move away.

Up here in Perryville, MD It is Eagles, Steelers, RAVENS, Even Ex COLTS and New COLTS fans... etc... Actually a melting pot of sorts!. The greatest thing is REDSKIN FANS TOO!!! There are actually a good few around and we all seem to find each other, especially at a good bar in Perryville called the Rendevous. Actually all NFL games shown here and great drink specials. Seems Ravens fans up here could care less about Redskins unless some game has an impact on them ! lol I think this is the Northern boundary!

Up here in Perryville, MD It is Eagles, Steelers, RAVENS, Even Ex COLTS and New COLTS fans... etc... Actually a melting pot of sorts!. The greatest thing is REDSKIN FANS TOO!!! There are actually a good few around and we all seem to find each other, especially at a good bar in Perryville called the Rendevous. Actually all NFL games shown here and great drink specials. Seems Ravens fans up here could care less about Redskins unless some game has an impact on them ! lol I think this is the Northern boundary!

Wow, it's like the Switzerland of football fans.

That "weird time" was any time before 1995 or so. Almost everyone here grew up with the Redskins and Orioles representing the entire region.

That's what you think. What good has come out of Maryland?

Crabcakes and football? wait, minus the football part. how about just crabcakes?

i'm living in NC. Hoodies and pumpkins, that was NC does!

I live in Columbia/Ellicott City and there are many true statements in this thread.

Many Ravens fans have an extreme dislike or hatred of the Redskins. Redskins fans for the most part could care less about the Ravens, unless (like me) you've become sick of the **** talking so now you actually hate the Ravens (not because of the team itself, but solely due to the fans- I actually respect their philosphies and many of their players and staff, but many of their fans just ruin it for me).

In my estimation it's maybe 70-30 Ravens-Redskins fans here.

Despite the geographic location between DC and Baltimore, albeit closer to Baltimore, many Ravens fans cannot understand why everyone doesn't root for the "home team". :rolleyes:

In the local Giant grocery store EVERYTHING is purple. I'm talking shopping baskets, trim in the store, employee badges, checkout lines. **** purple. Now that pisses me off.

A small population, but of the guys on my street, there are 1 Redskins fan, 1 Cowgirls fan, 1 fairly casual Ravens fan, 1 guy who roots mostly for the Ravens but likes the Redskins too, 1 guy who likes the Giants but roots for the Ravens. The 2 most passionate about their teams being the Redskins fan (me) and the Cowgirls fan.

These types of polls should include only true fans of teams, not bandwagon hoppers who jump ship when their team hits a rough period. I don't care about these fans because as soon as the Redskins are doing well and the Ravens (or whoever) suck, they will go out and buy a Redskins shirt.

My son wears his Redskins gear all the time. There are actually quite a few in his school as well. On "Purple Day" he shows up entirely in burgundy and gold. Same for his sister. My children will never, EVER be caught in purple Ratbirds gear.

I grew up a Skins fan, my parents were Skins fans, my grandparents were Skins fans as are my uncles, aunts, and cousins. My children are Skins fans and my grandchildren will also be Skins fans.

IT IS IN OUR DNA.

You are north of Baltimore, not surprising there a lot of Ravens fans. I know for a fact that you are VERY close to Eagles territory. I would say Newark, Delaware, where UD is is most definitely Eagles territory already. And thats only a few mile further up 95.

Not quite. I grew up in between the two cities and became a sports fan before the Ravens or Nationals existed. My family always supported both the Orioles and Redskins. Both teams have proud traditions making them easy to root for, despite their recent failures.

Dont even attempt to have a rational discussion about this with Mooney.

I live in Columbia/Ellicott City and there are many true statements in this thread.

Many Ravens fans have an extreme dislike or hatred of the Redskins.

Very true. I don’t think most Skins fans appreciate just how much Raven fans hate our Skins. It’s a radical, irrational hatred. It’s part of what makes me unable to root for the Orioles, to be honest. The thought of agreeing with those nuts on anything sports-related terrifies me.

Funny how the Sun tends to run articles or polls like this pretty regularly, yet it is pretty rare to find one in the Post....like they have to continually redeem themselves or something...

I live and work in the "border counties" of Anne Arundel and Howard, and the split is pretty even in terms of real football fans. The bandwagoners who lean towards whoever is doing better seem to make it swing one way or the other, which explains why the Ratbirds have had an edge most of the last decade or so. Like TLC said, I like how the organization is run, but the way the majority of their fans act, especially towards the Redskins has made me hate their team....although I do know a few Raven fans that are die-hards, but have nothing against the Skins and will even support them also, so I try not to despise them quite as much...lol

I'd be interested in seeing a similar poll including Cowgirls and Steelers fans....they both seem to be all over the place...

Ravens fans are seriously absurd. The hatred they have for the skins is insane. I liked baltimore till recently, when I moved to MD. I cannot stand the ravens now, the uncalled for hatred of the skins yet representation of the wizards and captials....it makes no sense. Thank god baseball is a terrible hobby so I don't have to cheer the putrid orioles or the washington expos

Archived