Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: Ravens-Redskins divide in Maryland

MattFancy

It was weird for me because in my childhood started with Skins/O's and ended in high school with having both the Nats and the Ravens. I could have chose to convert to the respective teams but stayed with the Skins/O's combo. There are a lot of people my age from my area who jumped onto the Ravens bandwagon but I was not one of them, obviously.

Pretty much the same thing with me. I was about 8 years old I think when the Ravens came to Baltimore. I grew in Columbia, MD which only about a 15-20 minute drive from Baltimore. Thankfully, I was already a Redskins fan and had no interest in converting. Like you, the Orioles are my team as well. I went to high school in Baltimore and was surrounded by Ravens fans, which sucked but I held strong.

I'm also a huge Caps fans and if Baltimore ever got a hockey team I would never convert. Once I become I fan of a team there's no turning back. Hail!

I was just listening to my friend talk about how the 49ers suck so badly and how he might decide to not be a 49ers fan anymore. It baffles me. I don't have a switch teams button. There's no such thing as a conversion. I can't take the Redskins off when they are doing bad and put them back on when they are doing good. It would almost feel morally wrong. First team is the only team.

This pseudo-morally wrong type feeling is the same feeling I feel that these native DC area Dallas fans should have.

Finally I'd love to know exactly which side of Maryland these 789 people who were polled live. Regardless 789 is less than 1% of over 5 million.

Pretty much the same thing with me. I was about 8 years old I think when the Ravens came to Baltimore. I grew in Columbia, MD which only about a 15-20 minute drive from Baltimore. Thankfully, I was already a Redskins fan and had no interest in converting. Like you, the Orioles are my team as well. I went to high school in Baltimore and was surrounded by Ravens fans, which sucked but I held strong.

I'm also a huge Caps fans and if Baltimore ever got a hockey team I would never convert. Once I become I fan of a team there's no turning back. Hail!

Redskins/O's fans FTW!!!!

I remember Sports Illustrated doing a similar poll back in 2000 and the Redskins were the more favorite team in Maryland. Living pretty much in between the two cities, I saw all of the bandwagon jumpers go to the Ravens side after their Superbowl win, thus causing my hatred for the Ravens.

Is it wrong that I hate the Ravens more than the Cowboys, or get almost as much joy out of watching the Ravens lose as I do watching the skins win?

Its just where and when I grew up, I suppose

Hey guys, don't worry. I gave him a piece of my mind. Check out this e-mail I sent to Mr. Peter Schmuck....

Hey Schmuck,

What is the deal with your recent article on the Redskins-Ravens poll? I must say, it is a very interesting topic indeed, but because the poll was conducted through the Baltimore Sun, it immediately became discredited. Obviously, the majority of Suns subscribers are Ravens fans, and the only reason I discovered this article in the first place was through a Redskins fan forum (http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?337356-Baltimore-Sun-Ravens-Redskins-divide-in-Maryland). Living in Takoma Park, MARYLAND, I get the Post, and would not have known anything about this poll if it wasn't for this fan forum.

I'm not trying to tell you what to write and what not to write, but don't you see it a bit juvenile to take a biased poll and then make erroneous claims.... such as "I would have also added "The Redskins in the Super Bowl? Are you kidding?" but was not allowed any input into the process." (not saying they will make it, but you do realize that the Ravens barely beat the Bills in OT, and if you didn't, we'd have the same record). Your co-worker Julie Bykowicz chipped in with "Both candidates have closer ties to the Ravens. Ehrlich, who played ball at Princeton, grew up in and represented Baltimore County as a delegate and a member of Congress. O'Malley was mayor of Baltimore when the team won the 2001 Superbowl, though he grew up in Montgomery County, Redskins territory."

How does being mayor of Baltimore automatically make O'Malley a Ravens fan? Not to mention that he grew up in Montgomery County during all THREE of the Redskins' Super Bowl victories. If I were elected mayor of Baltimore, I'd still be a Skins fan regardless if the Ravens won a Super Bowl during my tenure, because we don't "change teams" like that. That's not how it works. Also, check the Post and see if they write any similar articles. I bet you won't find any. You know why? because frankly, we don't give a damn about the Ravens or any made up 'Ravens-Redskins rivalry'. We'd rather focus on the NFC East. I went to school in Towson and it seems as if Ravens fans overcompensate, maybe some kind of inferiority complex or something... normally, I wouldn't be this irate about some biased Sun article, but I believe you all crossed a line. I don't doubt the Ravens holding a large amount of Maryland territory. However, you simply cannot claim the State of Maryland as Ravens country. That's like saying California is just for the 49ers or New Jersey is all Giants. If you want to include counties, you'd have to throw in Frederick, Washington, Charles, St. Mary's, and Calvert counties as clear Redskins territory. Eastern Shore is mostly Ravens, with Redskins fans too. Howard and Anne Arundel are about 60-40 Ravens, most people would agree. Not to mention, counties such as Cecil are Eagles territory and Garrett/Allegany counties host your beloved Steelers. If you want a better sample number (over 31,000) and less biased results, just go to this Sports Census map.... http://www.commoncensus.org/sports_map.php?sport=1. As a Geography Major, I'm more than familiar with these types of studies. I'll be more than happy to hear your response.

Yours,

Matt F.

I live in Anne Arundel county and from my personal experience, it is pretty split. The more north you go, the more Ravens fans. Further south (and West), the more Skins fans you will find.

The one consistent thing I have found overall is that most Ravens fans HATE the Skins, while most Skins fans are pretty much ambivalent about the Ravens.

Are you older or younger? WHen i was in high school ANne Arundel County is noticeably skins dominated but probly only by 60-40... and that wasn't too long ago

or be wearing a black heavy metal t-shirt from some 80's band.

HEY, I take offense to this statement! :silly:

I can tell you this much, the Ravens don't own Charles, Calvert or St. Mary's Counties. There are definitely more Redskins fans in this part of the state then Ravens fans, (or any other team for that matter.) The Ravens fans down here ***** and moan incessantly about that fact. North of Washington, I'm sure it's a mix, but Southern Maryland definitely supports the Skins. Of course, you still have your band wagon Cowboys and Steelers fans just like everywhere else down here, but they are more of a nuisance then anything.

I always find it amusing when people talk about the Redskins-Ravens rivalry. I don't give a **** about the Ravens. Apparently, however, a lot of Ravens fans care a lot about the Redskins.

I believe this is the general consensus, but when I bring it up to Ravens fans it's as if they don't know what I'm talking about. They seem to think we care? don't bother arguing with them. It only goes in circles.

Not that I like to defend them...but what about the ones that are older than you, supported the Colts, and then waited for a team for 10+ years? I think they have a legitimate claim to be Ravens fans.
That's marginally acceptable in my book. If the 'Skins ever moved out of DC, I'd follow them to whatever city they went to.

Nice. Has Maryland embraced the Ravens that much? Down here in VA, I do not know one Ravens fan.

Yea people often forget our Metro area is DC, MD ANNNNNNNNNNNND VA. VA tends to have a lot of wack a** cowboy fans. Heavy Redskins fanbase in VA though. We do we always get left out? Sheesh.

HAIL!

I see more Steeler fans than Ravens fans in Frederick County.

Western Maryland is pretty much all Black and Gold. Ratbirds have a small market.

Yep, far western Maryland is already Steelers country, believe it or not. The article didnt touch on that, but they are closer to Pittsburgh than baltimore or DC in places like Deep Creek Lake.

Ravens fans have an inferiority complex.

They do not have a huge fan base nor do they have a rich history like the Redskins. Therefore, they try real hard to put down the Burgundy and Gold in order to make themselves feel better.

I do business with a sports memorabilia company in Maryland. The owners claim that the majority of their business comes from Redskin fans. The Steeler fans make up the second highest sales while the CowTurds fans come in at 3rd.

If I do root for an AFC team it is generally the Ravens and the Titans (wife being from Tenn.). This doesn't really bother me too much. It's nice having great sports teams in our area so I am not going to complain a bit. That would be a crazy superbowl, specially if Snyder got his wish and we were able to host it at Fed EX

Repeat this poll again when the Ravens go 4-12 and the Redskins go 12-4 and I bet there will be a different outcome. Its obvious being so close to Baltimore that ever since the Ravens started improving their has been alot more support

I wanted to read through the entire thread before posting exactly what you did.

Archived