Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: Ravens-Redskins divide in Maryland

MattFancy

Yea people often forget our Metro area is DC, MD ANNNNNNNNNNNND VA. VA tends to have a lot of wack a** cowboy fans. Heavy Redskins fanbase in VA though. We do we always get left out? Sheesh.

HAIL!

This is true; especially, I've noticed, in the 757 and other parts of southern Virginia. There are a lot of hard core Redskins fan still in the Old Dominion State.

I'm from Silver Spring and I grew up in a weird time where the O's were still DC's baseball team and there were no Ravens/ The Ravens were brand new.

Since that time when the Ravens starting having success and the O's became terrible seems like people have really caught on to the Ravens. They have also had some time to build up an identity so, I'm not surprised by this.

I don't see much Ravens gear in Silver Spring at all. Lots of Skins gear, though. I'm referring mainly to downtown Silver Spring and the immediate area. I can't really speak to the far reaches of Silver Spring.

Montgomery County definately holds it down for the Skins. My Moms family live in Calvert and it's definitely 50/50 there but plenty of Skins fans. Maryland is still Skins country. A lot of people follow whoever is winning, start winning again and all of a sudden Skins fans will be coming out of the woodwork. Who cares about the Ravens, honestly? Not I.

Oh, and for the record, I go to graduate school in downtown Baltimore(about 3 blocks from M&T Bank Stadium actually) and I see plenty of Redskins gear every time I go to class (and often wear my own).

I'm born and raised here in Ellicott City, 20-25 mins from Baltimore and see many Skins fans at my college. Plus there are so many Skins fanas down in St. Mary's county! Our fanbase is so much smarter then the the ravens! HTTR!

Where in Ellicott City? What high school did you go to?

I see your point, but I disagree with it. The Red Sox aren't an expansion team that Pats' fans got to choose as they arrived in Boston. I grew up as a baseball fan and my dad's team was the Orioles. There was not a Washington team in the area, therefore I made a logical choice. Your other two examples are pretty much the same.

I see your point, but I disagree with it. The Red Sox aren't an expansion team that Pats' fans got to choose as they arrived in Boston. I grew up as a baseball fan and my dad's team was the Orioles. There was not a Washington team in the area, therefore I made a logical choice. Your other two examples are pretty much the same.

Just some friendly advice, it doesn't matter how logical your points are when you enter into this debate with some Nats fans on the board (admittedly, I don't remember if Mooney is one of them). To some people, if you don't represent the city you live in at all costs, you're somehow a bandwagon fan (even if you're cheering for the Orioles).

Believe me, anyone using logic and objectivity would understand that the Orioles represented the entire region for decades. Some Nats fans won't understand how one couldn't turn off their loyalties the second a team was established closer to home.

Tons of Ravens fans in Anne Arundel Co. I moved here from PG in 1999. Ravens fans are virtually non-existent in PG co. The only team I hate more than the Ravens is the Cowgirls. I HATE both of these teams with a passion. The fans are half the reason why I hate the Ravens so much. Ignorant, Baltimoron, white trash. I used to work in Pasadena (dirty-dena) and thats like the epicenter of Raven fans I hated it.

Most arguments I got from Ratbird fans was that Skins were DC not MD therefore Ravens were Maryland's team, well DC is IN Maryland and FedEx is in Landover,MD so stfu we were here first.

HAIL!

Same here...I'd follow the franchise wherever they went unless I knew Snyder was taking them somewhere (without the name/history) and we'd get an expansion team like Cleveland...

I've said it before, and I'm sure it's true...if anyone, ANYONE, moves the 'Skins, there will be riots, and the person responsible will die a slow, painful death.

Redskins/Orioles is the same as Patriots/Yankees. or Steelers/Phillies. Or Bengals/Indians.

Not quite. I grew up in between the two cities and became a sports fan before the Ravens or Nationals existed. My family always supported both the Orioles and Redskins. Both teams have proud traditions making them easy to root for, despite their recent failures.

The dividing line seems to be Columbia, Maryland.

Go to a concert at Merriweather Post Pavilion and you'll see lots of Ravens jersies.

You are correct. More specifically, the divide is on the Columbia/Laurel line. Roughly, Columbia and to the northeast is ravens territory, Laurel and to the southwest is redskins land. Someone drew a fan map in an old thread illustrating this pretty accurately.Its kind a diagonal line that's downward sloping from northwestern Maryland, and it crosses right in between Columbia and Laurel. That's if you really want to get specific, haha.

It is sort of a misleading survey... it is not asking who your favorite team is -- it is asking who you would root for if these particular two teams met in the superbowl. That means every NY, Philly, Texas trasnplant (which we unfortunately have TONS of) will say the Ravens. I guess the Pittsburgh transplants might say Redskins -- but they are more likely to say "neither." The Redskins have been around longer and developed more enemies historically than the Ravens.

Archived