Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun: Ravens-Redskins divide in Maryland

MattFancy

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-schmuck-column-1027-20101026,0,7987268.column

"Imagine for a moment that the Redskins and Ravens were to meet in the Super Bowl. If that happened, who would you root for?"

The 798 respondents were asked to answer Ravens, Redskins or Not Sure. I would have also added "The Redskins in the Super Bowl? Are you kidding?" but was not allowed any input into the process.

The overall results were not particularly surprising. The Ravens were named by 51 percent of the polling group. The Redskins were named by 31 percent. Only five percent were unsure, though 12 percent of the respondents volunteered that they don't care at all and nine people (less than one percent) said they would root for both. The poll had a a margin of error of 3.5 percentage points.

There was nothing too counterintuitive about any of that. The Ravens are more likely to be considered Maryland's team and are favored heavily throughout most of the state. The Redskins are considered Washington's team and are dominant in Montgomery and Prince Georges Counties.

Though there was no breakdown for Anne Arundel County, a small sampling I took myself in my own home showed 75 percent in favor of the Ravens and only 25 percent for the Redskins, and the 25 percent will soon be moving to California. I think that's pretty definitive, but I'm getting some heat for my methodology.

If you want some real food for thought, the most interesting demographic was educational background, which showed that the preference for the Redskins went up steadily along with the level of academic achievement. Only 21 percent of respondents with a high school diploma or less favored the 'Skins, but the number jumped to 33 percent for fans with a college degree and 40 percent among fans who attended graduate school.

So its official, Redskins fans are smarter than Ravens fans lol

I live in Anne Arundel county and from my personal experience, it is pretty split. The more north you go, the more Ravens fans. Further south (and West), the more Skins fans you will find.

The one consistent thing I have found overall is that most Ravens fans HATE the Skins, while most Skins fans are pretty much ambivalent about the Ravens.

I'm from Silver Spring and I grew up in a weird time where the O's were still DC's baseball team and there were no Ravens/ The Ravens were brand new.

Since that time when the Ravens starting having success and the O's became terrible seems like people have really caught on to the Ravens. They have also had some time to build up an identity so, I'm not surprised by this.

I'm from Silver Spring and I grew up in a weird time where the O's were still DC's baseball team and there were no Ravens/ The Ravens were brand new.

Since that time when the Ravens starting having success and the O's became terrible seems like people have really caught on to the Ravens. They have also had some time to build up an identity so, I'm not surprised by this.

That "weird time" was any time before 1995 or so. Almost everyone here grew up with the Redskins and Orioles representing the entire region.

State isn't yours to give away.

That's what you think. What good has come out of Maryland?

Don't let any Raven's fan that isn't from Baltimore or Baltimore County and is my age or older try to convince you they are a "true" football fan.

Despite the fact that I've lived in MD my entire life, the thought never crossed my mind to switch allegiances to the Ravens when they came in 1996.

Don't let any Raven's fan that isn't from Baltimore or Baltimore County and is my age or older try to convince you they are a "true" football fan.

Despite the fact that I've lived in MD my entire life, the thought never crossed my mind to switch allegiances to the Ravens when they came in 1996.

Not that I like to defend them...but what about the ones that are older than you, supported the Colts, and then waited for a team for 10+ years? I think they have a legitimate claim to be Ravens fans.

Repeat this poll again when the Ravens go 4-12 and the Redskins go 12-4 and I bet there will be a different outcome. Its obvious being so close to Baltimore that ever since the Ravens started improving their has been alot more support

That "weird time" was any time before 1995 or so. Almost everyone here grew up with the Redskins and Orioles representing the entire region.

That's what you think. What good has come out of Maryland?

It was weird for me because in my childhood started with Skins/O's and ended in high school with having both the Nats and the Ravens. I could have chose to convert to the respective teams but stayed with the Skins/O's combo. There are a lot of people my age from my area who jumped onto the Ravens bandwagon but I was not one of them, obviously.

Archived