Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

These new suspension rules, Laron Landry'd better be careful

justice98

Why don't they just start playing flag football because that is where they are headed. The majority of fans & players don't want to see anyone get seriously injured, but unfortunately that is sometimes part of the game & players understand this when they enter the league. Also people fail to realize that spearing (leading with your head) has been against the rules for years & for years hasn't been enforced by the officials. Also facemask to facemask contact should not be considered helmet to helmet. I just hope that the people who run the NFL don't start running anymore sports. Can you image cars going 25 mph at Indy & Daytona because speed is dangerous; No more board checks in the NHL because it might leave a bruise; & can you image going to Yankee Stadium to watch a Wiffle Ball game because they decided that a baseball is too hard & could hurt somebody. Remember people the NFL is the league that made endzone celebrations illegal for the simple fact that it might hurt the other teams feelings.

I want to point out that there are remarkably few helmet-to-helmet penalties called during a game.

If it isn't being penalized very often, then players won't be suspended very often.

As of right now, I don't think there has been a single helmet-to-helmet penalty called in any of our games.

While I understand the rule, I'm weary of it. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those judegement calls from whoever is reviewing these. I give it a week or two til some player gets suspended and causes a big old controversy. This benefits the offense surely as well. Forcing those defensive players to potentially hesitate a tad to maybe get in a better position. Curious to see this rule in effect. I'm all about player safety but this rule has me worried a bit.

"What we're trying to make sure our players understand is that you should know the rules," Anderson said. "The coaches know the rules, the players should know the rules. And so if you are in violations of the rules -- particularly one of those trying to protect against head, neck injuries -- we're going to hold you to a higher standard."

Anderson said there is no intent to change any rules. "We are just going to enforce the existing rules much more to the letter of the law so we can protect our players," he said.

"If it's an illegal hit under the rules, then you're going to be held accountable. We get the pushback all the time that, 'What's a defender to do?' Well, we, in these situations, have to say the defender has to adjust his target area. The player has to wrap up. He has to do the things more fundamentally that we used to do ... when we used to tackle back in the day. We would like them to do more of that. But with the seriousness of the head and neck trauma and concussions generally, we've got a responsibility to just make sure that players understand and adapt."

Rest of article http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b732df/article/anderson-on-flagrant-hits-no-new-rules-just-more-enforcement?module=HP_headlines

I think this along with the suspensions should solve the problems no need to tweak the rule.

That hit on TH was a prime example of what should justify a game suspension. I still don't think the hit on DJax would warrant a game suspension. I just didnt' see where he deliberately went H2H on him. It was a violent impact of 2 grown men running full speed at each other, and 1 of them was not in a position to defend himself, thus making it look even more violent. If i'm DJax, i'm more pissed at my QB for stringing me out there, than I am at the DB doing his job.

See this is where the issue comes. Helmet to helmet seems clear and obvious when it happens.

Now a play like Robinson taking out Jackson wasn't helmet to helmet, but it was a defender attempting a "devastating hit" against a somewhat defenseless receiver. Should the QB have throw the pass? Probably not. Should the receiver know better? Probably.

But the defender has a choice to not run full speed leading with his shoulder against a guy who's head is turned away. Robinson could have gone for the ball or held up and made wrap up play instead. Don't tell me Robinson didn't plan on "devastating" Jackson. He's running full speed with his shoulder ready to hit.

The players need to use some common sense and have some respect for a fellow players. 95% of the time those hits and plays are on meaningless or low impact plays. If the result is more freedom for the offensive players, so be it. That will apply to all the teams.

See this is where the issue comes. Helmet to helmet seems clear and obvious when it happens.

Now a play like Robinson taking out Jackson wasn't helmet to helmet, but it was a defender attempting a "devastating hit" against a somewhat defenseless receiver. Should the QB have throw the pass? Probably not. Should the receiver know better? Probably.

But the defender has a choice to not run full speed leading with his shoulder against a guy who's head is turned away. Robinson could have gone for the ball or held up and made wrap up play instead. Don't tell me Robinson didn't plan on "devastating" Jackson. He's running full speed with his shoulder ready to hit.

The players need to use some common sense and have some respect for a fellow players. 95% of the time those hits and plays are on meaningless or low impact plays. If the result is more freedom for the offensive players, so be it. That will apply to all the teams.

The NFL spokesperson retracted the "devastating hit" statement.

What you're suggesting, that a defensive player shouldn't run full speed, is ridiculous and I hope that never happens.

As I understood it, it won't just be suspensions for helmet to helmet hits. They are saying all hits that are violent. To me, it sounded like they are saying you can't tee off on an offensive player anymore. Almost like the strict rules for sacking a QB, but for everyone.

They teach us since we're 5 years old to separate the receiver from the ball though. Half of these NFL receivers still make the catch when you hit them your hardest(think Sean Taylor knocking off the Jaguars WR helmet in the endzone), so this rule is just making it that much harder on the defense to do their job.

As I understood it, it won't just be suspensions for helmet to helmet hits. They are saying all hits that are violent. To me, it sounded like they are saying you can't tee off on an offensive player anymore. Almost like the strict rules for sacking a QB, but for everyone.

Nope, it's just flagrant launching at the head of a receiver.

The NFL spokesperson retracted the "devastating hit" statement.

What you're suggesting, that a defensive player shouldn't run full speed, is ridiculous and I hope that never happens.

So why couldn't Robinson run full speed in the other direction to intercept the pass? Or another direction to defend the pass. Why was the only direction he could have run directly through Jackson?

I don't understand why these hits are inevitable?

Player safety is very important, but this can be perverted into a "witch hunt" for some players.

Now, on the other hand, lets say Baltimore's Ray Lewis is going to make a clean tackle; everyone knows he is a physical hard hitting and wise player, so whats the best way to neutralize him; have a RB run towards him, and as he lowers to make the tackle, the RB lowers his head as well, and its an automatic helmet to helmet hit, which gets him kicked out of the game. and we all have seen where some players exaggerate being hit { kickers especially} it will only make it look worse than what it is.

Some players will have huge targets on their backs, and unjustly so...

This is EXACTLY what I'm worried about. If they start regulating "hard hits" then they might as well just pull the defense off the field and let the other team run free.

Anybody suggesting the defensive player shouldn't be running "full speed" or should slow down before making a hit has obviously never played defense. If you try and slow down before making a hit, you're going to either be injured, run over, or both. So, you're just leaving the defensive player to get hurt as opposed to the offensive player. I'm just telling you, the guy that hits hard is going 100% (Ray Lewis, Landry, Brandon Jacobs, Ryan Torain) regardless of what side of the ball he's on, and regardless of how hard his hits look. If he's not going 100% on every tackle, he shouldn't be starting and he should be chewed out by his coach. That's when you get guys like Roy Williams horse collar tackling, or Deion Sanders diving for everyone's legs all the time.

Doing that completely neutralizes the defense.

Intentional helmet to helmet SHOULD be regulated tighter, those are where most of the injuries are coming from, not "hard hits".

So why couldn't Robinson run full speed in the other direction to intercept the pass? Or another direction to defend the pass. Why was the only direction he could have run directly through Jackson?

That's how you tackle. Was he supposed to run a circle around Jackson and try and hug him to the ground?

If he thought he could have picked the pass off, Robinson hasn't ever been shy about trying for the INT, so I'm fairly sure he would have. He was hitting a defenseless receiver, which IS a rule, and like most people have said, if it's helmet to helmet, then it should be regulated. The league has suspended people for such things before, but not for "hitting hard" or running "full speed" to make a tackle.

NFL just announce that Meriweather's hit was flagrant enough to earn a suspension. So the bar's pretty high, player's don't really need to worry about getting suspended unless they intentionally go for the head full force.

Meriweather did get fined $50k though, which is almost 10% of his salary (and a much greater percentage after taxes).

Ironic that FINALLY the Redskins begin playing special teams and defense, creating turnovers through solid legal tackling, and now they want to regulate the intensity of a football player; ****, why not just put dresses on EVERYONE and let them play tag or flag football?

I'm for a players' safety, and surely don't want to see anyone be permanently injured, not even a damn Cowboy player, but until someone can come up with some form of design change to the gear the players wear, its inevitable that someone will be injured; naturally you cannot hold a 260 lb LB accountable because a 170 lb PR guy comes running his way and gets plowed, or do they want the LB to simply hold his hand up like a traffic cop and say " ok, you have to stop there".

There's both sides to this, and unfortunately, whichever way the league goes, it will tick off people...

Landry hits hard, but it's more with the shoulder not spearing like Mark Carrier.

Concussions are more likely to happen because a player bounces his head off the turf due to a hard hit that made him collapse like a rag doll or a hit that drives the jaw up causing the brain to bounce around in the head.

Concussions are more likely to happen because a player bounces his head off the turf due to a hard hit that made him collapse like a rag doll or a hit that drives the jaw up causing the brain to bounce around in the head.

I never, ever wish harm on a football player (wasn't pissed about Vick getting the crap knocked out of him, though. Karma), but if this is a fear, then don't play the game. I can understand hits, but falling down? I'm not buying that one.

This rule is very dangerous for Landry if they'll start flagging every hard hit. Look at half of the hits in this video from Landry's first season:

A lot of those would've gotten a suspension under this rule.

If you don't want to get hurt, then don't play the game. Helmet-to-helmet is one thing, but hard hits? This is football. Can't wait to see headgear in boxing.

This is EXACTLY what I'm worried about. If they start regulating "hard hits" then they might as well just pull the defense off the field and let the other team run free.

Anybody suggesting the defensive player shouldn't be running "full speed" or should slow down before making a hit has obviously never played defense. If you try and slow down before making a hit, you're going to either be injured, run over, or both. So, you're just leaving the defensive player to get hurt as opposed to the offensive player. I'm just telling you, the guy that hits hard is going 100% (Ray Lewis, Landry, Brandon Jacobs, Ryan Torain) regardless of what side of the ball he's on, and regardless of how hard his hits look. If he's not going 100% on every tackle, he shouldn't be starting and he should be chewed out by his coach. That's when you get guys like Roy Williams horse collar tackling, or Deion Sanders diving for everyone's legs all the time.

Doing that completely neutralizes the defense.

Intentional helmet to helmet SHOULD be regulated tighter, those are where most of the injuries are coming from, not "hard hits".

That's how you tackle. Was he supposed to run a circle around Jackson and try and hug him to the ground?

If he thought he could have picked the pass off, Robinson hasn't ever been shy about trying for the INT, so I'm fairly sure he would have. He was hitting a defenseless receiver, which IS a rule, and like most people have said, if it's helmet to helmet, then it should be regulated. The league has suspended people for such things before, but not for "hitting hard" or running "full speed" to make a tackle.

Wow. Get off the soap box. Nobody is saying tackle at 75%. Nobody is saying don't let the defense tackle. Just do it within the flow of the game responsibly. The way Robinson tackled Jackson might be legal, but what good does a tackle where both players are knocked out do to serve the NFL?

There's more than one way to tackle, otherwise you'd see every corner back in the league destroying receivers on crossing routes underneath. I mean you ever see Deion Sanders or Champ Bailey knocking somebody unconscious? They obviously know how to tackle don't they?

There is a reason why a guy like Ronnie Lott is in the hall of fame despite hitting people hard (including defenseless receivers) and a guy like Chuck Cecil was pretty much run out of the league as a player. Lott hit people hard within the flow of the game. He made big hits when it was the right play. Cecil would go out of his way looking for big hits (which seems like what alot of young players are looking to do now to make their names in the league).

Much of the h2h problem and defenseless offensive player are unintended consequences of the rule changes in the 70s that made chucking a receiver only legal in the first five yards and only allowing it once. Back when I grew up, you basically could prevent all but the biggest receivers from going on routes like the one Jackson went on and make it harder for even big guys like Todd Heap to run such routes. Also, late over the top help on fades, flags, corners and posts where the safety can pretty much only hope he can hit hard enough to jar the ball loose did not occur as much

Wow. Get off the soap box. Nobody is saying tackle at 75%. Nobody is saying don't let the defense tackle. Just do it within the flow of the game responsibly. The way Robinson tackled Jackson might be legal, but what good does a tackle where both players are knocked out do to serve the NFL?

There's more than one way to tackle, otherwise you'd see every corner back in the league destroying receivers on crossing routes underneath. I mean you ever see Deion Sanders or Champ Bailey knocking somebody unconscious? They obviously know how to tackle don't they?

There is a reason why a guy like Ronnie Lott is in the hall of fame despite hitting people hard (including defenseless receivers) and a guy like Chuck Cecil was pretty much run out of the league as a player. Lott hit people hard within the flow of the game. He made big hits when it was the right play. Cecil would go out of his way looking for big hits (which seems like what alot of young players are looking to do now to make their names in the league).

You're contradicting yourself in this post. Don't let up, but do it responsibly? Hard hits are there because people are following their instincts. Nobody thinks through a tackle, and if you're trying to, then the ball carrier is probably celebrating a touchdown by the time you figure it out.

Your ideas would've gotten Chris Wilson a suspension from the opening kickoff and kept Sean Taylor and LaRon Landry from ever being drafted.

Lott made big hits and that's one of the major reasons that he's as famous as he is and one of the reasons that he IS in the Hall; he's not in there DESPITE the big hits. You're then saying that he hit defenseless receivers, but it was okay? What about Pat Fischer? Big hits were his game. Lawrence Taylor? The list goes on.

If you don't want to get hit, then don't get on the field. I don't want to run the risk of a parachute failing, so I don't jump out of planes. It's that simple.

Archived