Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC News: Year After Obama Won Nobel, World Looks for Signs of Peace

SnyderShrugged

http://abcnews.go.com/US/year-obama-wins-nobel-world-signs-peace/story?id=11825176

One year after the Nobel prize jury made its controversial decision to award President Obama the prize for world peace, a larger jury is still waiting for the president to live up to those lofty expectations.

Even some of Obama's allies -- like former Nobel laureates Al Gore and Jimmy Carter -- declined to assess his performance in fulfilling what the peace prize citation said was his "vision" of world harmony.

The one year anniversary of Obama's prize comes as fighting is escalating in Afghanistan, the war in Iraq continues to smolder and Obama struggles to keep fledgling Middle East peace talks from collapsing. Drones are firing missiles in unprecedened numbers and confrontations with Iran and North Korea are hotter than ever.

more at link

I knew at the time the Nobel Prize committee did the President no favor by awarding him the Nobel, that assessment seems to have been born out. Of course they hurt the reputation of the prize even more (although its' reputation had been on the decline for years).

Really a shame that the prize has been tarnished in this way. It used to KIND OF actually count for something. You know, they used to give these type of awards out AFTER someone earned it. Not so anymore I guess. Any chance I can get the Heisman handed out to my favorite player before the season really gets underway???...:)

Well, it was utterly ridiculous to award Obama the Nobel Peace Prize. Obama himself said so. He was right. I hope one day he can do something to be worthy of it, but so far he isn't. Sure, he got us out of Iraq, but that's about it and it's not much. He hasn't figured out Afghanistan... if it's even possible to figure out Afghanistan. He's opted to continue a number of Bush's more dubious programs. He hasn't engineered a peace for anyone or forced a policy change in this country or another that is big enough.

It was a stupid thing to award him the prize.

Mind you, as I said back then... if someone were to offer it to me I would question their sanity too, but I would still accept it.

Well, it was utterly ridiculous to award Obama the Nobel Peace Prize. Obama himself said so. He was right. I hope one day he can do something to be worthy of it, but so far he isn't. Sure, he got us out of Iraq, but that's about it and it's not much. He hasn't figured out Afghanistan... if it's even possible to figure out Afghanistan. He's opted to continue a number of Bush's more dubious programs. He hasn't engineered a peace for anyone or forced a policy change in this country or another that is big enough.

It was a stupid thing to award him the prize.

Mind you, as I said back then... if someone were to offer it to me I would question their sanity too, but I would still accept it.

The troops are out of Iraq? Since when?

The last combat troops left a few months ago unless my brain is malfunctioning (which is always possible)
:ols:

considering I was 13 at the outset of the war and there is still a distinct possibility that I'm going to be deployed there in the next three years makes that statement all the more hollow and laughable.

The last combat troops left a few months ago unless my brain is malfunctioning (which is always possible)

Burgold is absolutely right. A few months ago we renamed some troops and voila no more combat troops. (Who cares that they are the SAME types of unit, with the SAME types of equipment, doing the SAME types of things)

The Nobel peace prize is a joke. The criteria for winning is similiar to the process used for Hollywood movie awards.

The sad part, is that if Burgold believes this, you know the average american voter probably fell for the exact same stunt, and also believes it.

And then they go vote.

. Sure, he got us out of Iraq, but that's about it and it's not much. .

I take it you are NOT an investigative journalist. As someone else mentioned,....50,000 troops still in Iraq. Taking combat units and renaming them is ....well, pretty much DISHONEST.

Now what was that I said again in another thread?? Oh yeah,...about taking a story and bending it JUST ENUFF to make it look like something it isnt.....:)

Did Obama really get the award for any foreign policy ideas, or for being the first black American president?

MLK got a Nobel prize, and it wasn't for any foreign policy issues.

As to why the guys in Sweden would care... hey we're the US, what we do matters, and it's a good statement against racism.

edit: Can't believe Ghandi never got one, even posthumously.

Burgold is absolutely right. A few months ago we renamed some troops and voila no more combat troops. (Who cares that they are the SAME types of unit, with the SAME types of equipment, doing the SAME types of things)

We also shipped home A LOT of troops. It's not all fancy accounting.

We also shipped home A LOT of troops. It's not all fancy accounting.

Many went home only to go to Afghanistan shortly after. This president has nothing to do with "peace". He's no different from Bush in foreign policy.

Sadly, that was one area where I even grabbed onto the "Hope and Change" mantra. I should have known better

Archived