Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who still wants to trade Cooley for a ticket in next year's crapshoot?

Dark Acre

I basically made this point earlier in the season...but yeah it still holds true.

Fred Davis isn't bad, and I think if Cooley was gone, and Davis stepped into his position, he would be adequate, I don't think just because he is "faster and more athletic" that it would automatically translate into more or even the same amount of production. We've seen plenty of players in the league, who are fast and athletic, yet it doesn't translate to being a FOOTBALL PLAYER. Cooley is a gamer, the dude is a rock. He is pretty much the only guarantee right now on offense.

There is a reason Cooley is on crucial downs, and the one catching TD passes.

This is Fred Davis's third year in the league, and Cooley is in a new offense right along side him. The excuses for Fred Davis are just about over. So far he has been a "one big potential play a game" type of player, which is exactly what you would expect from a non-premiere/2nd/backup Tight End, but not your starter.

If the coaches thought Fred Davis was better than Cooley, I am sure he would have found his way onto the field more by now.

On a day where I've heard trade talks about DT, Fletch, Andre Carter and the always looming Fat Albert trades talks pfft. I think Davis would do fine (not as good as Cooley but good enough) but in the FA era its rare we to draft a pro-bowl caliber player, have that player be a fan favorite, and spend his entire career with the same team. Trading Cooley and possibility getting DT, Jason Campbell, or M. Kelly in return...no thanks!!

If the market is anything like last year we wouldn't get anything for Cooley....Holmes for 5th /: McNabb for 2nd /: Also a few other headscratchers that I can't recall right now. There's also a lot of good TE's right now.

With the draft being such a crapshoot I don't quite understand teams trading away good veterans for later round picks unless just for dumping salary. I'm not very sure what we could get for Cooley but maybe a 3rd? I'd maybe trade Cooley for a 1st but I defintely wouldn't putting Chris Cooley on the trading block.

If the market is anything like last year we wouldn't get anything for Cooley....Holmes for 5th /: McNabb for 2nd /: Also a few other headscratchers that I can't recall right now. There's also a lot of good TE's right now.

With the draft being such a crapshoot I don't quite understand teams trading away good veterans for later round picks unless just for dumping salary. I'm not very sure what we could get for Cooley but maybe a 3rd? I'd maybe trade Cooley for a 1st but I defintely wouldn't putting Chris Cooley on the trading block.

I like Chris but he's not worth a first.

One more point about Davis. I believe that incomplete McNabb pass to him was not McNabb's fault. He was leading him as he did Cooley but for some reason Davis just stopped.

But to the point of the thread good luck getting the people who wanted to trade Cooley to reply.

maybe im a homer, maybe its stupid .... but IMO some players like cooley just shouldnt be traded and i would never support cooley being traded

I feel way to loyal to him and would hate to see him in any other uniform he is a competitor, a personality, and a consistent player on a team that has been anything but consistent. i wouldnt trade chris cooley for a first round pic, because even first rounders arent guaranteed to be talented

One more point about Davis. I believe that incomplete McNabb pass to him was not McNabb's fault. He was leading him as he did Cooley but for some reason Davis just stopped.

Yea, I think if he'd of been covered, he'd of caught the ball.. (Or had a better shot at catching it) He was so wide open he turned around to face the qb, lost his momentum, and wasnt able to catch up to the pass..

This is Fred Davis's third year in the league, and Cooley is in a new offense right along side him. The excuses for Fred Davis are just about over. So far he has been a "one big potential play a game" type of player, which is exactly what you would expect from a non-premiere/2nd/backup Tight End, but not your starter.

I love Cooley, but don't **** on Davis. After Cooley went down last year, Fred Davis caught for 41 balls for 463 yards and 6 TDs. That projects to 66 passes for 740 yards and 10 TDs over a 16 game span, which is pretty similar to Cooley's best season. Oh, and he was in his second year....often staying in to help All-World LT Stephon Heyer block......had Jason Campbell throwing the ball to him....and Jim Zorn running the offense. How many "non-premiere/2nd/backup Tight Ends" do that?

I don't know why people keep bringing this one up. Cooley is not going to yield a first or even second round pick. Why, then, would you trade him for a third? Makes no sense. He's not a good trading piece because he's stuck somewhere between being a valuable member of the team and organization and not good enough to yield enough value to compensate for his loss. It's not going to happen.

I love Cooley, but don't **** on Davis. After Cooley went down last year, Fred Davis caught for 41 balls for 463 yards and 6 TDs. That projects to 66 passes for 740 yards and 10 TDs over a 16 game span, which is pretty similar to Cooley's best season. Oh, and he was in his second year....often staying in to help All-World LT Stephon Heyer block......had Jason Campbell throwing the ball to him....and Jim Zorn running the offense. How many "non-premiere/2nd/backup Tight Ends" do that?

This is good point. Overall Cooley is the better player, but Davis presents hands down mistmatches with LBs. Davis is the better receiver and Cooley just better overall for what you need your TE to do. It's a good problem to have. If we had another WR we could do more from 2 TE sets.

What i'm still wondering is why hasn't Fred Davis been worked into the lineup as a slot reciever. He doing no good sitting on the bench. Recieving is a strength of his, and with the weakness of the recieving core it seems like an obvious transition.

Archived