Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

What I've been finding myself asking is, how much of a difference is there between this season and the 2012-13 season, i.e. how much of an impact injuries had? Obviously injuries were the reason why we weren't a playoff team in '13, and I think injuries were a bigger problem that year than this year, but how much less of a problem were they this year? Coaching sucked this year, but was it really much (if at all) better in 2012-13?

This isn't meant to be a defense of Randy or Ernie, as we still fared worse than we should've fared even with the injuries, but I'm looking at these non-Cleveland teams in the Eastern playoffs, and I find myself thinking that they aren't any better than we are.

im comfortable believing injuries are mostly to blame for missing the playoffs. The team won 46 games last year and 41 this season. Pretty that many injuries (including a flawed and injured roster to start the season) accounts for 5 wins. 46 wins would have been the 7th seed.... and a 1st round rematch with the Raptors.

Injuries are why the team missed the post season. I'm fairly certain saying that. The team won 46 games last year and 41 this season. Pretty that many injuries (including a flawed and injured roster to start the season) accounts for 5 wins. 46 wins would have been the 7th seed.... and a 1st round rematch with the Raptors.

Injuries and terrible coaching decisions. Not playing Oubre at all was a major mistake. That was my biggest gripe with Randy. He hated rookies.

Injuries are what kept us from the playoffs, where we would have swept Toronto again. I like derozan, he seems like a nice kid. But beal would rip his heart out again. We should be thanking the gods because Witt would be extended. Whether brooks is the guy or not, he's better than randy and a better developer of young talent.

• Like 1

Are we sure developing players is all on the head coach? I'm think GMs play a role as well. I mention this because I get the impression Ernie has successfully heaped his failure in this area entirely on Wittman.

Just putting him on the court would help. He wouldn't even do that.

When y'all say injuries what you really mean is Beal can't stay on the court.  

Nene missed a bunch of games but what else is new?  Porter, Gortat and Wall missed a half dozen games which is to be expected over the long NBA season. 

Yogi Ferrell workout sched:LAL (5-16), LAC (18), Suns (20), Utah (22), Chi (23), Atl (25), Mavs (26), Det (31), Wiz (6-2), Nets (8), NY (10)

SInce they don't have a draft pick, the Wizards are going to work out players they believe have a chance of going undrafted. Ferrell is one.

@jorgeccastillo They should be top destination for udfa's. No draft picks and tons of roster spots.

When y'all say injuries what you really mean is Beal can't stay on the court.  

Nene missed a bunch of games but what else is new?  Porter, Gortat and Wall missed a half dozen games which is to be expected over the long NBA season. 

Alan Anderson played in 13 games.  He was brought in to essentially be this teams 6th man and help offset the loss of Paul Pierce. 

Picks 1-9 are protected, right?  So, there's a chance we do get a 1st round pick this year....I think.  Everyone saying we don't have a pick is making me 2nd guess what exactly we traded away LOL.

Top nine protection. The only way we keep the pick is if we win the lottery and jump into the top three. We're almost guaranteed to pick 13th, so the pick is gone for all intents and purposes. But we do have a minuscule chance of moving up and keeping it.

We moved up from 8th to 3rd in 2013. That's how we got Otto. We also moved up in 2010 from 5th to 1st to win the John Wall sweepstakes. So I'm thinking we've used up all of our lottery luck.

However, Cleveland did move up to get three #1/#1s in a span of four years. And we did move down in 2012 (just from 2nd to 3rd), 2011 (4th to 6th), and 2009 (2nd to 5th). So maybe we still have some luck left over on balance.

Top nine protection. The only way we keep the pick is if we win the lottery and jump into the top three. We're almost guaranteed to pick 13th, so the pick is gone for all intents and purposes. But we do have a minuscule chance of moving up and keeping it.

I know there are percentages attached to records and chances to land certain picks, but why is the only way that we keep the pick if we pick in the top 3?  Are we for sure not getting a pick between 4-9? 

I'm probably just over thinking this and confusing myself LOL....

*Sucks that we have to rely on ping pong balls to make up for Ernie's blunders SMH

Edited by RonArtest15

I know there are percentages attached to records and chances to land certain picks, but why is the only way that we keep the pick if we pick in the top 3? Are we for sure not getting a pick between 4-9?

I'm probably just over thinking this and confusing myself LOL....

*Sucks that we have to rely on ping pong balls to make up for Ernie's blunders SMH

The lottery is only for the top 3 picks.

The lottery is only for the top 3 picks.

I was thinking of a lottery selection being 1-13 or 1-14, whatever it is. 

Yeah you can only "win" a top three pick. That's why the team with the best odds can never pick lower than 4th, 2nd best never lower than 5th (which is what happened to us in 2009), and so on all of the way down.

Gotcha.  Makes sense. 

In a weak draft, this would be our year to luckbox into a top 3 pick.