Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Beal always looks so damn scared to shoot or just can't get open.

He doesn't create his own shots (was his knock coming out of college) but he's said to be Ray Allen-like in that he runs about from spot to spot eventually shaking his defender via superior cardio. He then jumps ram rod straight into the air before executing a text books shot release, a thing of beauty that must be seen to be understood. Eventually the ball wil go in at Ray Allen like percentages even though they didnt in college, summer league, or so far in the preseason.... But they will and when they do he'll be a terrific role player.

Edited by Destino

He doesn't create his own shots (was his knock coming out of college) but he's said to be Ray Allen-like in that he runs about from spot to spot eventually shaking his defender via superior cardio. He then jumps ram rod straight into the air before executing a text books shot release, a thing of beauty that must be seen to be understood. Eventually the ball wil go in at Ray Allen like percentages even though they didnt in college, summer league, or so far in the preseason.... But they will and when they do he'll be a terrific role player.

Woah. Tell us how you really feel :ols:.

Is this pent up? Beal's been pretty good throughout TC and the preseason. I'm not feeling the negativity with him.

---------- Post added October-26th-2012 at 10:54 PM ----------

BTW fellas, Extreme Skins fantasy basketball league needs players. We've got at least three openings left. Join up.

http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/extremeskins

password: httr

We're doing a live auction Monday night at 7 so there isn't a ton of time left to join.

And the game ends with Beal 0-6 with zero points in 19 minutes. Bummer.

Preseason is over! First regular season game is at uncle Drew's house on Tuesday. It will be interesting to see what the lineup is with the injury situation being what it is.

---------- Post added October-26th-2012 at 11:11 PM ----------

Woah. Tell us how you really feel :ols:.

Is this pent up? Beal's been pretty good throughout TC and the preseason. I'm not feeling the negativity with him.

I've never felt Beal had any star potential. I believe I said at the time that he was OJ Mayo and we could have signed him off the street. I hope to be proven horribly wrong. His numbers certainly look good compared to TRob and MKG in the preseason though.

Ray Allen became that player in Boston, but he could create his own shot when he was younger. He was even playing the point in Milwaukee before Cassell arrived and played some for Seattle.

Ray was a better athlete than Beal too.

Ray Allen became that player in Boston, but he could create his own shot when he was younger. He was even playing the point in Milwaukee before Cassell arrived and played some for Seattle.

Ray was a better athlete than Beal too.

The Beal and Allen comparison ends at the off the ball movement and textbook shooting form. Beal is shorter and has a more developed upper body. I think the hope is that he's capable of being physical on both ends of the floor.

So guesses as to the rotation for opening night?

Price - Mack

Beal - Crawford

Webster - Ariza - Singleton

Booker - Singleton - Vesely

Okafor - Seraphin - Vesely

Assuming all those players are able to go.

That sounds reasonable but when push comes to shove I think Wittman will go with Pargo to spell Price.

I'm not saying he should do it but I suspect that will be the case.

I've never felt Beal had any star potential. I believe I said at the time that he was OJ Mayo and we could have signed him off the street. I hope to be proven horribly wrong. His numbers certainly look good compared to TRob and MKG in the preseason though.

I think Beal will surprise you. He's a player everyone GM-wise actually liked. He brings a lot to the table and takes almost nothing off. Tough, pretty athletic, high motor, high IQ, smooth game with nice mechanics. He rebounds, defends, and shoots. Cerebral player should be a good fit for this team.

He shot well in the final third of the college season. Shot like he did in H.S. and like I think he's capable of going forward. Played pretty well through the preseason, nothing crazy, but good play. His is the type of game that will unfold in the NBA over time rather than blowing us all away right off the bat with a couple of special skills. He doesn't have those attributes like John, who made an instant impact on the league with his speed and explosive athleticism, or Kyrie with his ridiculously advanced handles. Beal will get the tricks of the trade down and eventually just chug out production and strong, assignment sound play.

You can draft a bunch of youngsters with high IQs but they're still not going to beat NBA veterans at their own game until they too have a solid degree of veterancy. They're going to be seeing crap they've never seen before for years. Especially from a team like the Spurs.

So guesses as to the rotation for opening night?

Price - Mack

Beal - Crawford

Webster - Ariza - Singleton

Booker - Singleton - Vesely

Assuming all those players are able to go.

That looks like a lottery team. Please fire Grunfield.

That looks like a lottery team. Please fire Grunfield.

Wall - Price

Beal - Crawford

Webster - Singleton - Ariza

Nene - Booker - Vesely

That's a lot better. The PG and PF are massively upgraded and the bench has multiple scoring options. The downside is that it lacks any individual high end scoring and has little range. It is a lot better than what we are likely to see in Cleveland though. Not many teams look very good minus their two best players.

Seraphin would start at the 4 over Booker. But he's been hurt too.

Anyone else got tickets to the home opener?

Has he shown the handles or range for it in the regular season yet?

Also I read that Seraphin is out against the Cavs. Bleh.

Edited by Destino

Nike likes Beal

Wizards rookie Bradley Beal has agreed in principle to a shoe deal with Nike, according to his agent, Mark Bartelstein. Terms were not disclosed, but Bartelstein said Beal plans to sign “a multi-year” deal with the brand.

“We’re excited about it,” Bartelstein said.

The third overall pick last June, Beal has worn Nike throughout his high school, AAU and college career, but Under Armour made a push for his services as well. Beal wore a pair of the shoes during a practice a few weeks ago, but has been in Nike for games and practices ever since.

“It will be a great opportunity for Brad,” Bartelstein said. “Obviously, Nike does terrific things and I think he’s going to be a big part of their plans going forward.”

Beal ranks second in scoring through the preseason at 12.9 points per game.

Tom Ziller (SB Nation) does not like Wittman

Put it all together -- three veteran defenders, two of which (Okafor and Nene) can score, and two young stars-in-the-making -- and it looks like the Wizards are on the right path, right?

Welp.

The blueprint for this team is to be elite on defense and okay on offense. That's what the Bulls did in Derrick Rose's third season. Here's the major, unavoidable difference: the Bulls had Tom Thibodeau while the Wizards have Randy Wittman. Wittman had the team for most of the 2011-12 season. The Wizards were No. 27 in defense. In Wittman's last full season at the helm of a team (the 2007-08 Timberwolves), his team finished No. 27 in defense. In two seasons in Cleveland, Wittman's teams ranked No. 14 and No. 22. The season before Wittman had taken over, under Mike Fratello, the Cavaliers were No. 12 in defense.

Most damning is perhaps the 2006-07 Timberwolves, when Wittman took over for Dwane Casey (who had the team 20-20) and finished 12-30. Under Casey, it was a strong defensive team led by Kevin Garnett. Under Wittman, it was an aimless team with no principal strength.

This is not the coach you want running your defense-first team, especially one depending on the development of two young guards.

Beal signing with Nike is going to be a lot better for his career than Wall's signing with Reebok.

Consider the differences in the way John Wall and Kyrie Irving are each perceived. What about Kyrie's career says "real deal, about to make the leap to superstardom" versus John's "teetering on bust" narrative?

And yet that's exactly what the basketball world is thinking about both of them. You better believe John's anonymity and lack of marketing has effected him, the basketball world thinks his organization is for losers--when they think about it at all. Yet Kyrie Irving has a few memorable commercials that generated a ton of buzz and he's in the collective consciousness and they start noticing the good parts of his game.

Nevermind the fact that the dude's team wasn't much better despite the fact it actually had real NBA players on it. Nor the fact that he's a more limited player who could only get 30 minutes a game because of how bad he was defensively. He's a great shooter, has flashy handles, and has cool shoe commercials. He's a good player no doubt. But is he better than Wall? Only as a scorer really. Wall's actually much better at getting to the line, passing, rebounding, and defending plus he's doing it playing more minutes and for a worse team that has not been able to actually space the floor Wall's entire tenure. Is Kyrie's individual future any brighter than Wall's? I doubt it.

Though the masses could very well turn on Kyrie after this year if he hits a wall or doesn't improve like people expect. They turned on Wall and Griffin and Rose after their second seasons.

---------- Post added October-27th-2012 at 10:49 PM ----------

That mirage of a win streak to end the season really set us back a couple of years.

It saved both Grunfeld & Wittman.

I think it was less the win streak and more Ted's ridiculous conservatism and remarkable stubbornness about totally ignoring the criticism of outsiders. If it didn't sound so crazy, I'd say it's almost like he tries to thwart the criticism out of spite.

---------- Post added October-27th-2012 at 11:02 PM ----------

It feels like Ted is the exact opposite of Dan Snyder. People loved him for this at first. But when his conservative approach has yielded some hard times it's tanked his popularity IMO.

It's like Ted is saying, "I'm going to be loyal dammit! I am a man of my word and I'll stick with a bunch of turds to prove a point about staying the course!"

Nevermind that no one on Earth thinks Ernie or Wittman actually deserve yet another chance. Probably not even Ernie and Wittman.

Is this even a make or break year for Ernie? If we have a horrible season and pick in the top 3 yet again, would there even be any chance he gets fired? Actually, we should be so lucky. No I think we're probably just good enough for that to never even come up. We'll finish like 9th or 10th in the conference and plant ourselves firmly in no man's land with a team with no flexibility for an entire season after this one.

We need a culture change in the FO.